MSE News: Vodafone launches b'band speed guarantee

Former_MSE_Stephen_B
Former_MSE_Stephen_B Posts: 76 MSE Staff
First Anniversary First Post
edited 2 March 2018 at 1:47PM in Broadband & internet access
Vodafone has launched a broadband minimum speed guarantee which promises to cut your monthly bill if your speed drops - but only if you tell it...
Read the full story:
'Vodafone's new offer will discount next month's bill if your broadband speed drops - here's what you need to know'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If only Vodafone could get the basic sorted -- like answering calls, not ignoring any query that requires a call back, not leaving users weeks without broadband with no explanation...
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think that!!!8217;s part of their business model isn!!!8217;t it?
  • Looks like a clever get out clause from vodafone. I've already been told to use a direct ethernet connection to check my speed which is getting as low as 1.8mbps.. interesting now the syncing speed on wifi in the app constantly says 40mbps. don't think I will get far with any help now.
  • esuhl
    Looks like a clever get out clause from vodafone. I've already been told to use a direct ethernet connection to check my speed which is getting as low as 1.8mbps.. interesting now the syncing speed on wifi in the app constantly says 40mbps. don't think I will get far with any help now.

It looks like the app just reads the sync speed from the router, so if it says 40MB/s, that should be the connection you're actually getting.

If wifi speeds are low, then (assuming the router isn't faulty), there's nothing Vodafone will be able to do. No one can guarantee wireless connection speeds because there are too many unknown variables.

You could set the router to a less crowded wireless channel, move closer to the router, use Ethernet, get additional wireless access points, get powerline adaptors, or range extenders...
  • Thanks, Im already now using the ethernet cable as suggested by vodafone plugged straight into the router but its still really slow, averaging around 8mbs - was as low as 1 this evening but it still says 40mbps as the sync speed on the app. I will continue to speak to their tech team about that but if they are only looking at sync speed now they won't take any responsibility so I might have to change providers.

esuhl wrote: »
    It looks like the app just reads the sync speed from the router, so if it says 40MB/s, that should be the connection you're actually getting.

If wifi speeds are low, then (assuming the router isn't faulty), there's nothing Vodafone will be able to do. No one can guarantee wireless connection speeds because there are too many unknown variables.

You could set the router to a less crowded wireless channel, move closer to the router, use Ethernet, get additional wireless access points, get powerline adaptors, or range extenders...
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    edited 4 March 2018 at 12:26AM
    Thanks, Im already now using the ethernet cable as suggested by vodafone plugged straight into the router but its still really slow, averaging around 8mbs - was as low as 1 this evening but it still says 40mbps as the sync speed on the app. I will continue to speak to their tech team about that but if they are only looking at sync speed now they won't take any responsibility so I might have to change providers.

Have you split the frequencies it normally sorts it out
    https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/Vodafone-Router-WiFi-issues-Change-Settings/td-p/2581345
  • gardner1 wrote: »

Thanks, Yes I have split the frequencies as another post mentioned that, it's helped the wifi devices but the problem seems to be with the main feed into the router as it completely slows down to sometimes a standstill between 8-10pm at weekends. Im currently just using 1 device with an ethernet cable and its still really slow, if I check it via the app it still says 40mbps sync speed so not sure if it will get resolved.
  • jrsga
    jrsga Posts: 93 Forumite
    gardner1 wrote: »

Thanks, Yes I have split the frequencies as another post mentioned that, it's helped the wifi devices but the problem seems to be with the main feed into the router as it completely slows down to sometimes a standstill between 8-10pm at weekends. Im currently just using 1 device with an ethernet cable and its still really slow, if I check it via the app it still says 40mbps sync speed so not sure if it will get resolved.

Hi there,

I am contemplating signing up to Vodafones' Fibre (38) but did you get this resolved? From my research service drops in the evening to quite frankly unacceptable levels. I do not want to sign up for 18 months and this happens. Does anyone else have any experience of this or how it got resolved, if indeed it did?
  • Gary1963
    Gary1963 Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Also the app does not let you apply for the discount. My cousin's speed is 10. The guaranteed minimum is 25. Chatted online and was told that it should allow you to request the discount. It doesn't!
  • esuhl
    Thanks, Im already now using the ethernet cable as suggested by vodafone plugged straight into the router but its still really slow, averaging around 8mbs - was as low as 1 this evening but it still says 40mbps as the sync speed on the app. I will continue to speak to their tech team about that but if they are only looking at sync speed now they won't take any responsibility so I might have to change providers.

The sync speed is normally a good indication of the speed your router is getting, and if you just have a single device connected, you should be able to download at (fairly close to) that speed.

If the Ethernet connection is still really slow, Vodafone should help you regardless of the displayed sync speed.

Definitely give them a call and ask them to look into it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure