PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    spirit wrote: »
    I agree with the other MF people (as per my sig) There really is nothing like knowing that no one can take this from me.

Cold and a bit wet south of Manchester. No snow thankfully. I had beans with poached egg on toast for breakfast. Having a coffee now and had an apple a short while ago.

Had 2 rehome the 2 'new' cats on Saturday, broke my heart but my existing nearly 15 yr old cat, was scared of them and hid in the wardrobe. she'd not been in the sitting room for the last 6 months. Luckily, the shelter I'd got them from found a lady they could go straight to rather than going back into those tiny pens. I miss them terribly, but in a way it's nice to have my house back and not have to divide the house in two, to keep them separate. Catface can now come and go as she pleases.

Keep warm everyone.

Och that would have been hard but you can't live your life in a "war zone" so to speak, at least they got to go to another home.

I'm getting there MFW wise (73% me, 27% building society:)) just later in life than I would have liked but needs must as I was determined to buy my ex out so had to take on a large mortgage in my 40s, not ideal but it was the right thing to do for me & my boys:D
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 13 February 2018 at 11:25AM
    I can see the point re caution on the amount of mortgage overpaid whilst there's a penalty for doing so above a certain amount. In that position - I'd probably pay back 1p less than the limit before a penalty came into play and put the rest aside for when I got a new mortgage deal and penalty didn't apply any longer.

'Tis true it was easier in the day of standard repayment mortgages (which I chose and refused to have an endowment one - whew!) and I could/did pay off bits "as and when".

....and back to food...and I don't go by date on calendar as to what I do at all food-wise (or any other-wise:rotfl:) but am partial to pancakes.

I shall have to have a go at some point at conventional pancake recipe, but with chia "eggs" instead of eggs iyswim.

Now I'm working more on the idea of having some "good to go" homemade "basics" in the freezer - I'm wondering whether I could make some pancakes and have them there readymade in the freezer to hoick out one or two at a time? I don't have a microwave - and so re-heating would be down to = whack into a frying pan and heat briefly on both sides I guess??

Thoughts?

Further thought on that being - how to actually store them in the freezer - as I shall be trying not to replace my plastic ziplock bags as they wear out. I gotta plan currently to check out what's now come re "goods to replace plastic" in an imminent shopping trip and shall see what shop concerned has available so far...and not at all sure what to use. I have bought several zip-able cloth bags for bread now and that are freezer-friendly - but wondering what to use in some other respects.
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    caronc wrote: »

I'm getting there MFW wise (73% me, 27% building society:)) just later in life than I would have liked but needs must as I was determined to buy my ex out so had to take on a large mortgage in my 40s, not ideal but it was the right thing to do for me & my boys:D

I think you should look back on that time as a fantastic achievement Caronc. Look at it from the standpoint that the BS ONLY own 27% of the bricks, the rest are yours.

it doesn't matter especially whenabouts in life this happens, many won't achieve it until after state pension age going forwards.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • I

I shall have to have a go at some point at conventional pancake recipe, but with chia "eggs" instead of eggs iyswim.

Now I'm working more on the idea of having some "good to go" homemade "basics" in the freezer - I'm wondering whether I could make some pancakes and have them there readymade in the freezer to hoick out one or two at a time? I don't have a microwave - and so re-heating would be down to = whack into a frying pan and heat briefly on both sides I guess??

Thoughts?
    They will be fine to take out of the freezer and re-heat in a frying pan. That is how I do it with pancakes. I did try to re-heat one in the microwave once and it was awful. It was just soggy and went really stodgy as will.
  • True - ie you own the major part of your home.

I must admit to being surprised to discover just how many of my agegroup still have/have gotten back to having mortgages - but I guess it's often down to the divorce rate of our generation and I can see you had no option but to do "clean break" stuff and buy out the ex - so that was that and finito.

I even have a friend that lost owning a house they already had basically down to their own carelessness (which they admit - to some extent - whilst I keep my mouth firmly shut...) and they just started a mortgage again at about the same sort of age I am:eek:.

A much better position too than a couple of people I used to know that were well into middle age and sold their houses and started just blowing the house equity on "spending":eek:. I was sitting there gobsmacked - as you can imagine...
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I can see the point re caution on the amount of mortgage overpaid whilst there's a penalty for doing so above a certain amount. In that position - I'd probably pay back 1p less than the limit before a penalty came into play and put the rest aside for when I got a new mortgage deal and penalty didn't apply any longer.

That's what I'm trying to do....:)

'Tis true it was easier in the day of standard repayment mortgages (which I chose and refused to have an endowment one - whew!) and I could/did pay off bits "as and when".

....and back to food...and I don't go by date on calendar as to what I do at all food-wise (or any other-wise:rotfl:) but am partial to pancakes.

Thoughts?

Further thought on that being - how to actually store them in the freezer - as I shall be trying not to replace my plastic ziplock bags as they wear out. I gotta plan currently to check out what's now come re "goods to replace plastic" in an imminent shopping trip and shall see what shop concerned has available so far...and not at all sure what to use. I have bought several zip-able cloth bags for bread now and that are freezer-friendly - but wondering what to use in some other respects.

Pancakes freeze just fine just separate them with greaseproof or waxed paper.
    spirit wrote: »
    I think you should look back on that time as a fantastic achievement Caronc. Look at it from the standpoint that the BS ONLY own 27% of the bricks, the rest are yours.

it doesn't matter especially whenabouts in life this happens, many won't achieve it until after state pension age going forwards.

Thank you. I'm "nerdy" enough to have grid which represents the value of the house with each square representing £1k , green squares represent the bit I own, red the bit the BS owns..... I love updating it :o:rotfl::rotfl:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I got fish fingers/chips out of the freezer to put them into a bread roll.... then changed my mind and put them back into the freezer.

Reheated the final slice of pie in the end, served with carrots, peas, instant mash and gravy :)
  • Farway wrote: »
    Congrats W2000 on the mortgage repayment plan. I'm with Money on this, like her I paid of early. It was fairly easy in a way because at one time the mortgage interest rate was over 12%, as it slipped down to around 8% I continued paying the same sum in, thus rapidly decreasing the capital balance owing

A big relief when paid off, as Money says, not beholden to anyone from then on, and in my case enabled me to snatch voluntary redundancy and [STRIKE][STRIKE]"retire"[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] go on the dole, not eligible and thus not paid, at 60 as male was not allowed to

Yikes 12%. The highest rate we have had was just over 5%. That must have felt great to pay it off, I can't wait until the whole thing is gone.:)

I calculated that we do actually have enough in savings to pay the whole thing off, but I want to keep a healthy emergency fund too. I'm fairly cautious as my husband and I have both had health problems.
  • I just had a banana, a clementine and a cup of coffee for breakfast.

Roasted chickpeas, HM potato wedges and salad for lunch.:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,198 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 13 February 2018 at 4:17PM
    caronc wrote: »
    I'm "nerdy" enough to have grid which represents the value of the house with each square representing £1k , green squares represent the bit I own, red the bit the BS owns..... I love updating it :o:rotfl::rotfl:

Loved this idea, go on, now make the grid into brick shaped blocks that look like a house, or perhaps a plan view of your plot and shade in as paid off? Wish I had thought of that years ago

Up and about, slow cooker on to heat up prior to shower.

Bu66er, shower has gone bosoms up:(:mad:. Only found out when about to step in, soon hopped out sharpish. I managed to get a lukewarm shower, which would be ideal in August but not Freezing February

Checking Google plumber, likely cause is a duff thermostatic cartridge in the mixer bit. Once I could've easily replaced it, but wonky fingers and lack of bendy bits means may have to bite the bullet and get a plumber in. Or, checking prices, just buy another mixer and fit it myself, only two easily accessible nuts instead of Allen keys and circlips, I reckon I can do that for about £20 more than plumber call out charge. One to ponder on, excuse any smells seeping out in the meantime:D

Horrible day after the shower, wet, windy & cold. Slow cooker stew on and bubbling away, Dumplings yet to made

Lunch was BF ham & salad sarnie

Just realised it is pancake day, I love pancakes, but stew & dumplings will trump them today

I was given two OOD sliced loaves today, they are fine but cannot be used in the kitchen where I volunteer, it would contravene all food regulations apparently, and we could lose our 5 food hygiene rating so not worth it

Jumbo bread pudding coming up later this week:T. Every cloud etc
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback