Do I need a new PC?

Have my PC since 2008, Windows 7 32bit home, MS Office 2010 running VM internet.

Looking at the OS running life and age of PC, should I be thinking about upgrading my PC or let it run for few more years?

Thanks

Comments

• You don't mention how you are backing up 10 years of data.

Otherwise, if you've not already done so, swapping the boot disk to an SSD can speed things up a lot.

If it's still working for you, why change?
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Debbie - mainly use it for internet and homework for kids. Data is stored on hard drive.

The reason I am mentioning, it came with Vista home and last year I had to upgrade it to Win 7 as Chrome stopped working with Vista. As Win 7 is running until 2020 then there wouldn't be any upgrades for Win 7 through Windows Update.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    Have my PC since 2008, Windows 7 32bit home, MS Office 2010 running VM internet.

Looking at the OS running life and age of PC, should I be thinking about upgrading my PC or let it run for few more years?

Windows 7 gets security updates until January 2020, so there's no rush. Even then, you can possibly upgrade to Windows 10 (or a GNU/Linux distribution).

The age of your PC makes absolutely no difference to anything. What matters is how fast it is, whether you need/want something faster or more capable, and whether you have spare money to treat yourself.

If it does what you want, why not wait...?
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    it came with Vista home and last year I had to upgrade it to Win 7 as Chrome stopped working with Vista.

I'm running Chrome on two XP machines. XP preceded Vista, so if it works with XP, it should work with Vista.

I get a warning that there won't be any more updates, but I ignore it.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    googler wrote: »
    I'm running Chrome on two XP machines. XP preceded Vista, so if it works with XP, it should work with Vista.

I get a warning that there won't be any more updates, but I ignore it.

Google dropped support for Chrome on XP and Vista at the same time two years ago even though Vista was still supported by Microsoft and XP wasn't but the popularity of XP meant there were other cases where it was supported longer than Vista.

John
  • pmartin86
    pmartin86 Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The MSE advice always seem to be to stick to what you have...I however advocate an upfrea to a W10 machine where possible...OP, do you have a budget for an upgrade?

Getting to a W10 machine is adviable long term due to MS upgrade plan, anyone suggesting you hold back is behind the times unless you have zero budget
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would say new PC due to the age of it.
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    as you only use for internet and homework i would try to upgrade (clean install) to win10 free of charge with win7 activation code.

see how machine runs and then decide whether to buy a new pc.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Is it fast enough for you or slow? Regarding OS I'd stick with 7.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Is it fast enough for you or slow? Regarding OS I'd stick with 7.

I remember last year, I was checking my PC which I operating system I could upgrade to from vista. Win7 could only be installed and not W10 due to hardware I have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure