Up for a laugh? A 23 year old's guide on how (not) to be mortgage free

Comments

• Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Avoided an expensive day out yesterday - OH and me went up Cheshire Oaks which, for those more southern varieties who haven't been, is middle class outlet shopping heaven.

Ended up having lunch at Wagamama with just tap water & a meal to share, limiting myself to £6 in the Lindt shop, and finally picking up a new big-coat down from £140 to £45 (and then a £25 gift voucher on top of it). Fine by me, definitely a need rather than a want as haven't had one since I spilt paint on my old one a year and a half ago :D
  • Blibble
    OH is on a business trip this evening in London (alright for some!) so I've had a very MSE evening. 2 hours overtime, followed by a quick shop around ASDA with 2 loaves of 5p bread & 10p butternut squash for a soup this weekend. Feeling very smug this evening with that :j
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good frugal shopping finds there Blibble :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Blibble
    Good frugal shopping finds there Blibble :)

Thanks! Did feel like a chump sticking it on debit card though as I had no change :rotfl:
  • Blibble wrote: »
    Thanks! Did feel like a chump sticking it on debit card though as I had no change :rotfl:

Always the time to use self service.....
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Blibble
    Even better MSE day today! Last week I happened to be looking through my payslips, and found I'd paid £20 back to Student Loans Company last month.. However, I hadn't hit the £1750 gross threshold, so raise a query with SLC who confirmed the payment was wrong and referred me back to my HR team to contact HMRC.

As I hadn't heard from HR since, I thought I'd give it a chase. They called HMRC, and confirmed that SLC need to deal with it. So, off I go back to SLC ready with a rant about who I should be speaking to in order to get my £20 OP money, and we work out that I'm on the wrong repayment plan, have been for nearly 3 years, and am owed at least £130 and, if I can find my oldest payslips with work, probably nearer £200!

OH thinks it's going on a meal out, but what she doesn't know won't hurt her :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Blibble
    Get to spend the wedding budget for the first time next week :j We've booked a meal at the venue we're looking at so we can sample their food. Well, that's what we're telling ourselves ... really we just wanted an excuse for a meal out :D

Butternut squash soup made today was lush :). Slightly over on the food budget again, however that was mainly due to stockpiling on a certain brand of crisps which were £2.65 for 40 in B&M. About £12 over for the month on groceries, but it will come under budget by payday :p
  • Blibble
    Bit of a bummer at work today - had it confirmed that they're cutting my overtime. No more milking them at time and a half then, but on the plus side I can concentrate on doing my own job properly rather than 2 or 3 different roles & I'll have a better work-life balance going forward.

Back to the drawing board to work out where the rest of the £3000 extra income target for the year is coming from :think:
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,878 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    That's a pity! But when one door closes.... I'm sure something else will pop up to fill the gap! (Is it likely that things will change again after the financial year end?)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Blibble
    Likely not - work have hired more staff so no chance of things changing in the foreseeable. Bit frustrating as they've not hired anybody for my department, and blanket-banned overtime, so to speak.

Long week ahead; OH's grandfather has taken a turn for the worse. Her sister's travelling up this evening to see him, so OH and me are looking after her kids this evening until brother-in-law gets back from work at midnight. Hey ho, we'll get there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure