Which Laptop??

BOBBIs_MUMMY
BOBBIs_MUMMY Posts: 850 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 15 July 2019 at 8:17PM in Techie Stuff
The 100 Dollar question!!

Our HP Laptop is nearing it's end of life and now looking to replace it. Current configuration is i3-3100m CPU@2.40GHZ with an 8GB Ram (I am by no means an expert in all of the jargon simply copied from the laptop!!)

We are looking for another HP (Possibly Dell ) laptop to replace this one. Portability is not an issue as it's used as our main computer so won't be travelling about with us. Looking for a 15.6 screen with 1920 x 1080 resolution. We like to be able to have many tabs open at a time to multi task between screens (our current laptop struggling) we also like to store many photos on the laptop though we do have an external hard drive also so could reduce the amount we hold on the actual laptop. We don't use it for gaming at all and watch the odd you tube clip we don't use it for streaming movies.

Like I said I am by no means an expert in what to look for bar the above..................open to any suggestions you may all be able to offer, I appreciate it's sometimes down to personal choice but currently looking through websites seems like a minefield!

Many thanks

Comments

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,433 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I'm sure that someone will be along in a minute with more knowledge than me.
    First query will be the full make/model/service tag?

You will then probably be advised to purchase a new SSD for your existing machine and then after several worrying days you will be staggered that your old PC is now working really quickly for about 50 quid rather than 500!

:)
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The i3-3100 is an Ivy Bridge processor that was first released in 2012.

This may be susceptible, if it has Windows 10 on it, to Spectre/Meltdown "protection" which really nobbles the performance on the older Intel processors. The Sandy Bridge processors are quite badly affected by thid, anywhere up to 20% performance drop, of which I have one with SSD.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 15 July 2019 at 11:07PM
    what make you think that it has come to end of life? Are any bits broken?
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What's actually wrong with it?
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Not going to make a recommendation yet, but a suggestion you need at least 3 copies of your photos / docs / music etc. You may like to tell us your budget, and since you don't wish to lug it about then a desktop will (usually) give you more for the same budget.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • BOBBIs_MUMMY
    BOBBIs_MUMMY Posts: 850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you all so far for your comments. Our laptop at least 4-5 years old (we bought it refurbished) it is extremely slow starting up (20 minutes tonight 😱) the battery gave up at least 2 years ago. Desktop unfortunately not an option as we don’t have anywhere for it to permanently live (laptop usually on dining table until we move it to eat) Budget around £600
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    have a look at the Amazon Prime sale .
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    it is extremely slow starting up (20 minutes tonight ��) the battery gave up at least 2 years ago.

Following some online guides to speeding it up by clearing out the startup folder (and other speed-up tips), and sourcing a new battery MUST come in at well under £600, surely ... ?

Typical HP batteries from a quick google seem to be around the £20-30 mark....
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you go for a laptop with an ssd (which I strongly recommend) make sure that it is of sufficient capacity for your needs or that you are happy to use an external storage device for your photos etc.

Swapping your current hard drive for an ssd would make a tremendous difference but if you want to go for a new laptop then take a look at the Argos eBay site where they have a number of refurbished or end of range laptops listed.

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/argos
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    The 100 Dollar question!!

You got it, it will take roughly about $100, but probably less to make your laptop run faster than it was new.

if you the money is burning a hole in your pocket, and you really need to spend it, and buy a new laptop, then that is fine too.

To be realistic, if the battery died over 2 years ago, and it must not have bothered you in that time, otherwise you would have replaced it :)

Why do you not tell us the make and model of your laptop? Also tell us haw big your disk is, and how much is used?

As always, backup your data before doing anything.

The steps below are listed here, but have been re-ordered, and bits added but use the link below for a better explanation of how to do stuff
    https://safetricks.org/how-to-make-pc-laptop-run-faster/
    Free options, just to make it a bit faster :
    1. Disk Error-checking.
    2. Uninstall Unwanted Programs.
    3. check for updates
    4. run the FREE malwarebytes
    5.Disk Cleanup And Remove Temporary Files - listed in above link. I'd also do the extra step and run bleachedBit https://www.bleachbit.org/ but ticking the wrong stuff may cause your passwords etc. to vanish
    6. Are you running windows 10? Use MS antivirus (free). Hopefully you do not pay for a yearly subscription to a company for this? Do not uninstall the antivirus using the usual means. Most av companies have a special program or procedure to uninstall their software.
    7. Disk Defragmentation. - defrag that disk.

The way that often greatly improves speed is to install an SSD disk, but prices range from around £20 upwards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure