Lowells chasing a debt I'm not sure about

Comments

• tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Checking our Clearscore credit files properly I found this under Closed accounts and there is just one mark (a little purple circle) and it’s in August 2014. There are no other marks on the calendar for that account. But I closed the account and paid the balance in August 2012.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    and we needed to put an address for car insurance and put that one until we moved into a permanent address about a month later.

Totally an aside. Clever little beggers are using Trace systems. It's getting very sophisticated and councils are now using similar systems for benefit/council tax reduction checks.

https://datatank.co.uk/connect

Lowells are one of my "favourite" companies to deal with.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 July 2019 at 11:16AM
    The letter has a date of 15th July on so I’m guessing it was a crossed post. The letter says we have still not been able to agree repayment on your Three Mobile account. If we do not hear from you , we will proceed with our assessment to decide whether to take legal action.

They’ve received and signed for the prove it letter.

All Debt collectors have a range of differant computor generated template letters they use to, lets say, initiate contact.

Lowell are just running through their standard range of letters with you thats all, each one increasing the threat level upwards a notch.

They are specifically worded, and contain lots of "this may happen" "that may happen" etc spelling out the potential consquenses of non contact.

As i said, they are computor generated, so will still be sent out to you on a regular basis, despite what you send to them.

They will act on the provit letter, don`t expect it to be anytime soon, although the threat letters give unrealistic time frames for contacting them, providing evidence takes a lot longer, as it has to be obtained from the original creditor.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    FIL has just sent another letter on to us. He’s getting decidedly irate at them sending him letters addressed to my husband but won’t put return to sender on it.

Simples! You write "return to sender, not known at this address" on it and pop it in the post box.
  • tigerfeet2006
    Worried Jim, he writes big notes to us scrawled across the envelope. So it’s impossible for us to write anything on the envelope to send back to Lowell’s. I’m hoping that now we are both on the electoral register and registered with the CRAs and we’ve written to them the next letter will come to us. Though I may bite the bullet and email them to send any correspondence to us.
    BSCno.87
  • tigerfeet2006
    Whenlam, thanks for the information. It’ll be interesting to see how long it takes for them to pick up the address on the CRAs.
    BSCno.87
  • tigerfeet2006
    Sourcrates, I’ll sit and wait patiently then.
    BSCno.87
  • tigerfeet2006
    OK so we’ve had a letter from Lowell.

It is still addressed to my Father inLaws house 🙄. It thanks us for the recent letter and and acknowledges we have no knowledge and are able to offer the following information. Then in bullet points it says

Agreement start date: 26th January 2010
    Application address: the address before we left the UK
    Tariff description: Broadband 15GB (24 months) 2010
    Mobile number: A number which we think might have been hubbys.
    Client last payment date:13th January 2014 ( note we left the country August 2012)
    Client last payment value: £25
    Last payment method Direct debit
    Disconnection date: 8th August 2014
    Default date: 8th August
    Airtime debt value: £152.89

Airtime debt is for the services used and the early termination fee is calculated to reflect the remaining months of your contract which remain unpaid from the date of your account closure.

We can advise your account is on hold for 30 days.

If you have any further queries do not hesitate to contact us.

We’re still not sure with this as we thought we’d cancelled everything when we left. So don’t know where we go from here. We need them to be sending letters to us and not FIL for a start. Should I email them to ask them again or should it be letter?

Heyalp! Heyalp! As per Penelope Pitstop.
    BSCno.87
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If you think this may have been his debt, but you thought you had settled it, then you should contact the original creditor for a full statement of account, it could be somethng you have forgotton, or there was a balance left that has escalated.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • tigerfeet2006
    Will do.

I’ve just phoned one of our banks and there is no DDs from August 2012 onwards and the other bank is sending me statements from August 2012 to 2014 as they’ve been archived.

I’ll give Three a ring and ask them to send me a statement as well. Or should I write and ask?
    BSCno.87
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills