Comments

• Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,780 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 February 2015 at 11:00AM
    Options
    eggbox wrote: »
    Hi Wembley

First of all I'm really glad you have (finally!) managed to resolve your sale at last. And many, many thanks for coming back to the board to report your success.

I also understand your frustrations over this matter as it does seem ridiculous a creditor can withhold confirmation to the LR of being notified of a sale, as the Restriction stated, when they clearly have been notified? I also agree with you that I don't understand why overreaching doesn't occur in this instance, as it does on a Standard Form K, when it's a sale for value to a third party?

But at least your persistence has paid off and it should give people the encouragement not to give up when faced with a similar situation!

eggbox - like you I am glad to read that Wembley has at long last been able to resolve the issue. And I mean that quite genuinely even though I appreciate some of their frustration has been directed at us, Land Registry. Hence my picking up on your post rather than quoting from Wembley's own last post.

I think I have covered these points before so apologies if I am repeating anything

The issue of the creditor withholding their confirmation/certificate would be covered by the law around charging orders and the court process involved.

Overreaching can and does occur when dealing with a number of standard restrictions, including a form K restriction. It does not occur so readily for non-standard restrictions and/or those specifically permitted/granted by the court.

As I am sure you will appreciate if the court has been asked to provide the additional protection afforded by this extra restriction then it presumably had good reason to then grant the necessary order. This in turn then takes it out of the norm and any issue as to why it is then not overreached in the same way would be a matter of law, again around charging orders.

Whilst I can see both sides of the argument in such cases it would seem odd to me that a court would provide an order that essentially then resulted in two restrictions, the usual and standard form K and this other type, which could both then be simply overreached in exactly the same set of circumstances?

In your dealings with the courts/creditors have you come across such a scenario previously and can you shed any light on why a creditor might apply for such additional protection? Clearly they can but any ideas why they would as this seems to be a rare example.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • JMSCV
    JMSCV Posts: 13 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Land Registry Rep,

A quick question on this for you.

I have a Restriction on my beneficial interest in the family home.
    I recently was made bankrupt but my wife has bought the OR's interest in our home.
    I now have no beneficial interest in the property whatsoever. As the charge was for my share and I no longer own it can my wife apply to the Land Registry to have the order removed from the deeds?

Thanks

JMSCV
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    JMSCV - I suspect she can but would probably need to provide the OR's certificate confirming what had happened etc.
    If you are unsure as to what is required then I would suggest contacting us with the specific details inc address/title number and an explanation of what has happened and which entry you are seeking to have removed
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • eggbox
    eggbox Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi LRR

Firstly, I don't think that Wembley's anger has been aimed at yourself, personally, as you are genuinely helpful within the confines of what you are able to comment on on this thread. However, I do have to say that LR staff (in my dealings) aren't as helpful to the general public as they could be. This, I feel, is because many staff view any advice given would be seen as "legal" advice. This is not always the case (as you have clearly proven on this thread) but because of this many don't give any advice at all and that is unhelpful given the complexities of the LR system?

With regard to the Restrictions I have seen it previously but I haven't understood how or why a creditor can obtain this wording? However, having wording that states no disposition can occur until a written letter has been received by the Restrictioner seems reasonable extra protection if that is what they require? What doesn't seem reasonable (especially to the buyer) is for the Restrictioner to deliberately withhold notification to the LR when it has definitely been notified of the sale and within the time limits as stated? Surely the buyer must have some recourse to this deliberate action?

This is why I struggle to understand why overreaching doesn't occur in this instance when a sale has been made for value, and proof can be provided to the LR, that the Restrictioner has been notified but is deliberately withholding notification? But, as I've previously said, the Law works best for those who know how to use it.
  • Land_Registry
    edited 17 February 2015 at 1:16PM
    Options
    eggbox - I wasn't suggesting that Wembley was taking aim personally as we can't be too sensitive around such things when active in a public forum after all.

I accept that we may not always be as helpful as people might wish or hope for but as you clearly appreciate, the law is very complex and it is the law around debt and charging orders that it most relevant here and that is not our area of expertise.

Yes, we can advise on our procedures and how to submit an application for registration but we cannot advise on the ins and outs around the law, which in these cases is really what is needed.

The registration process can be complex in some ways but in essence that aspect relates largely to the completion and submission of the forms required and lodgement of the supporting evidence. Any complexities tend to then arise with regards that supporting evidence and whether it is sufficient in law which, as mentioned, is then outside the areas on which we can advise.

In most cases we are at the end of any process involving land/property be that a mortgage or purchase or indeed where a charging order has been granted and the creditor decides to then protect that interest on the register. We are not directly involved in how the legal complexities involved in how the buyer, borrower or indeed creditor/debtor arrived at that point.

The extra restriction provided in Wembley's case as a result of the court order is rare in my experience. I appreciate that Wembley may not have attended court at the time of the hearing and/or may not have had legal advice/assistance but I wonder if he/she might be able to shed some light on how or why that additional protection was afforded?

I agree the wording of the restriction seems reasonable as it makes it clear that it is providing that extra protection simply because it is different to a standard form K restriction.

The issue of being unreasonable in deliberately withholding notification to us when they, the creditor, has definitely been notified of the sale and within the time limits as stated would again be a matter of law - I doubt if it would be the buyer who would have any recourse directly with the creditor but presumably the seller would and if their buyer had lost out then the law may take a view on that as well. But that is for the courts/law to decide on and not us.

I cannot recall every part of Wembley's example but I am unsure whether at any stage an application was made to cancel the restriction based on evidence which demonstrated that the creditor had been notified and that they had received it and that they had refused to supply the written confirmation - all parts and not just some?

Asking the question 'what can we do in such a situation?' is very different from submitting an actual application and whilst I am not suggesting this would have made any difference here it is important to recognise the difference between an enquiry where no actual evidence is seen and an actual application. The former triggers a general response whilst the latter requires much more.

The issue of why overreaching doesn't occur in this instance when a sale has been made for value, and proof can be provided that the Restrictioner has been notified but is deliberately withholding notification, I suspect, largely relates back to the court originally granting this additional protection and how the law then sees it. The court would I suspect be aware that a form K can be overreached after all.
  • JMSCV
    Options
    Thanks LRR,
    Does this mean that the K restriction that NRAM obtained prior to my BR can also be removed? The restriction is purely on my beneficial interest in the property which I now no longer have.
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    JMSCV - if the form K relates to the OR's interest as well then probably yes but you would need to submit an RX3 and the evidence as mentioned.
    If I have understood correctly you and your wife are transferring the title into her sole name so that would not overreach a form K hence the need for the OR's consent/certificate as appropriate
  • JMSCV
    Options
    Thank you
    They're two separate restrictions. One from 2013 (NRAM) and the other from the OR. I understand the OR's will be removed but I'm more concerned about the one from NRAM. As I mentioned, the NRAM restriction is purely for my BI which I no longer have.
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    JMSCV - I am afraid NRAM means nothing to me and a google search does not really help either. However that may not be that important from a registration perspective though as it is the type of restriction and the wording that matters most here.

Our online guidance around personal insolvency may help
  • eggbox
    eggbox Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NRAM plc is a British asset holding and management company which was split away from the Northern Rock bank in 2010. It is currently under public ownership, due to the bank's nationalisation in 2008

What is the LR position (regarding removal of its Restriction) if NRAM's Restriction predates the OR Restriction?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback