Partner taken loan in my name

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    You need to get all cards cancelled and see if you can encourage her to overpay the loan so it's cleared earlier.

Never let someone have credit in your name - if they can't have it in their own name, ask yourself why.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • newuser86
    newuser86 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Get your credit report and post on here what you find so someone can help. you may be in for a shock... hopefully not
  • Woods09
    Woods09 Posts: 4 Newbie
    There are 3 in my name one is mine but my credit score is in the red
  • newuser86
    newuser86 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    And what are the other two cards and balance? Are there any defaults?
  • FrugalShaz
    FrugalShaz Posts: 14 Forumite
    I would stop all cards she has access to and look at your finances. Try to agree on a repayment schedule. If you are leaving her then she may just walk away. The debt is in your name, you could call the police as it is fraud but if you knew she was doing this then there may be not much you can do about it. If you cannot meet your repayment then you will need to contact a debt adviser like Step Change.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Woods09 wrote: »
    There are 3 in my name one is mine but my credit score is in the red

Your score can be any colour it wants.

What do your files say about the accounts? What is their status?
  • John_Jones
    John_Jones Posts: 208 Forumite
    Woods09 wrote: »
    Only the loan was with my authentication
    Then you are saying that she committed fraud, so your first step should be reporting it.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    You need to get all cards cancelled and see if you can encourage her to overpay the loan so it's cleared earlier.

Never let someone have credit in your name - if they can't have it in their own name, ask yourself why.

Post 1 seems to clear this up - she went bankrupt.
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Hope the sex was worth all this lol

Seriously you need to find out exactly what loans/credit cards etc you have and stop/freeze them immediately. And be fully prepared to report the fraud by your parter to the police and press charges etc.
  • jimbo747
    jimbo747 Posts: 630 Forumite
    How would your prove it was fraud? Easy to split with an ex after blowing a load of cash and say he or she actually took out credit in your name, please can I have a refund. Not reporting it now and waiting till you split months down the line after 'realising' won't help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure