Peer-to-peer lending sites: MSE guide discussion

Comments

• coldjim
    coldjim Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Froggitt wrote: »
    If, for example, you have your £20k ISA allowance to invest, Kufflink have a 5% cashback through Quidco. Thats a grand.

Ah didn't know there was cashback on these type of accounts. I have opened a kuflink now and invested £500, but gone through a referral to get an extra £100 which i suppose I am 20% up already on my investment (plus the referral is giving me an extra £75 back too from their share).
  • Gspree
    Gspree Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Can anyone recommend the best P2P cashback offers for new investors currently? Aside from the Kufflink and Ratesetter as I've picked up their bonuses already.

(I'm leaning towards Lending Works as they're offering £50 cashback on a £1k+ investment and they seem a stable platform with decent interest rates).

Thanks
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    firestone wrote: »
    There is an auto invest and monthly plan product from Octopus Choice which i would assume with regards platform safety to come from one of the bigger companies in this field due to the relative size of the parent company(but there is still the general risk of this market) and the fact they have been in investments for quite a while running funds/VCT & recently Octopus cash a savings product in partnership with some challenger banks.Could be worth some research if interested but would only consider P2P for a small part of your pot

I use Octopus Choice, rates average around 4%, usually slightly above.

Easy to sell out if you need money, I took 5 figures out last year due to concerns about diversifications (too much money spread over too few loans) and I had the money back within 48 hours.

However 4% ish is fairly low, Assetz Capital have a property fund that targets 5.5% doing much the same thing.

I use OC mainly as I like to spread my money around multiple sites
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Gspree wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend the best P2P cashback offers for new investors currently?
    Honestly? That seems a very dangerous way of picking a platform.

"I don't care if the rates are terrible for the risk, look at the shiny pen the nice salesman gave me!"
  • keyboardworrier
    keyboardworrier Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 May 2018 at 11:17AM
    I had money in Octopus Choice but removed it, after thinking about it for a little while I didn't like the fact I was only getting 4%. I understand they have 5% skin in the game but Kuflink at the time had 20% and was paying 6-7%. Now Kuflink have 5% skin across all loans and a 20% "guarantee" which should cover capital+interest in the event of default.

Gspree wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend the best P2P cashback offers for new investors currently? Aside from the Kufflink and Ratesetter as I've picked up their bonuses already.

(I'm leaning towards Lending Works as they're offering £50 cashback on a £1k+ investment and they seem a stable platform with decent interest rates).

Thanks

Landbay may be worth looking into, that offers a £50 bonus too. You have to invest £5k to get it. One great thing about that platform is that your money earns interest whilst it's sat in the investment queue in the form of cashback.
  • Orca has been offering a new investor bonus of £100 and they diversify across several platforms from one portfolio. Think they're about to launch some new bonuses (similar to aforementioned)... may be worth signing up as I get emails about the incentive schemes quite regularly.
  • Anyone know the latest on Collateral following the legal case at the end of April?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,213 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Anyone know the latest on Collateral following the legal case at the end of April?
    Nothing substantial has happened since. BDO are providing information at https://www.bdo.co.uk/en-gb/collateral-companies-in-administration

Realistically it will be a month or so before a new set of proposals for the administration are likely to be made.
  • fun4everyone
    fun4everyone Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Is it worthwhile emailing them and registering as an investor? They mention doing that in a pdf I read.

Surely we will not have to do that to get whatever is due to us.
  • firestone
    firestone Posts: 520 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I had money in Octopus Choice but removed it, after thinking about it for a little while I didn't like the fact I was only getting 4%. I understand they have 5% skin in the game but Kuflink at the time had 20% and was paying 6-7%. Now Kuflink have 5% skin across all loans and a 20% "guarantee" which should cover capital+interest in the event of default.

Landbay may be worth looking into, that offers a £50 bonus too. You have to invest £5k to get it. One great thing about that platform is that your money earns interest whilst it's sat in the investment queue in the form of cashback.
    Thought from the P2P indie forum that Kuflink had no skin in the game now with new loans going forward hence the 100% availability.And the 20% "guarantee" is in the form of a provision fund.
    would agree about Landbay and their cashback on queue being good but they do seem to be funding new money quicker over the last year and have just joined the L&G mortgage panel among others which should help.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback