PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

soup maker

I like to take soup to work for my lunch, but as tinned soup may not be the best, I'm considering making my own.
So is it worth investing in a soup maker to do it all for me or is a saucepan and a stick blender just as good?
SPC 037

Comments

• 'Do it all?'

What's to do? You stick all your ingredients in a big pan and boil them for however long. You can use a stick blender if you want, but you don't even have to do that, just have it chunky.

Why has making soup suddenly become so difficult?

And have you seen the price of soup makers???
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    As above. Making soup is not rocket science. Chuck stuff in a pan, simmer till cooked. No recipe's needed, use whatever you have. Leave it chunky if you prefer, or whiz with stick blender if you like it smooth. Don't buy another gadget to stick at the back of the cupboard until you donate it to charity in ten years time.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I love my soup maker. It makes soup in 21 minutes and blends so well that I don't need to take the skin off the tomatoes ...

DD scoffed and said 'it's just a big kettle with built in blender'. Then went out and bought one for herself.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Hubs has one specially for work. He takes in veg (they have a fridge) and makes himself soup most days. We have one at home too that gets used weekends or if I am on an exercise drive I will stick it all in, go and do my workout/run and then back just as it finishes.
    You do have the cleaning up but it isn't bad if you immediately fill with water and a drop of washing up liq and give it a quick zap and let it soak while you eat your soup..
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 7 September 2017 at 12:31PM
    I'd start with the saucepan and stick blender if I were you. A stick blender can be got pretty cheaply and if you get one with a few different attachments you can use it for lots of different things. I've never seen or used a soup maker but I'm guessing they're more expensive and bulkier so I'd want to be sure it was worth the extra cash and space.

I make soup all the time and it is something you can just bung in a saucepan and leave to bubble away for a while so it's pretty low maintenance. There are plenty of recipes online if your want some inspiration but I tend to fry a bit onion and garlic, add any chopped veg I feel like, add stock, maybe add a handful or two of red lentils or a tin of some kind of beans, or some pearl barley, simmer until everything's cooked through. Blend ( or not). Eat.

You can add a few spoons of chutney, a handful of pasta shapes, leftover roast potatoes, pesto, chilli sauce, herbs, spices, etc, etc. It's the perfect use-up food!
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I just use a saucepan, and wuzz the resulting soup in the food processor before serving. I haven't the space for yet another gadget.
    Oh, and I don't bother skinning tomatoes - they seem to blend in just fine.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I use my slow cooker to make soup! I don't think I could justify the cost of a soup maker - it would be another gadget to store and I have limited space. I'd much rather use a stock pot and stick blender or my SC :)
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • I am a prolific soup maker and have soup daily almost,for lunch with crackers and cheese or as a starter in the evening before dinner.My late Mum used to make vats of the stuff when I was little and we either had soup before dinner in the evening, or a pudding,never had both.

She said that a soup starter helped fill up your tummy and therefore cut back on large dinners (she was a canny wee Scots lady who could streetch a shilling to do the work of ten )

Personally I wouldn't bother ,if you have not made it before it really is very easy to make and for around a fiver if you wanted to you can buy a stick blender to make it smoother. But I agree not much point buying a bigger bulkier gadget that may get stuck at the back of the cupboard. Stick blenders are easy enough to use .I have a jug blender attachment that goes on my Kenwood mixer which I had as an extra when I bought it several years ago. even a jug blender only costs about £15-20 and is useful for other things
  • Slowcooker for me...and a stick blender of I feel like having a smoother soup....generally I like a chunky soup.

There is nothing quite as satisfying as a bowl of warm, homemade, soup on a cold autumnal (or winter) evening....(maybe with a slice of homebaked bread...slathered with homemade joghurt cheese?)

I keep a container filled with soup-mix on the shelf...dried pulses, grains and sometimes pasta......and I always have a tub of Swiss Marigold Bouillon powder too...then just add whatever veg is leftover ...(add a bone if I can get a nice one...pig knuckle costs pennies and transforms a pot pf peasoup!).....I do like my soup!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If soup makers were cheaper I'd have bought one to try it. I seem to have a problem with veg/water ratios. My stick blender always seemed to have the soup too watery and the one time I tried the slow cooker instead of a pan, it was even worse. I didn't replace my stick blender when it broke for this reason, as I wasn't using it for anything else. I bought a worktop blender instead (just cheap one) and better results are got, but that's by straining a lot of the water off before blending it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure