mortgage adviser interview holy moly

hiya guys

i have an interview as a trainee mortgage adviser soon in a high st bank and it would be fantastic if i can get any tips as i am extremely nervous.

It is a role playing interview which will involve me selling a mortgage product to a potential customer :eek:

any help would be wonderful. thankss

Comments

• Bean_Counter
    Bean_Counter Posts: 1,496
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not a situation I've been in myself (fortunately) but I would reckon the following:

1. Be on time for the interview!
    2. Dress appropriately, presumably a suit or equivalent if it's a bank
    3. Research the market. What products does this bank offer, be familiar with the product names, what are the current issues in the market such as interst rate movement, fees etc
    4. Try to keep calm and if necessary have a slight pause before answering. The interviewer will probably know that you are nervous, and it is best to make sure that your answer is appropriate rather than talk a whole lot of rubbish
    5. I presume that you should ask questions about the 'customer' to mkae sure that you are selling them the right product
    6. Why not call into another bank and have a meeting with them where you are the 'customer' and then glean some techniques from the way that you are interviewed.

I'm sure othe rpeople will have other ideas. Good luck for the interview.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    All of the above plus

Practice! Especially speaking clearly, not mumbling or gabbling.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • thanks guys.

hope u dnt mind i have sent a pm. :o
  • homer_j_3
    homer_j_3 Posts: 3,266 Forumite
    what do you wanna know lol!!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • homerj

anything that will help me get through the interview lol :p
  • Cute_'n'_Quirky
    Cute_'n'_Quirky Posts: 2,082 Forumite
    you should ask this on the mortgages and endowments thread - that is where the MA's hang out !
  • homer_j_3
    homer_j_3 Posts: 3,266 Forumite
    i have seen that you have asked that question on the mortage threads but will still answer on here because it is more relevant to job hunting than asking questions about mortgages.

You havent really indicated where you are with qualifications etc and I am guessing that if you are only at cemap1 stage then they will probably be looking more at your selling skills than your ability to understand the regulatory and compliance issues.

I would take a look at what direct competition the bank has in the location you are going to - make notes of what deals they are offering - look at what products the bank are offering and try use this in your interview somewhere - taking the time to know your competition and how your potential employer has the advantage.

The second thing I would look at and have a think about is how you overcome objections and turn a negative into a positive.

I would also remember to use peoples first names, make sure you are come across as natural as you can and let them see that you are an easy to relate to person because they will be looking at what the customer experience will be like.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure