IP Wireless Camera Query

Options
kev2009
kev2009 Posts: 1,039 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
Hi,

I am considering purchasing a outdoors IP camera. The camera comes only wit the camera but has the option of powering by a POE injector.

I was wondering, can i use a POE injector BUT not supply a Network cable from a switch to the IN port of the POE cable? i.e Just plug power cable from wall socket into POE and then on the output end, run a network cable from the POE to the camera. This will effectively mean it is only carrying the power to the camera, no data?

The TP Link POE is recommended Amazon for the IP camera.

Thanks

Kevin

Comments

• that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    Ever had a post when when you read it, does not make sense in your head? not saying it is a bad post, but make you read it a few times, and still not the wiser, a bit like approaching something from the wrong direction?

There are 4 pairs of wires in RJ45 connector, and ether net uses 2 pairs, so 4 wires left doing nothing (acting as a screen), and one pair is used for power

You also get POE splitter to split the signal and power, and you get POE injectors to put the power onto the cable. You have to get an injector that matches the cameras voltage. There are more than one standard POE voltage/spec

You will need that data, if you want to see or record a picture..

you can inject the voltage at the side, but due to waterproofing, extra cable lengths to run - double the cabling, then to hide or tie up the injector is more work?, and does not look neat?
  • arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 July 2019 at 3:06PM
    Options
    that wrote: »
    There are 4 pairs of wires in RJ45 connector, and ether net uses 2 pairs, so 4 wires left doing nothing (acting as a screen), and one pair is used for power

You also get POE splitter to split the signal and power, and you get POE injectors to put the power onto the cable. You have to get an injector that matches the cameras voltage. There are more than one standard POE voltage/spec
    That's not correct.
    Megabit Ethernet connections use 2 pairs, Gigabit/10 Gigabit use all 4 and you can still use PoE with Gigabit speeds.

Wires are not used as 'screen', they are used to carry data or power. You get a 'shield' with some types of CAT5/6 etc. cables (STP opposed to UTP cables) that have a tiny foil wrapped around the wires.

There are two main types of PoE: active and passive. Active: power is negotiated with the device. Passive: power is 'always there' (this is generally a non-standard, protocol).

Within the active type, there are also 2 major types: one uses the 2 unused pairs (if there are unused pairs), the other uses the same data wires to deliver current when there is no spare wire to be used.

Back to the original question, what OP would like to do can, in theory, be done, provided that the camera is a WiFi camera.

A normal PoE injector will give power to the camera without necessarily having to connect it to a network. Only make sure that the camera supports active PoE (802.3 standard). If it comes with its own proprietary injector you might not be able to use a generic one.
  • that
    Options
    thank you, things have moved on since my youth :)

I was taught, possibly wrongly, the second two pairs of cables had a harmonic screening effect, and stopped crosstalk. gut feeling you could get away with DC as it emitted no interference, but could not use the second pairs as another 10Mb connection

if the op is not careful, or lives in a congested area he could easily run out of bandwidth with wifi
    https://www.supercircuits.com/resources/tools/network-ip-security-camera-system-bandwidth-calculator
  • arciere
    Options
    thank you, things have moved on since my youth :)

I was taught, possibly wrongly, the second two pairs of cables had a harmonic screening effect, and stopped crosstalk. gut feeling you could get away with DC as it emitted no interference, but could not use the second pairs as another 10Mb connection

if the op is not careful, or lives in a congested area he could easily run out of bandwidth with wifi
    https://www.supercircuits.com/resources/tools/network-ip-security-camera-system-bandwidth-calculator
    The crosstalk problem was solved (or heavily reduced) by twisting the pairs, somehow the 'twist' gives protection (don't ask me why). Proper shielding (for example, if you run CAT cables alongside power cables) is achieved with shielded cables (STP cables).

CAT6 cables are even more protected, but they are a much more difficult to work with (less flexible, much harder to manually terminate).

In regard to WiFi, I agree, it's not the best option when it comes to cameras, especially if they are HD or greater. If you use the camera if and when required, WiFi is probably ok, but if it's a 24/7 monitoring system, you get congestion quite easily (provided that you get the minimum bandwidth anyway, given that it's an outdoor camera, good WiFi coverage could be a problem)
  • that
    Options
    arciere wrote: »
    The crosstalk problem was solved (or heavily reduced) by twisting the pairs, somehow the 'twist' gives protection (don't ask me why).
    Some pairs are twisted tighter than other pairs. not sure if any of the pairs are the same or if they are all different. Think the pairs are also gently twisted around each other. The idea was that the radiated signal phases would cancel each other out to a large extent... unless you put it alongside a florescent light :(
  • arciere
    Options
    Some pairs are twisted tighter than other pairs. not sure if any of the pairs are the same or if they are all different. Think the pairs are also gently twisted around each other. The idea was that the radiated signal phases would cancel each other out to a large extent... unless you put it alongside a florescent light :(
    Yes that's right, and the weird thing (at least for me) is that, if you untwist all the wires in a 50-metre cable, for example, you end up having some wires longer than the others. I still don't understand how this works when you use the cable with serial connections, where data should be received 'sequentially'.
  • that
    Options
    the extra cable length is nothing compare to the speed of light? However they could put a delay line in a circuit if one part travels too fast.

the did the in the old tube 625 line pal tv sets. The luminance was quick to process, but the Phase Alternate Line error correction and color extraction was a feat. To compensated they put the luminance through a delay line (about the length and slightly thinner than a yellow Bic pen, but grey in colour). The delay line was a coil on a rod
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure