Hotels.com to introduce £4 fee when redeeming a reward night - MSE News

Hotel booking website Hotels.com is to begin charging customers £4 when they redeem a reward night - but you can avoid the fee by booking via its app...
Read the full story:
'Hotels.com to introduce £4 fee when redeeming a reward night'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• What sort of reward scheme charges people to use it?! I will use Booking.com instead, they are usually cheaper anyway.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does anyone actually use this regularly? There is usually a voucher code knocking around for 10-15% off one of the Expedia Group booking sites. And that way you are getting the saving up front in real terms, whereas the "reward night" scheme is a nominal 10% at some point in the future.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,188 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I emailed them as soon as they announced it to say that I won't be using them any longer. I don't want to book on an app - I want to see maps and browse on a browser. Just used up my last reward night, and won't be booking with them anymore.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The article says "A Hotels.com spokesperson said: "Over the last 10 years, our members have redeemed over 17 million reward nights with Hotels.com and we want that to continue."

So over the next 10 years if the same amount of bookings are made they'll make an extra 68 million, or 6.8 million a year!

I've actually started using ebookers because it gives better cashback on Quidco and it has its own reward scheme. Even though they expire after a year I book enough hotels to use it.

Looks like I'll be booking my reward nights I already have on the app! I prefer a browser to look for hotels, but once I've chosen a hotel I can easily book it through the app.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    cymruchris wrote: »
    I emailed them as soon as they announced it to say that I won't be using them any longer. I don't want to book on an app - I want to see maps and browse on a browser. Just used up my last reward night, and won't be booking with them anymore.

Cutting your nose off to spite your face here, surely?

Use a browser to find the hotel you want, once you have found it then go on the app and book it. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure