Average Electricity Costs Poll

Comments

• I think the poll could have had more options for usage choices but I understand that was set up based on the OP,s experience of utility bills.I hope people dont think that if their usage is way different to the poll options that there is something wrong.Even £30 a months is very low IMO.Our bills for gas and elec are £250-£290 per quarter each!Thats for a 2 bed victorian semi which is double glazed and well insulated etc.Electricity,well I suppose its so high because we use the drier lots(west coast of scotland hardly gets a dry day even in summer)have 2 or 3 computers and 2 TV,s on almost 24/7.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • techmax76
    techmax76 Posts: 120 Forumite
    [FONT=&quot]During summer we use more than [/FONT]£30 for our electricity bills.
  • I live in a one bed (converted into 2 small beds) flat, Its an old place with high ceilings and a cellar (with electricity). I have alll the usual stuff, tv, pc, gas central heating, dual fuel cooker etc etc. I live with one small child but am not very frugal when it comes to gas and electricity usage.

Just received my statement from n power for 13 Dec - 5 June - so 6 months and my electricity is £467.64 (meter reading) and Gas is £552.51 (partly meter reading!). Thats £1020.15 for 6 months.

Even considering my 'non-thrifty' usage, does this sound possible????

would really apprecaiate opinions as It's making me feel very uneasy.

many thanks
  • CarineG
    CarineG Posts: 157 Forumite
    Thanks to Brian from Eon for the explanation. I was happy to find out that I have 3 months to pay my outstanding balance which will really help me.
  • CarineG
    dgastra wrote: »
    I live in a one bed (converted into 2 small beds) flat, Its an old place with high ceilings and a cellar (with electricity). I have alll the usual stuff, tv, pc, gas central heating, dual fuel cooker etc etc. I live with one small child but am not very frugal when it comes to gas and electricity usage.

Just received my statement from n power for 13 Dec - 5 June - so 6 months and my electricity is £467.64 (meter reading) and Gas is £552.51 (partly meter reading!). Thats £1020.15 for 6 months.

Even considering my 'non-thrifty' usage, does this sound possible????

would really apprecaiate opinions as It's making me feel very uneasy.

many thanks

This seems like a lot for 6 months (£170 a month) even though it is your winter bill. It would be a good idea to double check the meter readings and contact N Power to see how you can save on your energy usage...
  • Eag1e67
    Eag1e67 Posts: 8 Forumite
    I apologise if this is the wrong place to post this but thought you might want to read this to give you an idea on how 'helpful' British Gas are.....NOT!!!

Here is a little story about me & British Gas!

Once apon a time, there lived a consumer who moved into a tiny 1 bedroomed flat. He decided to contact British Gas to have his gas switched on with them. All went well. They came out & everything was sorted. He also decided to pay by monthly installments...........

.......WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WAS!!!!

He waited for his first bill, nothing arrived, so he rang them up. They told him that he wasn't to receive a bill as he was on 'token' meter. When he explained to BG that he wasn't, they replied that they would readjust the information on the acc & send a bill out. They didn't ( No surprise there ). This constant p[honing & explaining about not being on a token meter went on for over TWO YEARS then finally, after getting in touch with head office of BG, they decided that what he was telling them was the truth. A few weeks later, they sent him a bill for over £3000 for back payment totalling 29 months. Straight away, he phoned them up & asked them to explain themselves ( that was the polite version ). They said that he hadn't paid so he was responsible for the bill & they wanted the full payment or a large payment within 7 days.

He asked them to wait for his reply & that he will ring back the day after. When he rang them back, he explained that, by law, they could not make him pay for more than 12 months in arrears. They blatently called him a liar & asked him who told him that 'rubbish'. When he said CAB, the operator got angry & passed him to the manager. When he tried to explain to the manager about his case, the manager told him that unless he went on to a token meter, he would be cut off or BG would obtain a warrant to enter the property & fit a token meter. THis consumer knew a little about the law, but not enough at the time & reluctantly agreed to have the meter fitted & agreed to pay the debt back in small amounts per week. Anyway, the meter was fitted a month later, & he carried on using the tokens yet they didn't take his debt off. This got him livid so he rang them up ( but this time he waited just over 6 months to do it ) & asked to speak to the manager straight away.

This time, he remembered what the people from CAB told him & what he read on MSE site. He told them that because they made a mistake, it was THEIR fault about the debt, not his, and if they took 1p extra from his token payments, he would take legal action. AS soon as he quoted them words, it was like a hot knife being pushed into them. Within a few days, the debt was written off & they sent a letter stating it was an 'Internal computer error'.

I am still going to persue this as i still am not happy about the way i was treated & the end result isn't satisfactory. I am still with British Gas mainly because i want this all sorted before i change supplier.

And just for info, because i'm on a token meter, somehow i consume over £100 per month & i can't see how.
  • CarineG
    Eag1e67 wrote: »
    I apologise if this is the wrong place to post this but thought you might want to read this to give you an idea on how 'helpful' British Gas are.....NOT!!!

Here is a little story about me & British Gas!

Once apon a time, there lived a consumer who moved into a tiny 1 bedroomed flat. He decided to contact British Gas to have his gas switched on with them. All went well. They came out & everything was sorted. He also decided to pay by monthly installments...........

.......WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WAS!!!!

He waited for his first bill, nothing arrived, so he rang them up. They told him that he wasn't to receive a bill as he was on 'token' meter. When he explained to BG that he wasn't, they replied that they would readjust the information on the acc & send a bill out. They didn't ( No surprise there ). This constant p[honing & explaining about not being on a token meter went on for over TWO YEARS then finally, after getting in touch with head office of BG, they decided that what he was telling them was the truth. A few weeks later, they sent him a bill for over £3000 for back payment totalling 29 months. Straight away, he phoned them up & asked them to explain themselves ( that was the polite version ). They said that he hadn't paid so he was responsible for the bill & they wanted the full payment or a large payment within 7 days.

He asked them to wait for his reply & that he will ring back the day after. When he rang them back, he explained that, by law, they could not make him pay for more than 12 months in arrears. They blatently called him a liar & asked him who told him that 'rubbish'. When he said CAB, the operator got angry & passed him to the manager. When he tried to explain to the manager about his case, the manager told him that unless he went on to a token meter, he would be cut off or BG would obtain a warrant to enter the property & fit a token meter. THis consumer knew a little about the law, but not enough at the time & reluctantly agreed to have the meter fitted & agreed to pay the debt back in small amounts per week. Anyway, the meter was fitted a month later, & he carried on using the tokens yet they didn't take his debt off. This got him livid so he rang them up ( but this time he waited just over 6 months to do it ) & asked to speak to the manager straight away.

This time, he remembered what the people from CAB told him & what he read on MSE site. He told them that because they made a mistake, it was THEIR fault about the debt, not his, and if they took 1p extra from his token payments, he would take legal action. AS soon as he quoted them words, it was like a hot knife being pushed into them. Within a few days, the debt was written off & they sent a letter stating it was an 'Internal computer error'.

I am still going to persue this as i still am not happy about the way i was treated & the end result isn't satisfactory. I am still with British Gas mainly because i want this all sorted before i change supplier.

And just for info, because i'm on a token meter, somehow i consume over £100 per month & i can't see how.

Oh dear...

Very sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope it gets sorted soon.
  • Hi All,

I am baffled by the ever increasing costs and consumption too...

I live in a tiny 1 bed terraced cottage - no central heating,no bath (just a shower) gas boiler merely heats the water when you need it. We have a gas fire but that only goes on in the Winter evenings for about 3 hours a night and always on low. Electric lights are all energy saving, agaim we normally have candle lights as enjoy the ambient lighting and have a fridge (usual stuff).

House is vacant in week days AM as we work.

Gas (British Gas) is £90.00 pcm - £1080.00 per year
    Electricity is £70.00 pcm - £840.00 per year

Water is the only reasonable cost at £25.00 per month.

With this and Council Tax and rent it is making life very difficult!

I have £10.00 a week spare a week after bills and food (10.00 a week) - ouch!!!
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Smeeth1968 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am baffled by the ever increasing costs and consumption too...

I live in a tiny 1 bed terraced cottage - no central heating,no bath (just a shower) gas boiler merely heats the water when you need it. We have a gas fire but that only goes on in the Winter evenings for about 3 hours a night and always on low. Electric lights are all energy saving, agaim we normally have candle lights as enjoy the ambient lighting and have a fridge (usual stuff).

House is vacant in week days AM as we work.

Gas (British Gas) is £90.00 pcm - £1080.00 per year
    Electricity is £70.00 pcm - £840.00 per year

Water is the only reasonable cost at £25.00 per month.

With this and Council Tax and rent it is making life very difficult!

I have £10.00 a week spare a week after bills and food (10.00 a week) - ouch!!!

I would get a piece of paper and write down the meter readings of both gas & electric today, and friday write down the same. Work out what the useage is over the next 2 days, then over the week.

We have a 3 bedroom end terrace, boiler used to heat water for sinks/bath & heating in winter. We pay £30 p/m and are in credit.

The electric is a little different.
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    For us we have -

Gas - Combi boiler used to heat water for sinks & bath, & heating.

Electric - Electric Shower, Electric Oven, Electric Hob, Cold fill dishwasher, Cold fill washer, Dryer always on.

We pay £30 p/m to british gas for Gas

The electric we manage ourselves as we pay about £60 per month through the website. They wanted over £100 but we told them to a big No and well sort it out ourselves.

Were on - (prices include vat)

Click Energy 5
    Gas - 7.0p (first 600kw/h), 3.2p afterwards
    Electric - 23.4p (first 125kw/h), 9.1p afterwards

Not the cheapest to plan to shift this week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure