PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,912
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Fen1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to shut down the old thread properly? We now have two threads running simultaneously.

I've sent a PM to zippychick who is the board guide for OS, hopefully when she sees it she'll lock the old one.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• hebwood
    hebwood Posts: 78 Forumite
    Hi everyone

Thank you Slinky for the new thread.

Well done to the newbees and all the other people on the 2016 thread who have made great strides in their KM-ing, it keeps me going. Hugs to others who need them.

As ever with me slowly does it, bits at a time, and finding new ways of using/disposing/storing stuff does bring a breakthrough now and then. And then JOY and the thought - why didn't I think of that before. So gradually getting there.

Take care
    H.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Old thread closed :)

I made you two nice tidy clicky links for your first post if you want them :j

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,979
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you Slinky for the new thread and Zippychick for locking the old one:A
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thank you Slinky and Zippychick.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,979
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    2 bags of clothes, books and household bits and bobs in the car ready to be dropped off at a little CS in a neighbouring town tomorrow which supports a small wildlife rehabilitation and rescue centre. To far to make a special journey, so will start another bag ready for the next opportunity.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 5,986
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks slinky and zippy.

Just back from my hols, ended up in The Netherlands visiting DS2 - he too has been reading 'the book' and has decluttered loads of 'stuff' and bought and fitted lots of lovely new storage units.

Before I left I put my old stinky slippers and worn out pjs in the bin, less to bring home and if I had brought them home I would have kept them, holes and all.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I am giving my mother-in-law a couple of food items we don't want and know she can use them.

I have three tubes of disgusting toothpaste, baking soda type and I keep thinking they must have some other type of use. I tried cleaning the sink with one tube, but it didn't work!:D
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,691
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have three tubes of disgusting toothpaste, baking soda type and I keep thinking they must have some other type of use. I tried cleaning the sink with one tube, but it didn't work!:D

You can use it to clean silver - wet the item, apply a little toothpaste and rub on (as you would with soap), leave for a couple of minutes, rinse and dry with a soft cloth. Repeat if necessary. If it's got intricate patterning you could use a soft toothbrush. The jury might be out on this one as some people say it scratches the surface although I haven't noticed it. Not that I have lots of silver to clean! :j
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    brilliant. I have been wondering what to do with old tooth powder. Just crossed my mind that I could use them to scour and polish the washbasin

Today started with last night, struggling to see my sewing, the room was too dark with the light on. Lightbulb moment, change the white matt ceramic shade, done that, I have bought a new spherical aluminium/crystal shade identical to that already in my light bright study, argos, got two and cheap enough. That lead to me swapping several shades around with two to go out. What a diffence, not just in the light output but the bright attractive new shades that look lighweight and not heavy and sombre. Was a palaver though as the ceilings upstairs are high and the ceramic shades heavy

Now have 2 JL silk shades to give away. After the swap around, I put 2 round matt ceramic shades, with small holes in them, into the downstairs hall and gosh, they make such a difference there, more calming than the normal silk shades. Feng shui is at it again :D a bi product of KM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure