Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,084
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Clearly BA are trying to wash their hands in terms of duty of care with re-routing. I would have none of it.
    Get on Skyscanner or Kayak and se what other flight options are available for your total journey. BA must stand the cost of this to get you to your destination. You will probably have to pay yourself and claim it back from BA via the website. Expect a fight but the regulation (and therefore the law/courts) should be on your side.
    What are your dates and departure/destination points?
    Your compensation claim is usually seperate to your re-routing claim.
    Both can be dealt with by an ADR if necessary.
    You might as well get your compensation claim in now as the cancellation has already happened. You may have to box clever here and just put the claim in for your 3rd leg, if that keeps you under the 14 days rule.
    Can you put up all the original flight times/dates for ech leg so we can work out the timeline? Thanks
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • jase.2
    jase.2 Posts: 63
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    JPears wrote: »
    Clearly BA are trying to wash their hands in terms of duty of care with re-routing. I would have none of it.
    Get on Skyscanner or Kayak and se what other flight options are available for your total journey. BA must stand the cost of this to get you to your destination. You will probably have to pay yourself and claim it back from BA via the website. Expect a fight but the regulation (and therefore the law/courts) should be on your side.
    What are your dates and departure/destination points?
    Your compensation claim is usually seperate to your re-routing claim.
    Both can be dealt with by an ADR if necessary.
    You might as well get your compensation claim in now as the cancellation has already happened. You may have to box clever here and just put the claim in for your 3rd leg, if that keeps you under the 14 days rule.
    Can you put up all the original flight times/dates for ech leg so we can work out the timeline? Thanks

The Aer Lingus flight that gets me back just before the ba flight is around £600 which I’m wary of paying it out incase I don’t get it back.

I’m assuming if I booked that myself and did manage to get the money back I wouldn’t get compensation as I wouldn’t be late at my final destination? Also with it only being one BA leg cancelled I’m assuming I wouldn’t actually cancel my booking as I’d still want legs one and two?

The overall four legs are -

Mon 21 Oct Gla to LHR Departure 09:35
    Mon 21 Oct LHR to YYZ departure 13:05
    Mon 28 Oct EWR to LHR departure 19:40 this is the cancelled flight
    Tue 29 Oct LHR to GLA departure 07:35 - I still make that connection if I get myself over to JFK at my own cost. I’d miss it if I wait for the 2230 ba flight from EWR
  • JPears
    Forumite
    So actually only 2 legs for the return journey.
    You are correct, if you take the Aer Lingus option,you won't get compensation.
    I'd point this out to BA - if they don't re-route via Aer Lingus, at their expense, they will be liable for €600 compensation on their re-routing option.

• jase.2
    jase.2 Posts: 63
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    JPears wrote: »
    So actually only 2 legs for the return journey.
    You are correct, if you take the Aer Lingus option,you won't get compensation.
    I'd point this out to BA - if they don't re-route via Aer Lingus, at their expense, they will be liable for €600 compensation on their re-routing option.

I’m thinking that is probably why they seem keen to get me on to a JFK flight that gets me back on time even though they are refusing to pay my costs (I sure don’t fancy travelling to Newark to get to my pre paid hotel only to then travel across to JFK next day to take the flight of BA’s choice)

The 2230 ba from Newark offered - if I take that I’d get compensation but would I still get compensation if I choose to wait till the next day rather than hang around an airport late at night when I’m going to miss my LHR connection anyway? I’m just not sure of the rules if I pick later than the ones they offer

Thanks again
  • JPears
    Forumite
    The re-routing flight to quote regs "at a time convenient to the passenger"

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    byron47 wrote: »
    hi , flight from Malaga to London city airport was delayed by two hours as the flight was late coming from Manchester to Malaga.
    Then because city airport closes at 10 on a Sunday our flight was diverted to stansted . So although the flight itself was 2 hours late there no way in hell we would get from stansted to city airport in an hour . Can I claim ? Strangely the flight tracker says the plane landed at London city BA 7024 15/09/2019 but it didn’t . And Botts say it’s claimable

Btw the curfew for landing aircraft at LCY is 22.30.
    The ‘operating air carrier’ for the flight was BA Cityflyer and not British Airways, if you start a small claim, make sure you or Bott get this right, the registered addresses are different.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Hi I’m just after some thoughts/opinions if possible. We were caught up in the BA IT glitch on 7th August. Our connecting flight from Manchester to Heathrow was cancelled so we made our own way to Heathrow for our flight from Heathrow to Miami. We departed late from Heathrow and landed in Miami 3 hours 20 minutes later than scheduled. I have emailed BA asking for compensation for the delay. BA have declined the request stating the inbound flight was struck by lightning, suffered damage and had to be swapped for another aircraft. I responded quoting other posts stating lightning strikes arent Classed as extraordinary circumstances but BA have again replied with a slightly different response stating the delay was because of repairs required to the aircraft before it could operate and as such no compensation is due. Should I pursue this further? Thanks
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Jibjabjob wrote: »
    Hi I’m just after some thoughts/opinions if possible. We were caught up in the BA IT glitch on 7th August. Our connecting flight from Manchester to Heathrow was cancelled so we made our own way to Heathrow for our flight from Heathrow to Miami. We departed late from Heathrow and landed in Miami 3 hours 20 minutes later than scheduled. I have emailed BA asking for compensation for the delay. BA have declined the request stating the inbound flight was struck by lightning, suffered damage and had to be swapped for another aircraft. I responded quoting other posts stating lightning strikes arent Classed as extraordinary circumstances but BA have again replied with a slightly different response stating the delay was because of repairs required to the aircraft before it could operate and as such no compensation is due. Should I pursue this further? Thanks

A quick and easy way to get affirmative confirmation, or not, is to enter your flight details into a couple of online flight calculators such as Bott & Co or EUclaim.

If affirmative you would be due half the full rate of compensation i.e €300pp, as it was under 4 hours.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Need some advise.

We had a BA flight cancellation out of Larnaca, Cyprus back on 17th August. Due to fly at 23.00 but eventually flew 14.00 the following day.

BA put us up overnight in Nicosia, provided transport food etc.

I have put in a claim for compensation but BA have refused 'due to Air Traffic Control restricted operations out of Greek airspace , a block of air space your aircraft needed to travel though. This delay caused our flight crew to be out of hours. This was out of our control'

Is that it or do I have any grounds to appeal??

TIA
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Put your flight details into euclaim and bottonline and see what they say then come back.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback