Annual electricity usage 25000 kWh

Hello

Need some expert advice please. We have electric heating (around 13 radiators). Most we replaced last year to Fischer modern ones to reduce our bills but our annual electricity usage is working out about 25,000 kWh p.a. which is just crippling us financially.
The house is ca. 1900 square feet but we don’t have them on at all in the Summer and try to moderate in the Winter.

We have a 3 phase meter which was installed ca. 2 years ago. EDF don’t believe there to be a fault with the meter but this can’t surely be right?!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally would like someone to take a look at the meter.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    First mistake was fitting the Fischer heaters. No way would they save you money, in all probability exactly the opposite. What heating did you have previously, panel heaters or storage heaters ?
  • Why do you say that please?

We had night storage heaters before. No idea what make, but the big, bulky tyoe
  • ian103
    ian103 Posts: 883 Forumite
    Fischer heaters run on normal rate electic.

The first thing to check s that you have a competetive tariff, only reason I say that is Im currently checking mine and there is a significant difference between suppliers.

Then as a check how many KWs did you use with the old heating v. now.

The old storage heaters would have charged up at circa 7p per unit at night for 7 hours a day.

The new heaters are running at probably 16+p per unit for a number of hours albeit controlled by a thermostatic control system.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Are you still on a E7 tariff or did you change tariffs when you had your new heaters ?

You say 25,000 kwh a year - if still on E7 can you give a day / night split ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • WhoIsThat
    WhoIsThat Posts: 234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 July 2018 at 10:01AM
    Hello

Need some expert advice please. We have electric heating (around 13 radiators). Most we replaced last year to Fischer modern ones to reduce our bills but our annual electricity usage is working out about 25,000 kWh p.a. which is just crippling us financially.
    The house is ca. 1900 square feet but we don!!!8217;t have them on at all in the Summer and try to moderate in the Winter.

We have a 3 phase meter which was installed ca. 2 years ago. EDF don!!!8217;t believe there to be a fault with the meter but this can!!!8217;t surely be right?!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally would like someone to take a look at the meter.

Thanks in advance

Turn the heaters off. As the boss of BG once said, put on an extra woolly.

Of, and if this is your domestic living space, then see if the supplier will change your meter for a domestic one. Then you could benefit from domestic tariffs, which are often cheaper than commercial ones

Why did you have it changed 2 years ago? :huh:

:cool:

Oh, and watch that computer too ;)

ETA:
    Oh, and welcome back to MSE after 5 years! :rotfl:
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You have been misled.

Swapping Storage Heaters which fully utilise off-peak tariffs into heaters which use peak rate tariffs will cost you dearly.

Fischer heaters are not storage heaters - they use electricity whilst heating so cannot take advantage of cheap rate overnight tariffs. You probably need to swap to the lowest single rate tariff that you can find.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    WhoIsThat wrote: »

Of, and if this is your domestic living space, then see if the supplier will change your meter for a domestic one. Then you could benefit from domestic tariffs, which are often cheaper than commercial ones

Why did you have it changed 2 years ago? :

Whoisthat - I think you are assuming that 3 phase implies a business or commercial tariff.

You can have domestic 3 phase.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • WhoIsThat
    WhoIsThat Posts: 234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Whoisthat - I think you are assuming that 3 phase implies a business or commercial tariff.

You can have domestic 3 phase.

I'm not assuming anything :)

Hence I said "if this is your domestic living space"

It is unuaula to have 3 phase at a domestic property, and the OP has not yet explained why it was changed 2 years ago.

Also, most if not all of domestic tariffs (as shown on PCWs) are not available to those on a 3 phase supply.

Are you not going to give the OP a big welcome back after 5 years away?
    This forum relies on such posters! ;)
  • Can you read your meter hourly, daily etc and post these and I will look at them to try and help if possible

Take a photo each time you read the meter as proof to your supplier if needed
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Anthony_C wrote: »
    Can you read your meter hourly, daily etc and post these and I will look at them to try and help if possible

Take a photo each time you read the meter as proof to your supplier if needed

Posters various have long gone on this thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure