Is Change possible? (When you're in a hole, STOP DIGGING!)

Comments

• Wishing you well on your journey. Hope the phone call went well, best wishes x
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,364 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Good luck on your diary. I'm sure you will soon get in the swing of things. Other people's diaries are great for ideas and for seeing how little bits of over payment or new income make a difference.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    Great start~~keep going!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Lendrid
    Lendrid Posts: 23 Forumite
    The phone call to which? didn't go to plan at all. I saw that it's possible to cancel with an email so followed the instruction only to get a reply saying they can't find my account. Weirdly, I also don't have a direct debit or standing order I could cancel. This has made me triply heebie! :( I'm going to call them first thing and sort it. The reason I kept putting off cancelling seems so silly in retrospect. They have some really good guides that I wanted to save - my much more tech savvy partner did that for me today so I feel free to cancel now. (Obviously kicking myself for not doing it sooner.)

The cooker insurance is cancelled. The washing machine is booked in to be fixed on Wednesday, and will be cancelled thereafter.

I do have a couple of questions if anyone is around to help? We also owe my parents a LOT of money but they've said to get to the other stuff sorted first. Do I still put these amounts on the list?

Also, I put my previous posts on with the laptop, but now looking on my phone the formatting is horrible!!! Is it always this way? :(:(
  • Lendrid
    Lendrid Posts: 23 Forumite
    Which? is cancelled!!! And even better...it was due to be paid on Monday so I'm feeling like I really did JUST save us some money. Another step in the right direction.

We have a party for my little girl's friend this afternoon and it's cost us nothing (right now) because I'd stashed a few lovely birthday cards and a gift in a sale a few months ago. Just feels like another little win.

I slept better last night. Loads better...though I did dream about the call to which? most of the night it felt like ������
  • Just here to cheer you on. Well done on the cancellations so far. I’d suggest diverting money saved into a specific pot until you have a clear picture of your spending. As for what you include on your soa, you include what works for you. If it motivates you, include it. If not keep a note somewhere and include it when you’re in a position to see some progress.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,173 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary! You'll get a lot of very knowledgeable and friendly help, support and encouragement here. Best of luck :D
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Good luck :)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I can almost feel you taking a deep breath before you post but it looks as if something good is happening in your mental health which is giving you the ability to start having a look at your finances.

2 points at this stage - don't worry about tackling everything in a couple of days, or even a couple of months. Its probably taken years to get to the current position, its fine if it takes a while to turn it around - as long as you are not under any specific pressure on certain aspects. The other is your other half - you mention your mental health is largely to blame for the lack of understanding and control of your finances but this is a situation you are both in so perhaps not all the blame is down to you and also turning it around is not all down to you. You have said 'we' in your posts so hopefully you're looking at it together already. Being on the same page will help a lot.

You can use your diary however you like , its yours. People can and will respond. If you find it too much you can say so. If you want to ask for more help you can do that too.

My gut feel, is that you should probably add the family debt - its fine to have something on your SoA with no repayments currently due. I feel like you will want to have it all on there as one of the things troubling you is how much control you've lost.

Good luck :)
  • jaydeejay
    jaydeejay Posts: 41 Forumite
    The important thing is making a start, and that you have done in spades from someone following along even though I haven't posted before. I just wanted to give you some words of encouragement as there will be lots of people rooting for you who you are not aware of. As they say a problem shared... and all that! Each small win adds up over time. Perhaps an idea might be making a note of things not bought or given in to, money saved by different spending or alternatives taken as its so easy to forget these or get disheartened.

J x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport