PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Comments

• greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's been great to see the comments about "Half of a Yellow Sun". I don't have time to get a run a my reading at the moment as I have my grandchildren staying this week, so that's not helping me get into it.

I'm another Phryne Fisher fan, but I haven't read one of the books for ages. I've made do with the TV series, which I actually did enjoy.
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I've only just started this month's book group choice - I couldn't see the print on the first copy!

Luckily they had another in the library. It's Wild, by Cheryl Strayer. Excellent. I couldn't put it down and am half way through. I'm off to the USA tomorrow so will have to leave it here. I can't risk leaving it at DS' place.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have just finished Nashborough by Elsie Burch Donald. I enjoyed reading this book as a 'light' read. The characters in the book were a bit too cliched at times for my liking. Nevertheless, I did care about the characters and wanted to find out what happened to them. It is set in America and starts from the late 1920's and spans a few decades of 2 powerful families in the American South. I would give it 7/10
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Just finished "Once we were Brothers" by Ronald H Balson. It's about two young men who spent their childhood in Poland before it was overrun by Germany in the war and subsequently and ended up on opposite sides of the Holocaust They both survive and the novel starts with them both in the latter stages of their life. A gritty read but found once I'd started it I was reluctant to put it down.
  • loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    I've just read

61y1Q5Wrb5L._AC_US218_.jpg

really good, and not the outcome I predicted :0)

I've not come across this author before, and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series, 'persons unknown' and a 'stand alone' called 'Homecoming'.

I seem to be stalling on crime/similar type fiction at the moment. I keep picking up other books from the library but can't get into anything!
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    i have just finished Things I couldn't tell my Mother by the actress Sue Johnston. I really got drawn into her life story and I loved the fact that even though her relationship was far from perfect with her Mother, writing the book made her unearth really positive aspects of her relationship with her Mother. I found her life fascinating. I would give this book 9/10
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    loocyloo wrote: »
    I've just read

61y1Q5Wrb5L._AC_US218_.jpg

really good, and not the outcome I predicted :0)

I've not come across this author before, and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series, 'persons unknown' and a 'stand alone' called 'Homecoming'.

I seem to be stalling on crime/similar type fiction at the moment. I keep picking up other books from the library but can't get into anything!

I also loved "Missing Presumed" Loocyloo, and then went on to read "Homecoming". I enjoyed it, but be aware that it's not a Crime/Adventure novel. Try Sabine Durrant if that's the genre you like - brilliant writer!
    Normal people worry me.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Let's take a moment to celebrate our poster-girl :T:T:T

3BC4139B00000578-4080652-image-a-12_1483319641002.jpg

Spot the wisdom within the note :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I heartily agree VfM4 There is nothing that compares to opening a book from the library and diving into a different world .In between my library books and book club book I am trying to read and declutter some of my books on my shelves as well I normally have two books on the go at once one in my bag and one by my bed :)
    see my signature below which roughly translates as too many books not enough time :):)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Graham Norton's novel, Holding, had me gripped and smiling from the start! It's very well written, the guy has such a way with words, as we know.

David Mitchell's Back Story was quite amusing and interesting.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure