Average Electricity Costs Poll

Comments

• Phonix
    Phonix Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We pay £73 a month mostly for electricity on a direct debit. We have checked using the readings and apparently the estimated figure is correct.

Our electricy usage is fairly average really.
  • Hi, Found this site again whilst looking for similar info myself.

For electricity use, the average figures can be found here:
    http://www.aepuk.com/need_info.php#3

But I've been unable to find a similar breakdown for gas use, or any statistics that go by household size.

I looked at the Office for National Statistics site, under Energy, but did not find anything available that was relevant. (though didn't try that hard.)

Only when my next bill arrives will I have been supplying readings to the power company for a full year (as opposed to allowing them to go by estimates), and it's only been a few months since I started making a big effort to save power, so I have not answered the poll.

(I only used 35 units of gas last quarter - and it looks like it will come in at slightly less this one. It's a 1-bed flat.)
    For the past 9 billed months, my electricity consumption averaged about £17p/m (approx 6.5 units per day), and I was paying £25 DD.
  • <<<I will phone my supplier BritishGas for some advice and guidance on average comsumption data.

I will let you know...
    >>>

Well I phoned British Gas, and their reply was:
    "We supply you with the energy; it’s up to you how you use it"
    I then repeated my question... (Perhaps I was misunderstood)
    "Yes I do understand that every user is different, but is there any advice or statistics you can share with me on average users’ consumption?"
    The reply was...
    "Again I repeat, we supply the source, I can not tell you what our customers use it for"
    I though that he may not be allowed to share this data with his customers, so I asked him if he could advice me where I could get this data from. Again they said they were not prepared to help!!
    I thanked him for his exemplary customer service and hung-up!

Wow!
    So British Gas, you supply us with Electricity, and we pay you every month, because that’s all you care about. Any form of customer service is irrelevant because you've done your bit; you've sent the power and taken the payment!
    Nothing else matters, we are the customer who will just pay up every month, because that’s all you care about. Collect our cash and say 'up yours' because you have us over a barrel....
    ....Wrong British Gas, because you have just lost a customer, and I hope some others on this web site will do the same...

Ggggrrrrrrr!!!! :mad:

Thanks for reading this far and letting me get that off my chest.
  • <<<
    Hi, Found this site again whilst looking for similar info myself.

For electricity use, the average figures can be found here:
    http://www.aepuk.com/need_info.php#3
    <<<

Thanks very much for the link....
    Now surely British Gas could have done something like that. If they had, then customer service would have been met in my eyes.

Oh silly me, I forgot... they are just another of those big companies with a "we dont care about you little people, just keep paying us your hard-earned money"

Yep, I am Still fuming....
  • I came here because my electricity bill has doubled since I moved home, a mile round the corner to a house with an extra bedroom!

I wondered whether there might be an error with my meter but judging from these comments this isn't the case.

I'm with Scottish Power Manweb, the last 26 days electricity have cost me £60 and I have used an average of 12.5 units per day

Just the two of us live in a 4-bed detached with gas central heating on a combination boiler. Our last house was a gas boiler on a timer - could this be what's made the difference?

According to energyhelpline.con I can save £160 a year by switching, so I will obviously do this.

I just can't figure out why my electricity useage is so much higher since we've moved.
  • Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    In my house, 3 bed detached, there are 2 adults and a child. We have storage heaters and an immersion heater for the water. Our bill over the year is around £55.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • I’ve now completed all my actual costs for 2005 and for electricity is has worked out as follows :-

£0.61 pence per day or an average of £18.55 per month (0.61 x 365 /12)

The costs above include the VAT element. Due to the great advice and knowledge on this site I have used less Units of Electricity and overall it works out 27.38% cheaper than 2004 even though there were considerable price rises. I live alone and the property is a three bed roomed detached cottage (1930’s build). The main electrical appliances I use are: -

Washing machine
    Fridge
    Freezer
    Lighting
    Bread Maker
    Slow Cooker and Microwave
    Various electrical tools in the garage
    Computer & printer
    TV
    Vacuum cleaner

Hope this helps.... :D
    :)The £2 Coin Savers Club = £346.00 (£300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

:)"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I live in a 2 up 2 down terraced house built in 1890's, 2 adults, myself at home most days, 2 teenagers and 1 delightful cat. We have double glazing throughout and very thick roof insulation in the loft, it is also boarded out whereever possible and has a extra insulation being Kingspan full length of roof.

Our bill breaks down as this

Electric
    12/09/05 - 16/01/05 608 units
    17/10/05 - 05/12/05 962 units

Gas
    12/09/05 - 16/01/05 26 units
    17/10/05 - 05/12/05 63 units

Heating is gas central heating and one gas fire rarely use the fire. We have energy bulbs where ever posisble but we do use spotlights downstairs and halogen spotlights in two rooms.

We pay £70 per month DD thats for gas/electric. It has doubled in a year. I have tried to save wherever possible and now as off next time read my own meter saving £15 per annum. I am with Scottish gas online tarrfic. Hope that helps.

Usually eletcrical items

Dyson hoover. 4 pc's not all on at once (2 have lcds, one 17" monitor the other no monitor conencted to pc with a KVM switch). Main tv is LCD tv, dvd recorder, dvd player, pvr, amp/speakers (not used alot) micorwaves used a lot. Gas cooker, tumble washer dryer (washer used daily dryer very rarely used, is now being replaced with a more energy efficent one next week rating AAB). 24" tv upstairs used on an evening for crapTV, 14" tv/video and freeview using for youngest, she plays pc and watches tv after school up to 10pm. Shower is electric
  • firespire
    firespire Posts: 795 Forumite
    steve237 wrote:
    I came here because my electricity bill has doubled since I moved home, a mile round the corner to a house with an extra bedroom!

I wondered whether there might be an error with my meter but judging from these comments this isn't the case.

I just can't figure out why my electricity useage is so much higher since we've moved.

If you turn off everyting does your electricity meter stop turning?
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    My electricity was £40 in the Summer and £80+ in the winter, as we had electric heating.

Got Gas fitted in October, and the electricity has gone down to £50 p/m.

Unfortunately the first gas bill was £73 for one month.. ..so much for savin money :rolleyes:

It's only a 2-bedroom flat as well.
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure