PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 September 2017 at 8:56PM
    Farway wrote: »
    I really should have more salads instead of chips :o

OMG .... was the salad poisoned? You're talking nonsense!!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good evening everyone,
    Today has been "one of those days" in lots of ways.... Turns out "toilet problem" is not just me but a fractured sewer elsewhere (sorry Dad:o) due to excess rain. Weather has been dire and internet playing up. Needless to say cooking has not been high on the agenda and dinner is a ping one + some oven chips- roll on duvet snuggling time:cool:

MTSTM - get the green toms on/near a sunny window and they will ripen. Might not be quite as tasty as vine ripened ones but fine for sauce/passatta;)
  • Thinking about food isn`t so hard today, I have a made veg juice in the fridge for later, masticated juice keeps a couple of days. Was up early, felt too cool so will have to adjust bedding for tonight and oatmeal with small figs is cooking for breakfast. Soup later, it turned out yummy, the tinned tomatoes and chopped flat leaf parsley added that extra nice taste to an `ordinary` lentil and carrot soup. Looks like a cheese salad at mid day, feta and I am going to have a go at freezing the rest of it in portions, so far every cheese has frozen well, a bit of tasty bulk with some frozen roasted parsnips. I really like them, they are not sweet and gives me as much mouth satisfaction as crisps. I only grew 2/3 of a bed this year, will grow a full bed next year

That leaves puddings: Dark chocolate, a bowl of blackcurrants and raspberries topped with puffed amaranth and half a yoghurt and the last currant bun when I fancy a treat

I have almost finished my freezer bread, I cannot wait to make bread on an as needed basis, using my bm
  • yum, the oatmeal is lovely and the figs make it sweet enough. I made it with hm almond milk and water and have just added more almond milk. The nut milk makes nice porridge and I make it from sprouted almonds, just until the tiny root starts to show. I soak the pinhead oatmeal all night in the fridge. Just right on a miserable windy day
  • There's a thought for when I get round to having a go at making my own plant milks. Note to self - try sprouting the almond a little first.

I've just "expanded my repertoire" a bit recently and added almond milk as one I'm okay with - after already having rice milk as one (but it's gotta be Rice Dream brand - and not any other make or I did have a go at making my own one time and it was not successful).
  • I just noticed your signature Moneyistooshorttomention, I have done that quiz and I am a Questioner too.:)

I had a sandwich for dinner last night.:o

Vegan cheese, marg, tomatoes, lettuce and brown sauce in a baguette. It was nice.:D I had a big handful of pistachios and an orange too.
    candygirl wrote: »
    Went to ALDI today, n got a top up shop.Tea will probs be a cheese omelette n chips later on , n I aim to make a red lentil lasagne too

Red lentil lasagne sounds nice. I've never made that before.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 13 September 2017 at 10:25AM
    Wednesday - Have you read the book with that quiz in? I'm wondering whether I should buy or borrow it?

I admit to being interested what proportion of the population are deemed to fall into each category. There's times when I think "Right - any time I question and the person being questioned obviously wishes I'd just 'take their word for it and obey'" I'm now inclined to turn round and say "Mine is a perfectly valid personality type - one of 4 in our society".

I think one of our roles is helping to keep our societies democratic (errr....well....in theory...ahem....:cool:) as we question people who try and make out they are more "important" etc (for whatever excuse they can think up to try and justify it - be it paid a lot more/born into right background/got a "Title" of some description as an "executive" of whatever-it-is). Making out we're Somebody or brown-nosing people that are making out they're Somebody 'r not us LOL. We don't suck up to people or look to be in the "in crowd" for the sake of it. At a cynics guess our least likely phrase would be "How do I fit in here?". Our most likely phrase "What's going on here? Please explain it logically to me".

Good job we don't live in Saudi Arabia isnt it? Our type probably "disappears" rather frequently or gets locked into their homes by a male "guardian":cool:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 September 2017 at 11:33AM
    Here's one that'll get some of you going .... I think I've decided that today is chicken stew & dumplings day :)

I've got peas, cabbage, swede, carrots, chicken ... so those would make the backbone of the stew. I've got sweetcorn I could chuck in ... and onions .... so it looks like "I might as well do that then" - and no decent stew is worthy of the name without a monster dumpling, or two more genteel ones, perched on top :)
  • Wednesday - Have you read the book with that quiz in? I'm wondering whether I should buy or borrow it?

I admit to being interested what proportion of the population are deemed to fall into each category. There's times when I think "Right - any time I question and the person being questioned obviously wishes I'd just 'take their word for it and obey'" I'm now inclined to turn round and say "Mine is a perfectly valid personality type - one of 4 in our society".

I think one of our roles is helping to keep our societies democratic (errr....well....in theory...ahem....:cool:) as we question people who try and make out they are more "important" etc (for whatever excuse they can think up to try and justify it - be it paid a lot more/born into right background/got a "Title" of some description as an "executive" of whatever-it-is). Making out we're Somebody or brown-nosing people that are making out they're Somebody 'r not us LOL. We don't suck up to people or look to be in the "in crowd" for the sake of it. At a cynics guess our least likely phrase would be "How do I fit in here?". Our most likely phrase "What's going on here? Please explain it logically to me".

Good job we don't live in Saudi Arabia isnt it? Our type probably "disappears" rather frequently or gets locked into their homes by a male "guardian":cool:

Haha, it was a while ago, but I think it was a podcast and a blog, not the book. :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good morning everyone,

The aubergine bake is being abandoned temporarily - I just don't fancy it as I've a real notion for mince & tatties.:) Though having just read PNs post could end up being mince & dumplings. The weather is supposed to pick up a bit after today so the veggie bake will get made when the weather is drier, it's currently tipping it down. Breakfast was the usual toast/fruit and lunch will probably be the last frozen portion of chicken soup.

MTSTM - I'm a questioner too!:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport