The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,493
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Omg what have we done booked 6 night in Benidorm of all places and for Gay Pride. So not me but looks so much fun and why not embrace it and have some fun before we get too old for it. Actually good value for money half board all tickets and transfers £500 each incl flights at decent times from Gatwick.

My tenant sent some lovely pictures of my old garden looks so much better now than when she took it over she's done a fab job. Would be nice if she wanted to buy it but how do you broach that without sounding like you need her out.

Work a bit manic as one staff is off the other quite busy right now. I'm still enjoying it and learning much but trying to turn stuff around outside my team is hard work and someone who is paid a lot of money is useless and wastes everyone's time.

Soon need to look at my tax return and shuffle money around for savings. Got charges £12 in late payment fee on credit card forgot when you change from min payment to max it cancels one month so stupid. Well live and learn.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Feb 24 £41,650 (Wins, Jan £200 Feb £150) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• Why don't you send a card/email letter thanking her for the work she's done on the garden and spell it out honestly.

Whilst I'm not looking to sell the house, and as long as you wish to remain a tenant, I will be happy to be your landlord, should you wish to consider purchasing the property yourself, I would be willing and open to have that conversation with you.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • TallGirl
    Forumite
    Why don't you send a card/email letter thanking her for the work she's done on the garden and spell it out honestly.

Whilst I'm not looking to sell the house, and as long as you wish to remain a tenant, I will be happy to be your landlord, should you wish to consider purchasing the property yourself, I would be willing and open to have that conversation with you.

That's a really good idea I'll think of that might be a way forward but not sure we know when the move will happen maybe wait a bit.

Been a heck of a week as DG had so much work on she needed to get up at silly o'clock and work or be in the office. She's helping a friend of mine get housed in Cornwall step one completed but it's a long road. I'm glad she's helping my friend isn't good right now.

Wednesday was my first counselling session it was only meant to be an assessment but I told him my story some in quite detail. It was hard talking of the day I was told ex dh had been found and I had to tell his family. I'm sure there is stuff there unresolved. I've now got six more sessions I think it will be worth it and I should hopefully cope better with work too keep them more seperate.

Went to an evening event and then worked from home the next day. Quite a bit of work to do as two member of staff was off but got it done and reports submitted on time. Ceo has been off from Thrus to Tues so has been quiet at least.

Friday got email I have been selected for interview for a trustee role linked in the field of dream job really happy about that might not get it but it's great to be selected. Interview 20th and need to so short presentation. Not a great day to be off work counselling in the morning and team meeting pm which I will miss. Not good but cannot be helped.

This weekend has been nice saw Trooping of the colour got really close and saw the parade, the waves on the balcony and the flyover. Only spend zone 1 ticket and three coffees in Pret. Cheap day out and important to do London stuff as we are here.

Today haircut at 12.15, then chill and meal prep for week then golf range again tonight. Had lesson Thursday my swing almost sorted DG has a way to go. Did go last night too but important to work on after a lesson.

Still not transferred Danish money might have go a sending small amount also need to do accounts for house.

Might have quick nap so nice not having to get up early. Only managed two runs last week but still we got out and DGs work was manic.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Feb 24 £41,650 (Wins, Jan £200 Feb £150) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    TallGirl wrote: »
    Omg what have we done booked 6 night in Benidorm of all places and for Gay Pride. So not me but looks so much fun and why not embrace it and have some fun before we get too old for it. Actually good value for money half board all tickets and transfers £500 each incl flights at decent times from Gatwick.
    Never fear TG - if it all gets too much for you there is an excellent train service going a bit north to Denia and Calpe and buses run regularly to villages in the hills. People say how lovely the Old Town is in Benidorm, personally I didn't think it was that great but just so much better than the Brittidorm of the North Beach!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • TallGirl
    Forumite
    Thanks for the tip Gallygirl I'll remember that glad there are escape routes might well be needed. We are staying right in the old town so at least that's something.

Busy week for DG and workwise for me. Dg got up at 5.30am today and yesterday. Today I went for a run managed 35 min for the first time but it was hard. Bath and breakfast before going into work will be a long one today. We have an event this evening so I'll be home long after 9 the joys.

Tried to transfer the Danish money across as a test before the large amount but I had to call up and I'll have to do that each time. Pain in the bum so may as well get the Bank to do it only £20 from them so not worth the hassle when you take £5 for test transfer and two phone calls will quickly amost match the £20.

Still having quite a few lattes at worth need to stop but I sometimes need timeout of the office so I'll keep doing it after my counselling sessions. Had second one yesterday really good not as tough as the first one but I can see it's helping. Nice to know my two team members have taken up the offer as well makes me feel calmer.

Work is interesting getting stuck into helping ceo with other work that should be done by other person who is useless sadly. I've got a plan and I can implement it but useless person needs to do some work well below her job title but as she's useless she migth not even be able to do that. It's so bad Open someone has been in a job 7 years and are still so bad and no one said anything. Too late really.

Got interview for trustee post next week need to do a 5min presentation trying to do it but away this weekend so not looking good but I'll get it done.

Would be amazing to get it at least I have interview I'm guessing it depends if I fit in and they need my skill set.

Right might as well get to work early I can work on my presentation need research first anyway.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Manchester was brilliant loved the weekend so much fun. Hotel was 5 min walk from station were Abel to check on two hours early which helped. Right next to Canal Street and all the gay bars we really wanted to see so got to visit that before the concert. Had dinner in flat nice kitchen with everything so that was very MSE we also brought snacks with us and breakfast. Really easy to get to concert security really strict so glad we left early. Fantastic view and loved the concert. Got back to hotel easy too free coffe etc in lobby and then went out to a gay club, got in for free as no cash was £2 as it as late. Cocktails £5 each really good fun. Left this morning to check out at 11 then full English which wasn't great wondering around before train at 2.30. Got home just before 6 but could have got an earlier train would also have stopped us buying crap incl Krispy Creme donuts and Greggs Meal deal.

Dinner done just need bath then early night as shattered.

Messaged ex colleague who will be helpful for trustee interview she's made me doubt what angle I was taking my presentiaon so rethink and need to read a huge report. Running out of time but can hopefully do a bit at work time. No counselling next week cancelled so can work from home Weds before my interview and prep a bit of I'm not done. Would be less hectic.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Working from home today my counselling was cancelled and as I have taken half days leave it didn't make sense to battle into the office. I'll be doing prep but also need to work some big reports coming up soon.

I feel nervous about the interview I know it's a voluntary post and not a job interview but it's an organisation I admire and it would interest me plus be helpful for furture jobs. It's something I should have looked at years ago to keep my hand in my chosen field but I didn't so not too late now either.

Didn't get out to run this morning but had a nice lie in actually still in bed. DG was up early yesterday her work load is insane right now but she's taken on too much work which is actually her own fault. Good learning for future self employment and she'll cope I know.

Got the paperwork done for the Danish money to come over and IFA has worked out what I'm doing with it it's all going into my pension so that's nice 20% extra on top from HMRC.

Some good wins at work yesterday sorting something else out apart from my role and it's getting there. Did some prep with my CEO which was good for a training session on the 28th so look forward to that being sorted. We are getting along better she's still taken a big chunk of my project but not a lot I can do about that she's not willing to hand it over as it's so high profile. Just have to put up with it.

Right best get up and at it.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Didn't get it, sad but feedback on Monday so will know more. I can imagine a lot of more qualified candidates with big jobs and titles but hey ho I got to the interview stage. Still feels crap though.

Danish money had arrived so £40k for my pension and £7k to save as I have promised to help dg with £10k for her new venture next year. She's agreed I can put £5k into premium bonds in her name so that will help. Just the other £2k to do something with.

Golf today later and then completion tomorrow. Should be nice dg is out next Saturday night over night so I can play next week too which is just cool.

That's it nothing else interesting lol
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Really sorry to hear that TG. But, as you say, getting an interview is very positive. It must really hurt though, we've all been there.

Great weather for golf. Hope you have a great time.
  • TallGirl
    Forumite
    Thanks SuzieSue yes weather fab and Golf was good today not too slow and played ok need to do better for comp tomorrow though. Got my red and white outfit ready Ned to wear World Cup colours and DK is easy but bringing a flag as I don't want them to think it's England lol. We have a lot of Koreans so red and white too.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure