PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenant - boiler repairs

Hi, could somebody please tell me if my landlord is obliged to repair the thermostat/room temperature control dial to my boiler? It isn't working and it is so difficult to regulate the heat in my house, and I have high gas bills too. Thank you so much.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    NZ2019 wrote: »
    Hi, could somebody please tell me if my landlord is obliged to repair the thermostat/room temperature control dial to my boiler? It isn't working and it is so difficult to regulate the heat in my house, and I have high gas bills too. Thank you so much.

Possibly, but it may be simpler to get it repaired yourself - has there been a quote for this?

I cant see it being overly expensive.
  • Comms69 wrote: »
    Possibly, but it may be simpler to get it repaired yourself - has there been a quote for this?

I cant see it being overly expensive.

Hi, thanks for your response. I've had quotes from between £100 and £200 but it's a cost I don't want to pay if I shouldn't have to.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If it has been damaged or failed because of abuse or improper use (which is unlikely) then it would be for you to cover the cost of the repair. Otherwise, I would view this as the landlord's responsibility.

What has your landlord said about this issue?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If the radiators have trv's these can be used to limit overheating rooms.
  • Dorian1958
    Dorian1958 Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Provided you didn't damage it through abuse it is the landlord responsibility. Refer to your tenancy agreement for how to report faults in the property.
  • baldelectrician
    baldelectrician Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It depends on where you stay
    In Scotland the landlord has a duty to maintain things like the heating at the start and throughout the tenancy
    baldly going on...
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ask and see what the response is.
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Has the landlord refused to fix it?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The landlord has a legal duty to provide functioning heating. There's no legal duty to ensure a certain standard of adjustability or control.

If it's simply the thermostat that's playing up, a direct replacement is going to be cheap and very simple to fit. Pic of it?
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You don't mention what sort of landlord - Council, Housing association, housing co-op, The Crown, private... - could you please let us know as the rights of the tenant vary by landlord type (& other things... eg tenancy type, when you moved in..)

If you haven't already, 1st step: Write (yes, WRITE or email,, keep copy) to landlord (yes LANDLORD, copy any agent) a letter using Shelter's draft here
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/how_to_report_repairs_to_a_private_landlord
    - then follow up with the advice from that link.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure