Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • geminilady
    • By geminilady 21st Jun 12, 9:37 PM
    • 1,798Posts
    • 7,725Thanks
    Housing benefit
    • #1
    • 21st Jun 12, 9:37 PM
    Housing benefit 21st Jun 12 at 9:37 PM
    My youngest son is leaving full time education and has a part time job 10 hours a week will they make a deduction for him? he is twenty
Page 1
    • daimonde
    • By daimonde 21st Jun 12, 10:06 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    • #2
    • 21st Jun 12, 10:06 PM
    • #2
    • 21st Jun 12, 10:06 PM
    yes, unless one of these apply...

    Non-dependant deduction not due
    5.503 The circumstances when no deduction is made differ between HB and CTB.
    Housing Benefit
    5.504 A non-dependant deduction is not made in the following circumstances
    ē claimant or their partner is
    - blind or treated as blind, and is or was registered as blind by the LA, or
    - receiving
    ~ the care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at any rate, or
    ~ Attendance Allowance (AA)
    ē non-dependant is
    - living or staying with the claimant but, in the LAís opinion, the non-dependantís normal
    home is elsewhere, see Deciding the non-dependantís normal home below
    - receiving a Youth Training allowance paid in connection with a Youth Training Scheme,
    eg YTS or Work-based Learning for Young Adults courses
    - a full-time student. For the definition of full-time student, see C2 Student claims later
    in this manual. Normal rules apply during the summer vacation if the student is in
    remunerative work
    - aged 16 or 17 years
    - a hospital in-patient for more than 52 weeks
    - a prisoner
    - aged less than 25 and receives IS, JSA(IB) or the assessment phase of ESA(IR)

    Depending on how much they earn, as the work is below 16hrs a week they may be entitled to JSA which as above, would mean no deduction.

    Otherwise, presuming they earn under £124pw the HB deduction would be £11.45pw
  • CAB Wyre Forest representative
    • #3
    • 25th Jun 12, 12:42 PM
    • #3
    • 25th Jun 12, 12:42 PM
    My youngest son is leaving full time education and has a part time job 10 hours a week will they make a deduction for him? he is twenty
    Originally posted by geminilady
    Yes in principle. It would not apply if your son were disabled or if he is in receipt of income support, income-based jobseeker's allowance or income-related employment and support allowance (ESA). Current rate of deduction for a low earner is £11.45 pw.
    ďOfficial CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe Iíve broken any rules please report my post to as usual"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,767Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter