Halifax ulitmate reward - any sucess stories?

emilys12345
emilys12345 Posts: 1 Newbie
Hi all,
I opened a Halifax Ultimate Reward card in Dec 2003 - a mere 18yr university student who wanted a debit card to withdraw money/pay for things instead of using my Halifax Savers card and going into branch each time.
I was sold the Ultimate rewards and this was the only option I was given (as I was having a student loan paid into this account). As a naive student who had just moved away from home, I took it, being sold all the benefits and unbelievable value
Its only recently since being on Mat leave that I realise I should have been given a free option. I followed the MSE letter and explained as per above. I have just recieved a written response through the post saying they dont agree I was mis-sold with no other reasons. 'The available information does not show that the cover provided by your URCA was inappropriate for your needs or that you had alternative arrangements that meant you didnt have a need for some of the benefits for you your account'

Any one have advice for the next step? I know it is the ombudsman, but any advice on what to say and Is it worth taking one? :money:

Thanks all!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If you disagree, you can go to the Ombudsman with your complaint reasons.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There is nothing else to add, you have given the bank your complaint reasons, they rejected them so you ask the FOS to look at it with the same reasons and see what they say. FOS are an independent arbiter of complaints and will look at it as neutrals, if they agree or disagree with the Halifax they will let you know.

For what it's worth, FOS only upheld 19% of packaged account complaints from April 2016-March 2017 so don't hold your breath
  • It's not possible you weren't offered a fee-free account in 2003 as the URCA didn't exist in 2003. Halifax offered no PBA's until the URCA was rolled out Feb 2007.

This also means you weren't 18 and so your argument of being young and naive falls apart a bit as well. Go FOS.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's not possible you weren't offered a fee-free account in 2003 as the URCA didn't exist in 2003. Halifax offered no PBA's until the URCA was rolled out Feb 2007.

This also means you weren't 18 and so your argument of being young and naive falls apart a bit as well. Go FOS.

As above the account wasn't even announced until December 2006 so OP is wrong about the dates, I suspect they had a normal current account and later upgraded

Young and naive is never accepted as a complaint reason, someone who is 18 is allowed (or already allowed) to vote, smoke, drink, drive, work full time etc etc etc i.e. they are an adult with adult responsibilities.

If OP complained with these reasons alone it's not wonder they were rejected since they have not demonstrated any miss-selling. Almost certainly they upgraded the account voluntarily and will have received all the packaged account benefit statements
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure