Airline Credit Cards Discussion Area

Comments

• lev441
    lev441 Posts: 41
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi All,

Two questions please:

1) if you get a Lloyds card and use the upgrade, can you then use a companion voucher? Effectively upgrading two people return on the £7000 spend plus a companion voucher?

2) My mother has lots of points which she is happy to give to me. She does not currently live at my address. If she changed her address on Avios to match mine, and (after a while) we created a household account, could I spend her points? Is there an easier way of doing this?

Thank you!

1) Do you mean use a companion voucher from a BA amex card? You can't apply both vouchers to the same booking as one is an avios voucher and one is a BA executive club voucher.

2) Yes - by creating a household account with avios.com - the points are fully merged.

Happy to refer you for the Lloyds avios card if you haven't already got it - extra 4,500 points on offer for both of us! Drop me a PM if you'd like.
  • Beware Avios household account stops you transferring points from Avios to BAEC or Iberia.

Not a problem for some, but might be for others.
  • eagle
    eagle Posts: 586
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Beware Avios household account stops you transferring points from Avios to BAEC or Iberia.

Not a problem for some, but might be for others.

Not had this problem with my household account - I use my avios.com account for all transfers. Really worthwhile having accounts in all three of Avios.com, BA and Iberia.
  • I recently applied for the BA AmEx partly due to the fact that your article, and the AmEx webpage that it takes you to, offered 5000 points if you spend £1000 within the first 3 months of membership.
    It turns out this offer ceased 6 weeks ago (I didn't see any expiry date on their page) and when I opened my account my account summary showed it is now 1000 points if you spend £500 within the first 3 months.
    I have phoned and lodged a complaint. I got a good will gesture of 2000 put against my account, I'm waiting for further response from their account team!
    It would be worth updating your article to warn people of this....
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 April 2017 at 6:23PM
    StoveJ wrote: »
    I recently applied for the BA AmEx partly due to the fact that your article, and the AmEx webpage that it takes you to, offered 5000 points if you spend £1000 within the first 3 months of membership.
    It turns out this offer ceased 6 weeks ago (I didn't see any expiry date on their page) and when I opened my account my account summary showed it is now 1000 points if you spend £500 within the first 3 months.
    I have phoned and lodged a complaint. I got a good will gesture of 2000 put against my account, I'm waiting for further response from their account team!
    It would be worth updating your article to warn people of this....

Looks to me that the 5000 points offer is still there-I'd be pushing for the full 5000

However if you want accurate and good advice re Airline credit cards look at Headforpoints
  • StoveJ
    StoveJ Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 18 April 2017 at 5:14PM
    Yes it looked to me like it was still there and the AmEx representative confirmed the existence of the webpage (hence the 2000 good will points). It was after I had applied and then registered online for account access that my account summary showed the actual current deal!

Your Headfor points link shows the same out of date offer details...
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    StoveJ wrote: »
    Yes it looked to me like it was still there and the AmEx representative confirmed the existence of the webpage (hence the 2000 good will points). It was after I had applied and then registered online for account access that my account summary showed the actual current deal!

Your Headfor points link shows the same out of date offer details...

Both links I provided show the 5000 points for £1000 spend so I can't see why you did not get this.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    The offer is not out of date.

From https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/ click on "Avios Cards" and you get to a page telling you about this offer.

Pursue your formal complaint with Amex. You should get your 5000 and some compensation for your trouble. Amex customer service is usually brilliant.

You could have also got a referral bonus if you had asked an existing cardholder to refer you.

If you are after a two for one voucher, and hit £10K spend before your first account year ends, you can pay £195 to upgrade to BAPP and get the bonus voucher.

If you are not after the two for one voucher, consider getting the Lloyds Avios cards as well. 1.25 Avios per £1 for a £24 fee. Doubled up for the first 6 months. Referral bonus available if you dont already have any Lloyds cards or accounts.
  • Nick_C
    I am pursuing my complaint with AmEx and I have directed them to their webpage showing the 5000 points offer, which they agree shouldn't be there!
    My point in posting this was to warn others that this problem exists and to announce the fact that, if anyone is in the same position as me, they should complain and pursue it also...
    I have also emailed the MSE team for them to follow up for their article.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    I wouldn't stop recommending a sign up bonus based on your experience. Until Amex take that offer off their website, it stands.

Amex usually (always?) offer sign up bonuses. When I first got the BA card, it was purely for the £50 sign up bonus. I've never known a time when they were not offering some sort of sign up bonus.

And this offer is not just on the Amex site, it is also promoted on the BA site: https://www.britishairways.com/travel/home/public/en_gb

Do let us know the outcome when you hear back from Amex.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure