Joint I.S and DLA JC interview

I'm a full time carer, but actually my wife does so much of the care for our disabled son,

Now the JC want to interview her so she starts looking for work

Would it be ok if I was the one who went to look for work and not her, even though I'm officially the carer?

Is it worth swapping the paperwork over to make her the official full time carer, I mean we both do it but if one of us had to go to work then we think it's best for me
Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future

Comments

• AG47
    AG47 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    edited 6 September 2017 at 4:27PM
    The thing is we also have a 2year old who is still breast feeding from her mum.

I know we are entitled to free hours of child care, but the baby is showing signs similar to her older brother who is 9 and needs full time care.

Would it be ok with the JC if I started looking for work instead of her? Would we have to change her to be the full time carer?

What happens if not, can they cut back our income support? Can you get penalties with income support like you do with JSA?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    This appointment isn't to make you get back to work. Everyone claiming IS has to go for these appointments from time to time. Many years ago when i was claiming IS i used to have to attend them, and it's not changed now. There's nothing stopping you changing who the carers is as long as the person does at least 35 hours of care per week. If you do change over and you decided to work then this would affect your IS and how much you'd be able to claim, if any.
  • AG47
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    This appointment isn't to make you get back to work. Everyone claiming IS has to go for these appointments from time to time. Many years ago when i was claiming IS i used to have to attend them, and it's not changed now. There's nothing stopping you changing who the carers is as long as the person does at least 35 hours of care per week. If you do change over and you decided to work then this would affect your IS and how much you'd be able to claim, if any.

Thanks so much, so woul it be ok if I went to the interview instead?

What do you mean it would affect how much we claim? Would it make any difference if my wife was the carer not me?
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Income Support is a means tested benefit so if you or your wife started work then you would lose the income support.

Scenarios possible:

1. Your wife claims Carer's Allowance - notify them to tell them you are ending your claim and then your wife makes the claim. You go to work.
    2. You continue to claim CA and IS as a joint claim and attend the interview and see what they say about your circumstances.
    3. You continue to claim CA but work up to the allowed rate. (I'll find a link for the amount) You would lose your Income Support.
    4. Your wife claims CA and you work full time.

You could try putting the different scenarios into the benefit calculator on https://www.entitledto.co.uk to see how it would affect other benefits or go to CAB for a better off calculation.

More importantly would you be able to work and support your wife with the children?
  • AG47
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    Income Support is a means tested benefit so if you or your wife started work then you would lose the income support.

Scenarios possible:

1. Your wife claims Carer's Allowance - notify them to tell them you are ending your claim and then your wife makes the claim. You go to work.
    2. You continue to claim CA and IS as a joint claim and attend the interview and see what they say about your circumstances.
    3. You continue to claim CA but work up to the allowed rate. (I'll find a link for the amount) You would lose your Income Support.
    4. Your wife claims CA and you work full time.

You could try putting the different scenarios into the benefit calculator on https://www.entitledto.co.uk to see how it would affect other benefits or go to CAB for a better off calculation.

More importantly would you be able to work and support your wife with the children?

Thank so much, you are being so helpful

I will go to the interview that was supposed to be for my wife, and explain our situation.

I think I could manage to work part time

Does anybody know how many hours I am allowed to work and still be a carer?
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AG47 wrote: »
    Thank so much, you are being so helpful

I will go to the interview that was supposed to be for my wife, and explain our situation.

I think I could manage to work part time

Does anybody know how many hours I am allowed to work and still be a carer?

if your wife has received the letter about an interview then she must go. You could go with her.

Look at the link I gave you for hours and amount you can earn and still claim CA.
  • You can earn up to £116 per week after tax if claiming CA.
  • AG47
    You can earn up to £116 per week after tax if claiming CA.

I'm claiming DLA, for my disabled child not carers allowance

Does anybody know how many hrs I am allowed to work and still get DLA for my child?
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,948 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    this isn't making sense.

if you are not claiming carers allowance, what reason do you have for claiming income support?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure