Car Insurance - getting the best price

Options
It's that time of year again, heralded by an eMail from Confused.com telling me that my Car Insurance is nearly due for renewal.

Helpfully, they've sent me a set of quotes based on my details from last year. My current provider's renewal letter arrives a few days later, and it looks like there's money to be saved.

So, I hop on to Confused.com, verify all the details and get a fresh quote. I tinker with some of the optional things to see what difference it makes to the premium.

I notice that Admiral is coming in second in price, and when I find out that I can get £51 cashback from Quidco, I'm over there and plugging in my details... only to find that their quote via Quidco is over £100 more. Bad form Admiral, I never liked you. :(

So, back to my current provider, and a quick phone call gets me a matching price, more or less - a saving of £53 or 14%.

Did I do the right thing forgetting about tackling Admiral on their duplicitous pricing?

I'm done now for this year, but what other things should I bear in mind for the future?

Is there anything I can do to preserve my 11 years No Claims record when my present insurer doesn't track it above 9 years, and is there any advantage to doing so?

Comments

• rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    It's that time of year again, heralded by an eMail from Confused.com telling me that my Car Insurance is nearly due for renewal.

Helpfully, they've sent me a set of quotes based on my details from last year. My current provider's renewal letter arrives a few days later, and it looks like there's money to be saved.

So, I hop on to Confused.com, verify all the details and get a fresh quote. I tinker with some of the optional things to see what difference it makes to the premium.

I notice that Admiral is coming in second in price, and when I find out that I can get £51 cashback from Quidco, I'm over there and plugging in my details... only to find that their quote via Quidco is over £100 more. Bad form Admiral, I never liked you. :(

Yet you were on Confused.com which is owned by.......
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Blame quidco for wanting to get paid when they find you this cashback deal?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    rudekid48 wrote: »
    Yet you were on Confused.com which is owned by.......

Yes, it's coming back to me now... Admiral.

Just as well I didn't buy through Confused or Quidco.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Blame quidco for wanting to get paid when they find you this cashback deal?

I thought that the unwritten rule of cashback was that it doesn't cost the consumer anything (at least not in the short term)?

If you're paying for your own cashback, that's a bit pointless. And paying for your cashback and then another £50 on top...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure