PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Comments

• ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,562 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 July 2017 at 8:34AM
    Stop monopolising thread, &.

1. Meriva all packed. & brekkied. Thermoses recharged. Will pop back in for Merci/adieu after this. Will I stay here again? Belgium feels full of a lot of confusings. Will check out the Ensor House/Museum later.

2. All beaches still present and correct, with good water in and out....but rainwater descended powerfully at some point n/k to &. Mlle Meriva is squeaky shiny clean.

3. Don't play Generalisations of the low-sweepingest kind, &. Belgian women are all cow-sized and paced. Belgian women all smoke, preggers or no, are therefore wrong sort of stringy-veined baccy-toned scrawn. No Belgian women wash their hands after ykw. Belgians all breakfast on white bread overloaded with sugar+fat-sodden everything. Belgians universally use caddies, for propping up, bedding down (street sleepers+dwellers), filling with stuff, Atlantic Wall recreationals, testing derring-do of oncoming motorists, fashion statements+subtexts.
    & is your roving UN peacekeeping force. Might be failing that one.

4. Well, the best Ostend Oxfam shop is now open again. Hurry along please &. Is that where 2 young on-duty police in shorts and on bikes are heading? No, just up a block to the sea, the sea.

5. No real reason for these masquerading as further osps, but found young Mum's shoes and a hoodie top left behind earlier. Now handed in. She walked out over a week ago, leaving OH with infants. He is menuisier, with extra job in that boîte de nuit. Rises 4am, hard worker, she said. Both are. She is teacher's aide, has done nothing else ever. Suggested she could learn to drive, just to have knowledge of possibilities, sense of freedom and taking children to run, play freely. Next night, found her hard at work with huge new permis de conduire manual and yet she also said she doesn't read 'books', never has!
    Ah well.
    #
    Thankyou all for patient reading, if you did. Just felt/feel so troubled by her.
    No. &, you can't fix everyone/everything. Leave it.
    #
    All have a lovely lundi. That's an &order :-)
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Oh lawd & is in Belgium! Now please, don't mention Tin Tin and Hercule as the most famous ones! I'll get my coat.

Oh, a new doctor! Not watched in ages, so my thought remains. Not watched their news since 21:33Z 1982-05-93. It was a Monday!
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I hope this thread doesn't auto delete like some of the other longer ones have :(

Monday pleasures

1. quiet drive to work this morning and got a parking space near the front of the building

2. morning went quickly

3. called off for some food shopping on the way home and came in under budget

4. saw DS for 10 minutes as he came in and went out again ! Decision made on which safety gate to buy and with a £10 money off voucher should only cost £6.99

5. sorted / shredded my LAST box of stuff / paperwork :j
    Just waiting for someone to take away my old dining room table I have put it on gumtree for free and then 1 tip run should complete my puppy proofing !
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,148 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 17 July 2017 at 8:00PM
    Ampersand - I went to Belgium in mid December so I remember 90% of the ladies wearing fur coats! And the driving was abysmal - in part because a driving test had not long been introduced.

Neighbours have reached full stupidity. Shrieking, shouting. Youngest runs round happily making the noise that a treble recorder makes, when blown into without any attempt at notes. Thought they would stop when they went to school and saw how other children behaved. 3-4 years at school and no improvement so far. Still, nothing stolen from my house for a good while, though plant pots kicked over. Looked out of window and one had kicked his football over the fence (not my fence, the other neighbour). Watched while he kicked a child sized hole THROUGH THE FENCE, got through and collected his ball. It was one of those overlapping thin wooden fences, in panels. Can still hear them through double glazing, over the fan and over smaller son talking downstairs.

Pleasures for today:

1) A reasonable sleep.

2) Hens fine.

3) Courgette, chard and herb omelette for bigger son's lunch.

4) Trip to Lidl.

5) Bigger son has gone out with friends, bearing an inner tube so he can mend someone's bike.

6) Various jobs done including ironing.

7) About to watch Uni Challenge closely followed by DIY SOS.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hey guys...I hope you don't mind me popping in just to say you might be wise to start a new 5 O/S Pleasures thread.... 'Part 3' maybe?.

As you may be aware some longer O/S threads have vanished recently, so best to err on the side of safety imho :)

Back to the Daily, Garden Fence, CFO threads I go :o
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,148 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Karcher - that would be awful. I often look back to see what I was doing years ago.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hello all - back from my hols :D Have tried to read along, but i have been away from t'internet for some long periods of time so may have missed stuff.
    I hope this thread doesn't auto delete like some of the other longer ones have :(
    karcher wrote: »
    Hey guys...I hope you don't mind me popping in just to say you might be wise to start a new 5 O/S Pleasures thread.... 'Part 3' maybe?.

Same - maybe it is time to start a new one?
    ampersand wrote: »

3. Don't play Generalisations of the low-sweepingest kind, &. Belgian women are all cow-sized and paced. Belgian women all smoke, preggers or no, are therefore wrong sort of stringy-veined baccy-toned scrawn. No Belgian women wash their hands after ykw. Belgians all breakfast on white bread overloaded with sugar+fat-sodden everything. Belgians universally use caddies, for propping up, bedding down (street sleepers+dwellers), filling with stuff, Atlantic Wall recreationals, testing derring-do of oncoming motorists, fashion statements+subtexts.

In similar vein "all" white South (and southern) African men aged between about 40 and 60 are big, bull-necked, arrogant so and so's who trophy hunt and treat black people like scum... :mad:
    ampersand wrote: »

He is menuisier,

This took me back - I used to say this in French lessons after the question "what does your father do?" "il est menuisier"... :rotfl: (which he wasn't, technically - being a wood-machinist - but it was the closest i could get).

So, pleasures.

1. What a lovely, lovely time we have had. The weather has been stunning and the scenery breathtaking. We spent a very little time in South Africa and split the rest of our time between Zimbabwe and Botswana. Zimbabwe is in a bad way, economically. They are a (not-so) shining example of what austerity cuts can do - run down buildings, roads full of pot-holes - you get the picture. But
    2. The people are wonderful. it is extremely safe and there are few instances of violent crime, even for all the poverty. The greeting of "how are you?" everywhere is lovely. Their currency is, officially, the US dollar but there is little cash around and queues for banks (which can be for days) are rather heartbreaking. Botswana is a much richer country - but their roads are sand in parts so thank goodness for our 4x4 - but the people are equally lovely and it, also, is extremely safe. the biggest dangers are from wild animals, not humans.
    3. We camped for about half our time in one of these

https://www.drivesouthafrica.co.za/4x4-hire/model/ford-ranger-4x4-groupcamper-sa-avis/

A tent for us and one for DS. As you can't really going stomping across the bush to the loo in the middle of the night (because, lions and stuff), i am now master of the she-wee...:rotfl: (sorry, BOP, TMI). DS was tent erector and de-erector extraordinaire
    We said that if there's a next time, we will camp more.

4. Wildlife - elephants, giraffes, hippos, rhinos, all kinds of antelopes, warthogs, jackals, hyenas, buffalo, ostrich, wildebeest, zebra, vultures (stripping a giraffe carcass, gruesome and fascinating at the same time), eagles and smaller, beautiful birds. and some big cats - lions and, once, up close and personal with a cheetah. One day, our drive took us along the Chobe river and it was like an advert for Africa with the sheer volume of wildlife - over 100 giraffes and over 1000 zebras!!

5. Our DS, who has been amazing. I am not sure I could have spent 3 weeks with just my parents when I was 18

In other news
    6. Our DD is 21 today :T
    7. We landed back at 7.30 yesterday having flown back overnight. And we managed to keep going until 10 (as DD didn't get home till 9) and did 3 loads of washing and cleaned the kitchen.
    8. it is warm and sunny here too!
    9. Our garden seems to have survived our absence without too much harm.
    10. My dad is ok and has been keeping up with our adventures by being shown photos on Facebook.

Hope you're all ok. I have a cake to bake..
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Happy birthday MissV.

Tuesday Schmuesday evening , blooming freezing!

Work....the longest, most drawn out 3 hours of each week ever! The pleasure is in the getting it done.

Home. Made lentil soup and bolognese for tea.

Then headed for a shower and nice clothes to meet a friend for lunch. This was the other 'wife' I'd met at palliative afternoon tea months ago. Her husband is in same ward as OH was. We had a lovely catch up and that 2 hours just flew by....unlike this mornings 3!
    Had a lovely pumpkin and feta quiche. Gave her a pile of coverless quiz books and colouring books repurposed from work to take up to the ward.

Had a snooze in an effort to warm up.

Nice chat with friend from Sydney. She's been in UK for a month so lovely to catch up .

Heading out soon for bereavement counselling session.

Have a good day
  • use new thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5681214
    DundeeDoll wrote: »
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:

Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
  • house_elf
    house_elf Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Afternoon,

Stayed home today as not well......food poisoning from the Prom last night?

Yesterday

1. Got big piece of work finished and emailed off by the end of the day.
    2. Prom. Students looked lovely and had a great time. Noticed one of the girls was wearing same frock as me, so had to slip out and put on work dress. Would be awful to arrive at the Prom dressed the same as your teacher!
    3. Beautiful sunset on the way home.
    4. Lit the log burner when I got home and sat with DH having a little chat.
    5. Nice sleep until I woke up:eek:

Feeling hollow, but much better now. Rang work to let them know I will be back tomorrow, only to be told I have to be off 48 hours! This should be a pleasure, but I am too busy:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure