PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Glenda wrote: »
    Could you please put me down for £150 again . That is for all meals for myself and my daughter. Toiletries and cleaning products.

I have been given a lovely slow cooker Mexican style recipe and last month I bought tinned kidney, black and cannelloni beans to use in the recipe. I was thinking it maybe more cost effective to buy dried?? Has anybody any experience using dried beans in cooking? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    I always keep both dried and tinned beans in my house so that when I plan ahead I can use dried, and for emergencies I have tins! There is a significant saving using dried but even so, tins are extremely cheap in general if you are comparing to meat or veggie substitutes! With the exception of butter beans (and all lentils), just soak a quantity of dried beans in water overnight, then the next day rinse well and cover (plus a good few inches) with fresh cold water - bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 1-2 hours - just try eating one after an hour and see if done or not! For butter beans, I find if I soak them they fall apart, so I just boil for 1.5-2 hours. Actually I sometimes do that with cannellini as well as they are prone to breaking up a bit. Hope that helps!

Oh yes also I always cook at least a few cups (I have a big 6 litre pot which is perfect for this) at once - bearing in mind they AT LEAST double in size, and then I weigh out the cooked ones into 240g portions and freeze (so a drained cans equivalent),
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Glenda wrote: »
    Could you please put me down for £150 again . That is for all meals for myself and my daughter. Toiletries and cleaning products.

I have been given a lovely slow cooker Mexican style recipe and last month I bought tinned kidney, black and cannelloni beans to use in the recipe. I was thinking it maybe more cost effective to buy dried?? Has anybody any experience using dried beans in cooking? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I cook dried beans all the time, usually doing three or four meals worth in a batch. It takes as much effort to cook 3 portions of beans as it does to cook 1, and about the same period of time. When the beans are cooked will I portion them up - usually into 500g boxes - and freeze the beans that I am not using tonight.

My method for most types of dried beans is the same. Soak 750g of dried beans overnight. Then drain them, bag up the beans and freeze them for a few days. This helps break down the cell walls so decreases the cooking time. I normally use a recycled bread bag or old freezer bag.

Often I dont bother defrosting the beans before cooking, just ease them out of the plastic and dump them in the pot. I have a pressure cooker so cook for 30 minutes at 15lb of pressure (aka high on my pressure cooker). That is possibly overkill time-wise, but it works for me. If you do not have a pressure cooker, then use your very largest pan - something that holds at least 6 litres of water. Bring the beans to the boil, boil them for at least 10 minutes and then simmer for the time recommended on the packet. The boiling destroys some toxins that are present in kidney beans.

For black turtle beans - aka black beans in American recipes - you can cook them straight from dried in a slow cooker if you use the High setting and plenty of liquid. I've tried cooking them on low and they were still hard 20 hours later. There's a Cuban Black Bean Stew recipe on my blog if you are interested (we aren't allowed to link).

HTH

Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Hi..
    Thanks Zippy for your wonderful efforts running the thread, they were much appreciated:T
    Thanks also to elsiepac for taking up the reins.. :j
    I'm in for March.. Please put me down for £300 again, just a little over it would seem in Feb, mainly due to me not planning ahead for busy times and one or two things!
    Good luck everyone and thanks also for the support and inspiration when I'm lacking :A
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Hi

Can’t believe we’re in March already.

My target this month is again £390 for the full calendar month. This covers all food (in and out of the house), cleaning stuff and toiletries plus food growing gubbins for three of us. Need to really stick to it now because we’ve just booked a big holiday for this summer - we normally rent a caravan but all of us have ‘big’ birthdays this year so we’re pushing the boat out. Eep!

Thank you to elsiepac for the thread and to lynnejk and Coxy for all your work. And special thanks to zippychick - hope everything is ok.

Sorry to hear about your friend PennyGrabber - that must have been an awful shock. Hope you are feeling better.

Good luck everyone! x
    LBM 23/09/13 - DFD 08/10/17 :T
  • Could you put me down for £370 for the month please, that includes all food/drink in and out of the house, nappies/wipes, cleaning and toiletries.
    Month runs from 1-31st March and is for 2 adults and 3 kids.

Have quite a bit in the freezer, need to finalise my meal plan and then write my bulk meat shopping list.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • In for another month - i have 3 spend days left until end of lent . Hoping for a a scrimpy month as i am a bit over budget for year due to my stockpiling "bargains" problem. I have enough cereal to do at least 4 months solid with variety in what i eat lol .32 tins of soup etc . My only needed buys are things for dinner - the only area i don't stockpile is freezer and milk to go with the cereal lol. non essentails will be fizzy juice (use up the alcohol in house) and snacks for on the go etc
    £365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty?? who knows where I am
    20,000 step a day challenge
  • Glenda
    Glenda Posts: 150 Forumite
    Thanks elsiepac and PipneyJane for the advise regarding the dried beans. I bought some today so I will try them out this weekend when I am doing my batch cooking.

Today I had my first shop, spent £40.20 between Mr T and Lidl, this should hopefully last 2 weeks. So that's £109.80 left in my budget until the 29th March.
  • Itisme_2
    Itisme_2 Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm going to aim for £200 please.
  • Thanks for running the thread for so long Zippychick. It's been much appreciated by us all and thanks to elsiepac for taking over the job.

I've been doing the challenge for a year now and it's made a massive difference to our finances as we've gone from spending every penny we earned to comfortably saving some each month. Thank you to everyone for the inspiration and ideas and camaraderie.

I start the month tomorrow and I'll sign up for my usual £100 please.

Good luck everyone!
  • Hi, I'm going to reduce my budget by £1 a day this month, although the way I've split the months I have five weeks in 'March', so please can you put me down for £560. Thanks!
    Sealed pot challenge - 12 - #004

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport