Csa Help Info

Here is an old posting of mine lifted from another website I frequent. Please feel free to add on any more suggestions.

Help links:

Let's start at the very beginning. Do your homework first, get familiar with the CSA website.

http://www.csa.gov.uk/

Choose the link for CS1 or CS2.

Click on Contact Us and scroll down until you see:

"I have a query about my case / I want to make a complaint"

Click on your CSAC - Child Support Agency Centre.

I would recommend having this page open when dealing with the CSA officer over the phone, just in case they start to fob you off! The case officer can and should put you straight through to a CRO.

When dealing with the CRO - Complaints Resolution officer - always take their name and direct phone number. It should be a geographical number - not an 0845.

Use a phone company - I'm currently with Euphony - that lets you phone free up to 60 mins in Euphony's case - FOC any geographical phone number in the country. Do not transfer your line rental from BT.

This is also a useful link:

http://www.saynoto0870.com/

Always be polite and calm. Have your concerns written down before you contact them. Ask them to write a letter explaining what you both have agreed on in the phone call. You cannot expect to receive a reply the next day - that is totally unreasonable - but 7 working days is not. Arrange another date and time of phone call for an update.

If you still feel you are not getting anywhere now is the time to involve your MP. Explain this to the CRO and don't make it a threat - do it. Contact your MP immediately to make an appointment at their surgery. Again, write down your concerns and have all correspondence, list of phone calls and so forth with you.

Don't forget to mention Compensation.

The CRO does have the authority to put in for compo over the phone. I used to ask for it on frequent occasions. Sometimes I get it - usually 50 quid - sometimes not. But it helps.

Make friends with the MP's assistant (s ) - they write the letters on behalf of the MP, they can phone the CSA via the Parliamentary hotline, they can fax letters through, they can get account breakdowns, arrears figures etc sorted out. Again, ask them when you can contact them ( either in person or via phone ) for an update.

The CSA can also email the MP direct with information too. It is a complete waste of time trying to email the CSA themselves.

Remember MPs are there to help you. The MP will keep a file of your case, therefore all correspondence is recorded and cannot get lost!.

The MP then sends your letter of complaint to the Chief Executive's Office with a covering letter from themselves.

If the problem is still not rectified you then approach the Parliamentary Ombudsman via MP.

http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/

Don't bother with ICE no matter what anyone says. This can also lengthen the time it takes to resolve the complaint.

Back to doing your homework. It is always a good idea to have the correct page up in front of you when dealing with the CSA.

On the CSA website you will see Advisers Information. Click on it and scroll down until you see Staff Guides. Familiarise yourself with the section your query / complaint is about.

I have found the Enforcement Guide very useful indeed.

You can also ask for the Chief Exec and / or a Senior Case Manager to meet you in person in the presence of your MP at the Constituency office.

This posting is not comprehensive by any means. Please feel free to add any more information / links to this Topic.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/dwp/2003/frm/07_exgal.asp#f

A couple of good solicitors are:

James Pirrie - he does not take on Legal Aid cases - although I know he helped one person pro bono through MP.

http://www.flip.co.uk/

http://www.sfla.org.uk/ Click on media centre too.

Steven Lawson

http://www.forshaws.co.uk/csa.asp

But best to exhaust CSA's own procedures first.

Comments

• kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Good advice! I have to call Stephen Lawson of Forshaws today to discuss whether he will take on my case on a no win no fee basis as somebody here suggested they do!!!

Regarding Ombudsman; this has to be done via your MP but the CSA don't always tell the truth here either. They tell the ombudsman a few untruths and then get caught out which is what they did with me. I have complained but am still awaiting a response which they conveniently forgot to give before.
  • Sensemaya
    Sensemaya Posts: 1,739 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mr Lawson is dealing with my case at the moment. The CSA ( I have even spoken with the person dealing with the correspondence and have put in a complaint against them in the past ) have tried to fob him off and he has written a very strong letter back! Like everything with the CSA, it's a long drawnout process.

Having been to the Ombudsman twice I totally agree with you. But then you end up getting more compo and they can arrange an advance payment with interest!!! I must say I find the Ombudsman very efficient.
  • kelloggs36
    They refused me an advanced payment because they felt that even if the CSA had enforced effectively, my ex would not pay so they couldn't ensure the CSA would get their money back. HOWEVER, the reason that they came to this decision IMO is that the CSA told the Ombudsman that they had already considered my case for an Order for Sale as they have 3 Charging Orders on my ex's property. BUT, (and it's a big but) this was NOT the case. THere was a blanket policy devised between Baroness Hollis and the Chief Executive that NO cases could EVER be considered for an Order for Sale. So even though this policy was in place, the CSA fobbed off the Ombudsman by lying to them that they HAD considered my case by the circumstances of my ex prevented them from taking this action. This is complete bollo***. My ex has 80k equity in his property and admitted he has 2 children living there, but HE CHOSE not to pay the CSA so he only has himself to blame. Nobody in the house is disabled. He could take the money and either put it down on a new house or rent privately for 12YEARS at the rate the rent for a similar property is going for. That is without using his income thus he could save up for that 12 years and get another 12 years out of it. Hardly a great inconvenience is it? Meanwhile we have to scrimp and save because he CHOOSES not to pay and now he clearly won't be sent down next Friday as the news says that only dangerous criminals are to be sent to prison, so he gets away AGAIN. I am so totally sick of this. Either the law is the law and he has a LEGAL responsibility towards his child, or it isn't. If it isn't then the whole thing means nothing, nor does the CSA. I am about to phone Mr Lawson right now!
  • Sensemaya
    Sensemaya Posts: 1,739 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't they make you sick?

They told me they were going to go for Order of Sale, but then changed their minds because he started ' complying ' again. This has been going on for years, his ' complying'. Just a vicious circle.

And Hiliary Reynolds stated in a letter the reason for this is that he could lose his home.He has no kids living with him. It doesn't matter that I could lose mine if I can't pay the mortgage.

As for jail, it's not an option for self employed as the arrears become uncollectable ( unless he becomes PAYE - no chance ). It's the Law.

I would go back to the Ombudsman, Kelloggs.
  • kelloggs36
    Sensemaya wrote:
    Don't they make you sick?

It doesn't matter that I could lose mine if I can't pay the mortgage.[COLOR="Red[COLOR="Red"]"]EXACTLY THE POINT I HAVE MADE OVER AND OVER AGAIN. He MUST be protected at ALL costs, but THE QUALIFYING child could be on the streets, AND THAT IS OK???!!![/COLOR]As for jail, it's not an option for self employed as the arrears become uncollectable ( unless he becomes PAYE - no chance ). It's the Law. Whosays? THis is ALL they CAN do to Self employed people (such as mine is) How do the arrears become uncollectable? Only for the period he is inside!!!! When he comes out and goes back to work it is definately collectable! Under what grounds are they saying this as it isn't true.R="red"]]

I would go back to the Ombudsman, Kelloggs.
    I have instructed Stephen Lawson today!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure