500 deposit

Options
Considering starting a new savings account or isa.
What can be achieved with 500 deposit.
This will be a savings account in addition to my ongoing H2S account.
Think I could manage another 50 per month.
MSER's care to suggest a starting point.
If an isa coyld be opened, that would ideal as a first ever isa
Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,276 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 June 2018 at 9:26PM
    Options
    I wouldn't use a savings account or ISA. £500 + £50 per month can be saved in a high interest current account and earn 5% completely tax free if you are a basic rate taxpayer and earn less than £1000 in interest per tax year.

For example, Nationwide Flexdirect. You would need to meet a funding requirement of £1000 per month, that can be achieved by transferring the £500 back and forth a couple of times. Alternatively, use their Flexclusive Regular Saver (also 5%) and there is no need to meet the funding requirement.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 June 2018 at 9:39PM
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    I wouldn't use a savings account or ISA. £500 + £50 per month can be saved in a high interest current account and earn 5% completely tax free if you are a basic rate taxpayer and earn less than £1000 in interest per tax year.

For example, Nationwide Flexdirect. You would need to meet a funding requirement of £1000 per month, that can be achieved by transferring the £500 back and forth a couple of times. Alternatively, use their Flexclusive Regular Saver (also 5%) and there is no need to meet the funding requirement.

Thanks very rapid response tonight appreciated.
    I shall call Natwide from Monday as I've only just paid off Felx direct overdraft via Step Change and account was since closed.
    I'm not sure If I'll be able to open a new flex account though I can only ask.
    Are there any other similar rate savings account to consider.
    We're sorry, but we can't offer you the product you've applied for because you're not eligible.-natwide as I suspected
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Dandytf
    Options
    Since searched 5% rates are all linked accounts which are of no use to myself as I don't want to switch.
    Think nest best are 2.25%.
    Maybe I'll keep in instant account until something else turns up. Or if I could find a decent isa for maybe 5 years.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,276 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you've previously had debt problems, then you might struggle to qualify for any of the other current accounts. As it seems this money is your only savings it would be best not to lock away with no access. Fixed term ISAs would be ok as you'd have access with an interest penalty in an emergency. Lots of options here, but none are particularly exciting.
  • Dandytf
    edited 28 June 2018 at 7:23AM
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    If you've previously had debt problems, then you might struggle to qualify for any of the other current accounts. As it seems this money is your only savings it would be best not to lock away with no access. Fixed term ISAs would be ok as you'd have access with an interest penalty in an emergency. Lots of options here, but none are particularly exciting.

2.05% Virgin money -5yrs.
    I shall open this next few days
    Thanks maybe I should review the mentioned list.
    Think it's E-Isa Issue 5 via Virgin-5 Year Fixed Rate Cash E-ISA 2.05 aer
  • bhjm
    bhjm Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    either nationwide current account with 5%(first year) + regular saver 5% for 250£ max per month.

if you plan to buy a house - Lifetime ISA would be an option as well - you can save 4.000 a year and get a bonus from 25% from the government - sadly 0.75% interest only. but outweighs by the bonus in my eyes
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bhjm wrote: »
    either nationwide current account with 5%(first year) + regular saver 5% for 250£ max per month.
    Probably too soon to re-apply, being as the OP was declined just over 12 hours ago. See post #3 ;)
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    if you plan to buy a house - Lifetime ISA would be an option as well - you can save 4.000 a year and get a bonus from 25% from the government - sadly 0.75% interest only. but outweighs by the bonus in my eyes

The Skipton BS Cash LISA paying 0.75% is about to be joined by a Nottingham BS Cash LISA paying ??% p.a.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Dandytf
    Options

As I'm a home owner I can;'t get h2buy isa unfortunately
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options
    Dandytf wrote: »
    2.05% Virgin money -5yrs.
    I shall open this next few days
    Thanks maybe I should review the mentioned list.
    Think it's E-Isa Issue 5 via Virgin-5 Year Fixed Rate Cash E-ISA 2.05 aer

If you put it in a 5 year fix you won't be able to get at it for 5 years or add anything extra to it, so you will just get 2.05% on £500 compounding a little each month.

It might be a better idea (if you like the idea of using a Virgin account) to pick a Virgin regular saver (Issue 11 is on at the moment - issue 12 probably next month). These are easy access and you can add each month up to £250, so it fits with what you want to put in. You'll also get 2.25% on a steadily increasing balance. So put £250 in tomorrow, another £250 on 1st July and then £50 monthly from August onwards for no more than 14 months in total. That may be your best bet if current accounts are out.

After the 14 month period (if you want to run the account for that long) you can start a new Virgin RS account and recycle the old regular saver so that your monthly pay-in can be slightly higher. You can do this for 5 years for a much better return than simply leaving £500 in a 5 year fix.

Also, you don't have to put money in a Virgin RS every month and you can take money out whenever you like - you just can't exceed £250 pay-in in any one month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure