Smart meters - what is the catch?

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2017 at 11:21AM
    Watch one day a smart meter will be responsible for a house fire and watch as the mass panic nationwide to replace all smart meters.

I'm still happy with my old skool meter.
    There are many thousands of fires caused by electric meters..the cause..energy theft when they wire the meter up..smart meters can tell if the meter is being attempted to be bypassed, also the gas meter can as well..Recently my colleague went to a property to read the gas meter, which had just been removed by a gas safe engineer to do some soldering work on the gas pipe, when British Gas rang the occupier to ask why the meter was removed..Smart meters work, and everyone should have one, as they all eventually will in the end..just like other European countries have done, obligatory too..Italy is virtually 100% smart now.
    All electric meters are powered by mains electric before the meter and the cost does not fall to the occupier.The IHD monitor does nt have a battery and is powered by the customers supply, cost is around a quid a year at the most..Smart gas meter has a at least ten year lifespan built in battery
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    There are many thousands of fires caused by electric meters..the cause..energy theft when they wire the meter up..smart meters can tell if the meter is being attempted to be bypassed, also the gas meter can as well..Recently my colleague went to a property to read the gas meter, which had just been removed by a gas safe engineer to do some soldering work on the gas pipe, when British Gas rang the occupier to ask why the meter was removed..Smart meters work, and everyone should have one, as they all eventually will in the end..just like other European countries have done, obligatory too..Italy is virtually 100% smart now.
    All electric meters are powered by mains electric before the meter and the cost does not fall to the occupier.The IHD monitor does nt have a battery and is powered by the customers supply, cost is around a quid a year at the most..Smart gas meter has a at least ten year lifespan built in battery

I'm not saying fire from tampering. I'm saying fire from all the cheap electronics in them, overheating, etc.

I won't get a smart meter until it becomes law that you have to have one with no other options.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Watch one day a smart meter will be responsible for a house fire and watch as the mass panic nationwide to replace all smart meters.

I'm still happy with my old skool meter.
    I'm not saying fire from tampering. I'm saying fire from all the cheap electronics in them, overheating, etc.

I won't get a smart meter until it becomes law that you have to have one with no other options.

It's no different to any other electrical appliance you have in your home, as we've seen recently.

Do you routinely unplug your fridge freezer, for example?
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • gohan2091
    gohan2091 Posts: 301 Forumite
    Is the information on this site true or false then? http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/
  • House_Martin
    gohan2091 wrote: »
    Is the information on this site true or false then? http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/
    Stopsmartmeters.org started off fairly sane with its founder Dr Elizabeth Evans railing against them because she suspected they were affecting her personally through the tiny amount of wifi waves they emitted, (odd that her iphone did nt affect her ).That was a few years ago.They have got more and more ludicrous, last one i looked at, as a member, was "smart meters cause cancer "..Just a hopeless pack of lies now come from this website in their desperation when they see how strongly smart meters have taken hold. Its about time they packed in but they may be making a good living from all the adverts.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    There are many thousands of fires caused by electric meters..
    Many thousands? How many exactly? Where is this information from?
  • House_Martin
    edited 19 July 2017 at 10:43AM
    Many thousands? How many exactly? Where is this information from?
    They are usually small electric fires around the meter itself ( which is bypassed using too thin insulated wire ) which ends up a blackened mess.I have seen enough of those around in the last 20 years.One big fire when the occupants did a runner leaving the house to catch fire .The terraced house was a small scale cannabis farm..Taking my experiences over the years into account and multiplying it throughout the UK and I will be underestimating the number of electric meter fires..There was one in a house opposite mine not too long ago, druggies of course..
    I even have photographs of meters where the idiots have even used uninsulated bare copper wire to bypass the meter, so they had pulled the main fuse as well .No suppliers or DNO s would have been able to correlate all the meter fires in the UK but "many thousands " will be an underestimate IMO
    I have never known a standard electric meter go up or overheat, smart or dumb..they are 100% safe unless the energy thieves get to work..Why do you ask ? its obvious if they use wire too thin its going to overheat once they get their cannabis heat lamps on the go or have electric fires on full blast throughout the house.
    Ah, just seen your little line you include in your posts about "bad karma " so you are a bit of a hippy..enough said lol..
    Any house insurances taken out is wasted because no insurance company will pay out if a fire is caused by meter tampering and that includes landlords who do not check their tenants meters occasionally..Even a "refused access " on a meter reader is enough for the insurance companies to refuse payments in the event that the fiddled meters gas or electric is the cause of the fire/explosion
  • Mr_da
    Mr_da Posts: 122 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Can anyone help with this question.
    I've just moved house and want to contact my energy supplier to get a smart meter installed.
    The problem is that the gas meter box has no door on it and a crack in the box which is in the part which goes in the wall cavity. I know I can get an over box to cover the part which is open to the elements, but would a provider still fit a smart meter with a crack on the box in the wall?
  • House_Martin
    Mr_da wrote: »
    Can anyone help with this question.
    I've just moved house and want to contact my energy supplier to get a smart meter installed.
    The problem is that the gas meter box has no door on it and a crack in the box which is in the part which goes in the wall cavity. I know I can get an over box to cover the part which is open to the elements, but would a provider still fit a smart meter with a crack on the box in the wall?
    To the best of my knowledge the only thing that any supplier will replace free of charge is a broken latch door triangle and that is it..whole doors , forget it .The entire box is owned by the person who owns the property.If you need the inner section repairing or the door replacing the costs fall upon the owner..Doors I m sure are available on the internet and I would think the inner crack can be bodged up with fibreglass rather than replaced. I have seen many doors where the occupier has made it out of plywood and done a good job, better than the original.
  • alderpoint wrote: »
    What I can see is suppliers structuring their charging such that using electricity in the off-peak periods is cheaper then using electricity in the peak periods - like Economy7 but much much more fine-grained control. This will happen as whitegoods (fridge/freezers, washing machines/dryers and dishwashers) before more intelligent and can get an indication from your electricity supplier of the current cost of power, and delay the next part of their cycle for a (short) while until the cost goes back down again.

I haven't read all the replies so this may have been covered, but in such a scenario how do you check your bill?

At the moment I can read the meter, know how much I've used and the cost per unit.

But if costs vary during the day there will be know way of checking that I can see.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure