Money Moral Dilemma: Best man seems to be overcharging for the stag do - should we pay up?

This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
A good friend is getting married, and the best man - someone we don't know well - has asked for £200 each. We're convinced the accommodation costs much less than his rough breakdown says. Should we risk spoiling the weekend by challenging this, or just pay up?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

:idea: If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

:huh: Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Why not ask for a bit more detail?

Say something like "Can you calrify what the £200 includes? i thought we were looking at x hotel whoch would be about £xx each - am I missing something?"

It may be that he is inlcuding estimates for meals or drinks or entertainment that he hasn't explicitly mentioned.

it's also possible that the costs are higher than you think - for instnace if the dates you looked at are different to the ones he looked at, or if a venue adds a surchage for single-sex parties because they know stag and hen dos can be destructive, or any one of a number of other genuine reasons.

Maybe he is just bad at maths, or feels that it is better to over estimate and give some back than to underestimate and have to ask for extra.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As above....... ask.

Next!....
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Calpol4life
    Calpol4life Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    nope, pay up.

Lots of times the best man has to shell out for things that everyone (rightly) should be contributing toward.

Dress up outfit for stag and guests, inflatable sheep, transfers etc...

if you ask my opinion, it woudl be covering all other expenses, and, if he is honest, it will materialise on the first night into a whip...
  • BAFE
    BAFE Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Agree you need to ask what the £200 covers.
  • TBagpuss wrote: »
    Why not ask for a bit more detail?

Say something like "Can you calrify what the £200 includes? i thought we were looking at x hotel whoch would be about £xx each - am I missing something?"

It may be that he is inlcuding estimates for meals or drinks or entertainment that he hasn't explicitly mentioned.

it's also possible that the costs are higher than you think - for instnace if the dates you looked at are different to the ones he looked at, or if a venue adds a surchage for single-sex parties because they know stag and hen dos can be destructive, or any one of a number of other genuine reasons.

Maybe he is just bad at maths, or feels that it is better to over estimate and give some back than to underestimate and have to ask for extra.

Or it's been decided that the groom will have a freebie do.......
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    It's good to talk.
    As opposed to asking random strangers on t'interweb. :cool:
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I have never been to any wedding where I have had to pay!

I would definitely want to know what the £200 was for!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    Stag party, not wedding...
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have never been to any wedding where I have had to pay!

I would definitely want to know what the £200 was for!
    The question is how many stag dos have you been invited to?

Only one I've been to in the last 20 years was my brother's, and that cost lots. It did involve four days in France though.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Stag party, not wedding...

Ah right. I have never been to one of those :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure