50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!

Comments

• [QUOTE=crv19

Spending- 0 spent on cigarettes[/QUOTE]

Well done :)
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You are doing great well done!
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Quick update- spent 7 hours cleaning the car for my son, hopefully it won't take too much to get through the MOT, but even though not at the limit I'm going to change the tyres, service due in 4.5k miles so think I'd rather get the tyres instead, after all that's all that's between him and the road.

Hens laying well and a joy to watch.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • crv1963 wrote: »

Hens laying well and a joy to watch.

crv1963, as a matter of interest, do you have any experience of Eglu products? Keeping hens has always appealed to me, but I know very little about the subject :) My wife went to the library last week and came home with a number of books - probably to put me off !! It didn't work and I'm more keen than ever :)
  • crv1963
    edited 29 August 2018 at 6:46AM
    crv1963, as a matter of interest, do you have any experience of Eglu products? Keeping hens has always appealed to me, but I know very little about the subject :) My wife went to the library last week and came home with a number of books - probably to put me off !! It didn't work and I'm more keen than ever :)

No personal experience of Eglu products but have seen them in use at our local hen place- www.durhamhens.co.uk look easy to use and easy to clean. There's a very good thread I discovered on a thread the link is I think- Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day

I think it is so relaxing having hens, not very hard to care for and you know what you've fed them so what has gone into the eggs. I'd say go for it.

I'd suggest getting a run for them and put the hen house of whatever type you choose inside it, then have a look at what type/ breed you want.

CRV

Edit- It's not the hens that are expensive, quite the opposite, but the equipment, but once you have the hen house and run the ongoing costs are low, bedding, mite powder and feed are all inexpensive.
  • CRV,

Many thanks for the links and info. Out of interest, what breed of hens do you have?
  • crv1963
    CRV,

Many thanks for the links and info. Out of interest, what breed of hens do you have?

We have 2 Columbines- friendly if nervous that lay green coloured eggs although some lay blue or cream ones, 1 Copper Black, friendly and lays brown eggs, 1 Amber (which is actually white in colour) friendly were told that the breed could be nervous but she really is easily bribed to come to us, lays brown eggs and 1 Speckledy, friendly and lays brown eggs.

The Columbines are actually the most nervous but once used to you they all come running when they see you. With the run - ours is one with a wire mesh roof and a tarpaulin over one third to keep the worst of the rain off them and their house- they can safely be allowed to roam and scratch about without fear of pigeons eating their food and infecting them, I put fencing boards around the edges of the run to stop them getting out and delay any foxes getting in.
  • They sound a friendly bunch :). My wife has signed me up to looking after neighbours' hens whilst they're away on holiday. Guess she's secretly hoping the experience will squash my enthusiasm :).
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They sound a friendly bunch :). My wife has signed me up to looking after neighbours' hens whilst they're away on holiday. Guess she's secretly hoping the experience will squash my enthusiasm :).

:rotfl:
    I have been brilliant yesterday and today decluttering like mad , 16 bags of charity stuff 3 bags of rags , been a huge relief to do it can;t stop now.
    :rotfl:
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • crv1963
    They sound a friendly bunch :). My wife has signed me up to looking after neighbours' hens whilst they're away on holiday. Guess she's secretly hoping the experience will squash my enthusiasm :).

They are a friendly bunch, watching them is very relaxing! They are not hard to keep in terms of time, clean out henhouse- 30 mins, top food and water up 10 min daily.

Good for you to get a free trial run!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback