Problem with Vista Laptop WiFi Connection

Options
Hi, been trying to help my Dad connect to the Internet on his old (but scarcely used) Vista laptop. When trying to get machine to connect wirelessly via his Virgin router, there is no provider being found. Does anybody know what I can do to help him? I have tried to find out, but am a bit confused by some of the suggestions. One has suggested that there is a 'switch' on the front or side of the laptop which needs to be switched on - but there is no sign of any switch. Another suggestion was to connect via a USB flash stick - but I don't really know what that means and how it would work. I am rather flummoxed and would be grateful for any help. Thank you! Tabs :)

Comments

• WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    Options
    Seriously?

How should we know which machine is in question? ;)

Brand name and full model number if you please.
    This USB Network adaptor is the kind of thing that has been suggested to you.
    Should really clean install Windows 7 to the thing.
  • Tabitha_T
    Options
    Blimey, no flippin' idea! My Dad is miles away and 92 y.o. and I'm trying to help from afar! I am no techno wizard (as you can probably guess!). I think the machine is an Acer, from memory. I'm also pretty sure he said he was running Windows 10. Does any of that make any more sense? :)
  • WAYT
    Options
    Tabitha_T wrote: »
    Blimey, no flippin' idea! My Dad is miles away and 92 y.o. and I'm trying to help from afar! I am no techno wizard (as you can probably guess!). I think the machine is an Acer, from memory. I'm also pretty sure he said he was running Windows 10. Does any of that make any more sense? :)

Brand name and model number or you are stuck. They'll be stated on the underside of the laptop.

You first stated Vista and now you state Windows 10. Get it together! :D
  • decbel
    decbel Posts: 2,804 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, been trying to help my Dad connect to the Internet on his old (but scarcely used) Vista laptop. When trying to get machine to connect wirelessly via his Virgin router, there is no provider being found. Does anybody know what I can do to help him? I have tried to find out, but am a bit confused by some of the suggestions. One has suggested that there is a 'switch' on the front or side of the laptop which needs to be switched on - but there is no sign of any switch. Another suggestion was to connect via a USB flash stick - but I don't really know what that means and how it would work. I am rather flummoxed and would be grateful for any help. Thank you! Tabs :)

If you can't find any providers in network settings then that suggests to me that there is no wireless card installed. Normally yours and your neighbours will show up as a list.

You can buy a wireless card which plugs into a usb slot on ebay.

First of all there will be videos on you tube on how to connect wirelessly via vista.

I only very stopped recently using vista because I had a new machine.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Buy him a new laptop and switch on wifi before sending it to him.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Tabitha_T
    Options
    I've lost the plot here, methinks! I'm off to You Tube first, then I'm going to speak to Father Christmas! ;)
  • WAYT
    Options
    I've lost the plot here, methinks! I'm off to You Tube first, then I'm going to speak to Father Christmas! ;)

No...just come back with the brand name and model number. Should take no more than a minute.
  • Tabitha_T
    Options
    I'll have to revert. My Dad lives miles from me and is partially sighted, he'll never be able to see smallish numbers, even with his magnifier. I'll be seeing him next week, I'll check out the finer detail first hand. Cheers for now
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I seem to remember a setting on my old laptop running Vista there was a setting in network connections somewhere which was a power saver to turn off wifi when idle for some time which I had to turn off. On some old lappies there is a button on the surface which also turns on/off wifi. It lights up when on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure