Wandering on

Comments

• Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I look forward on your ideas on the wish farm. I found it frustrating and gave up lol!
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi Drawing - yep that's the risk with it - but I want to learn some diligence around putting pennies away so who knows!

My plan is to capture details of things that I "want" into a wish list - in reality it won't just be things but also experiences (e.g. a nice dinner out / a massage etc) and then in the wish farm start funding 2 or 3 of them at a time. My wish farm at the moment has a Large Le Creuset cooking pot, a silk or wool duvet in it, and a Neals Yard treatment. So nothing hugely expensive but things I can chip away at and reward myself with. I'll be sweeping any change out of my YNAB categories into them so it's only if I've been good with budgets that I can add to them.
    We'll see - worth a try and if I get a few nice treats out of it, then lovely!!!

Good news this PM - looks like house sale is a goer - and they want to move quickly after exchange - which fingers crossed may happen next week. We're going to the house tomorrow to do garden tidy up and moving things out - depending on how we get on (hopefully well!) we will probably be able to do 1 more weekend and then be done - so we could be aiming the sale for about 15th Feb!! or sooner. Eek. Exciting.
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Great to hear that the house sale is going through OK (fingers crossed)

Ours is not in such a great place... have told the solicitor that if it;s not sorted by next weekend then we are pulling out of selling it... they got if for a bargain price so we'll see what happens,
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • You are doing a great job Ramble. Loving your focus. xx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • System
    Chrystal wrote: »
    Great to hear that the house sale is going through OK (fingers crossed)

Ours is not in such a great place... have told the solicitor that if it;s not sorted by next weekend then we are pulling out of selling it... they got if for a bargain price so we'll see what happens,

Oh no - that sounds very similar to what happened to us first time around - i think poart of the problem is the paperwork bit takes so long that people get cold feet. Wish we had the same thing as Scotland that once you say you are going to buy you have to (or pay huge fines!)

Fingers crossed for you. We got more 2nd time round (£5K more) and I actually think if it had gone back on open market it would have gone up by £10K - so you never know, it might work in your favour.
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ramblehan wrote: »
    Oh no - that sounds very similar to what happened to us first time around - i think poart of the problem is the paperwork bit takes so long that people get cold feet. Wish we had the same thing as Scotland that once you say you are going to buy you have to (or pay huge fines!)

Fingers crossed for you. We got more 2nd time round (£5K more) and I actually think if it had gone back on open market it would have gone up by £10K - so you never know, it might work in your favour.

We sold it for £50,000 less that it was valued for probate as OH just couldn't tale the stress it was causing - it was bequeathed to him, but I'm the one having to sort everything out and that stressed him out more.... He keeps saying he wishes it had been left to somebody else...men! :rotfl If it goes through by the weekend then fine - if not I'll have to go and stay down there for a couple of weeks to sort things out.
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • System
    £50K less Chyrstal - that's bonkers....but you have to do what you have to do. I hope your sale has moved on (and you've avoided the trip back up there?)
  • System
    So - things are a moving along.
    We are talking about a completion date of 19th February - so that's positive, but we still haven't exchanged. Latest message from the solicitor was they were still not ready (but no explanation as to why?!) so sent an email asking why? She'd have saved herself sometime if she just gave me more of an explanation!!!!! Sigh. Hard work.

We've organised for the asbestos to be picked up (should be happening today) with an EVIL:eek: £666 price tag. I mean really!
    We've also decided to book a Luton van to clear remaining garden junk - very little left in the house now. All of that cost has gone on the barclaycard.

Spendingwise - I've been NAUGHTY so there's been a few unplanned expenses. Had to decrement the emergency fund substantially. Was feeling very unaware of what was happening in the accounts - not sure if I did budgets last Friday, or if i did I just promptly forgot where I was at. Anyway, feeling like a bit of a failure.

I'll update the bad news below.:( Got quite a few big expenses to come out (barclaycard payment, insurance etc) also still waiting for work expenses to get credited so have had to move plenty across just in case they don't come in before D/D's need to go out.
  • System
    Emergency fund: £620.54
    CC LJ 0%: £7,564.23 (with £175 to come off - £7455.66)
    CC HJ 0%: £10,595.17

Total CC to clear: £18,159.40

Emergency fund::( £120.54

Solicitor has just come back and said everything's OK, it's just that the agent is a bit ahead of the game! Fingers still very crossed.

I've got £96 in petrol budget, £80 in food budget. I'm expecting a child benefit on the 22nd so that will help top up food budget later on. Going to go food shopping today for bits and pieces. Or may internet shop.
  • System
    edited 9 February 2018 at 3:27PM
    Jobs list:

file the filing drawer which is overflowing
    Sort out house file to leave in the old house
    Keep checking YNAB on a weekly basis as a minimum - Done!
    Investigate a 'YNAB Wish Farm' - Done!

Sort out a new electricity deal (current one ends March) (Come on!!!)
    Meal plan for this week - and try to do at least 3 meat free meals, starting from today (Come on!!!)

Lots of self nagging above. Feeling a bit low this week, don't know why. Work is tough - lots of big expensive decisions to make, feeling a bit overwhelmed. Maybe that's what's playing out in home budgeting. Got 2 days off end of next week so hopefully that will help get me back on track. Thinking about leaving DD at nursery and having 2 days just to myself for a recharge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure