unexpected final bill too high

u751904
u751904 Posts: 361 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hi I was with iresa, that got taken over by octopus. I switched to tonik at the beginning of the month. I found it hard to understand how they present their online billing to be honest, its inconsistent. Besides that I have been presented with a large final bill which I wasn't expect in July!

I always give in meter readings, pay with direct debit etc.
Their email explanations never seem to address all my questions, which is annoying.

I am quite clear, I am looking for an explanation as to how this has racked up. They said something about needing to get a final figure from my previous supplier. which would have been over a year ago and would have been iresa so I really do not understand what I am dealing with and I am very suspicious. I have written again for more information.

Has anyone any advice on how to deal with this. I feel the ownus is on the company to tell me if my account is in arrears not present me with a surprise bill when I wish to leave. I am normally in credit in the summer!

Thank you Z

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Did you give Octopus a meter reading when IRESA went to the wall last year as requested and did you not agree a final reading at the time when Octopus took over. Did you not check the state of your IRESA account and have you not been tracking your account in the intervening period.

As far as I was concerned I had all the info, agreed a final reading with Octopus, sorted out the final account with IRESA and swapped from Octopus to Eversmart all by about the middle of September last year. I got my final bill and refund in October last year.

So it's really difficult to understand why yours hasn't been sorted out nearly a year later, unless you just hoped that it would sort itself out on its own.

It may have helped that I knew the state of my IRESA account, I keep my meter readings and copies of bills and make sure that I sent meter readings in once a month and CHECK my on line account every month so I know where I stand (right down to the nearest penny).
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    u751904 wrote: »
    I always give in meter readings, pay with direct debit etc. ......................
    . I feel the onus is on the company to tell me if my account is in arrears .................. Z

But do you read the bills and look at the bottom line ?

Then you would know if you are in arrears.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • u751904
    u751904 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    no I admit I was amiss in reading the online bill, life has been quite busy with my daughter who has been very ill. Which I know means nothing... but there we are. Also previously I haven't every had this problem before. I always gave meter reading. Isn't there some responsibility here on the suppliers side???! Have you seen how rubbish the interface is for octopus, its sort of quite light on information, to be honest and even now reading it its quite confusing. ME thinks all the commentators so far are industry folk hence such a defence.
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    No, it is because in most cases (not saying in your case) it is the user's negligence in either not giving readings, not making sure the DD was covering the usage, etc.

Yes, energy companies should be making sure that your DD is covering your usage, especially as you have given them readings. Unfortunately, as you have found out, some do not do that.

Assuming that the readings that they have are correct, then you have used the energy and, unfortunately, it needs to be paid for.

Do the opening reading for Tonic and the closing reading for Octopus match? If not, get back onto Tonic, as they are responsible for ensuring the your old supplier has the correct readings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure