Camino Frances Last 100km

Hi

I am thinking of doing the Camino France last 100km in September this year. I have not done any part of the Comino Way before but have been told this is a good route for beginners to get a good feel for the walk. I would hope to do the 100km in 6 days or so. I would prefer to stay in B&Bs as opposed to hostels as I would like to get a good nights sleep. I am happy to carry my own rucksack.

I was looking at tour operators would can organize the whole trip but they are very expensive and would put the trip out of my reach financially.

Has anyone done this route before and if so can you recommend reasonably priced B&Bs along the way. Can you also advise of the closest airport to fly into and any other information which may be useful.

Thanks very much
Val :)

Comments

• https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-frances.12/

This forum is full of useful information.

It's something I've always hoped to do myself. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful experience.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    not sure how much research you've already done - but the last 100km finishing in Santiago de Compostela is entirely within Galicia (Spain).
    You might find this useful for flights:
    http://www.galiciaguide.com/Flights.html
    but I think you'll be using ground transport as well, to get to your chosen start point wherever that is (have you decided?)
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just wondering how the two people who responded so helpfully knew that the poster was talking about the Camino de Santiago. I had never heard of the Camino Frances, and wondered whether it was somewhere near Assisi (St Francis).
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    They may have googled it like I did and found that

"The Camino Franc!s or French Way is the most famous of all the Camino de Santiago routes"

https://caminoways.com/ways/french-way-camino-frances
  • AlSto
    AlSto Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Post
    Ermmm...you don't get a tour operator to organise anything. Ludicrous.
    I just jumped on to a Ryanair flight to SCQ and then made my way back to the point I wanted to begin by local transport.
    The reason why I did it that way is that I decided to do it at a moment's notice. I mean I knew absolutely nothing about the Camino whatsoever. I just decided to join a friend.
    I arrived with shorts and T-shirt and met people who were in full ski wear. I didn't even consider I would be walking through snow topped mountains.:D

All I can say is that everyone went out of their way to help me and I had an amazing experience.
    Some people even skipped part of their walk so that they could accompany me.
    I actually went to join someone who was doing the walk from France, without having any idea as to where on the walk they were.
    I found them on the same day that I arrived, with the help of everyone.

So forget about a tour operator. It's your experience. I had nothing booked and there was always a place to stay.
    Just have suitable shoes and protective plasters etc
    Please don't over-organise your trip. Just go with the flow. Some days you might just want to keep walking, but if you have pre-booked accommodation you are stuck.
    Don't do it. Leave it to fate. Test yourself.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    There is a Christian not for profit group who will help with this kind of thing, they were at Greenbelt last year but I can't remember their name.
    This is another organisation it may be worth contacting. https://www.followthecamino.com/camino-de-santiago-routes

There are regular coach trips organised from town in France but I don't know of any from UK.

If you like, PM me and perhaps we could get our heads together as I quite fancy something like this. But it is very a commercial pilgrimage which ruins it for many people.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    Just wondering how the two people who responded so helpfully knew that the poster was talking about the Camino de Santiago. I had never heard of the Camino Frances, and wondered whether it was somewhere near Assisi (St Francis).

Maybe they are like me and into long distance walks. I'm hoping to do the whole thing when I retire. I hate having to try and find accommodation after a days walk, I usually have it all booked before I leave home, ok not so spontaneous, you have to complete your original walk but that's fine by me.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Camino Frances is the French Way!!! See....

Camino Frances or the French Way: the most celebrated Camino
    The Camino Frances, or French Way, is one of the most popular routes among people walking on the Camino de Santiago. It's the chosen route for so many pilgrims because the path has loads of amazing attractions along the way to Santiago de Compostela. It's even mentioned in the Codex Calixtinus, a 12th Century manuscript, and is by far the best-known Camino route internationally. Back in Medieval times, thousands of pilgrims walked the Camino Frances in order to reach the Tomb of the Apostle St James the Greater.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    Camino Frances is the French Way!!! See....

Camino Frances or the French Way: the most celebrated Camino
    The Camino Frances, or French Way, is one of the most popular routes among people walking on the Camino de Santiago. It's the chosen route for so many pilgrims because the path has loads of amazing attractions along the way to Santiago de Compostela. It's even mentioned in the Codex Calixtinus, a 12th Century manuscript, and is by far the best-known Camino route internationally. Back in Medieval times, thousands of pilgrims walked the Camino Frances in order to reach the Tomb of the Apostle St James the Greater.

So you can use google too - just like me and agrinall before you !!
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Airport, Santiago de Compostela, bus to Sarria from there and start walking back to Santiago.

Here are some private accommodations en route.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/hotels-between-sarria-and-santiago.5414/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure