PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I do apologise, why don't I ask my tenants to add some hypoallergenic rats and their army of friendly fleas to the petting zoo they are creating in my ancestral home.

Your ancestral home? It's a flat you're renting out not flipping Balmoral.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 July 2017 at 1:20AM
    OK, NI number stands for national insurance number. I have heard of it but I can not remember giving it out. I have not had much cause to use these things as I have never technically been 'employed'. I am beginning to think I may have been wrong to trust this agent.
    sorry but I find it impossible to believe anyone who has an ancestral home in the UK does not know what an NI number is, and moreover if you have never been technically employed, then you must have been technically self employed, in which case you would have detailed and intimate knowledge of tax returns and NI since you'd be paying NI as a self employed person every quarter and do a tax return every year.

I'm out,
  • It could be explained by inheritances and trust funds. It would be consistent with what they are claiming.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    It could be explained by inheritances and trust funds. It would be consistent with what they are claiming.

Don't those sorts of people have solicitors and accountants to protect them from themselves?
  • sevenhills wrote: »
    I believe some councils collect dog poo and test its DNA to find dog owners that are not picking up after their dog. So it could be easy ;)

I've always wondered how a dog's DNA is captured in its poo.....but I digress
  • Glbooth3 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity how old are u and was your home passed down to you? NI is basic knowledge and even though I am very early on in the home owner territory I know all that info was needed massively for me to buy a house, get a mortgage etc....reason between the lines it sounds like this is a flat you inherited and then someone called u with something u have little experience in and it all sounded too good to be true you couldn't wait to get in on earning some easy money...

Yes, it was inherited as part of a larger estate, some of which had to be sold off. My late brother organised all things financial and the splitting of the main house. Perhaps there is some truth in what 'u' say and I should have been more careful, but renting was just not something that I had thought of before so I had very little idea of what I was doing. Now I seem to be left with a huge tax blunder as well as some wretched direwolf toasting its paws over the hearth and damn all I can do about it.
  • Glbooth3
    Glbooth3 Posts: 72 Forumite
    Well I hope it's sorted for you, write down an action plan

1. Ring estate agents tomorrow, if can't get hold of by phone then see website for email etc...even send someone local round to them...ask for all receipts, invoices, everything from them...will help you calculate tax amount etc owed (if no experience get a trusted accountant)
    2. Once you have records of all above them contact HMRC, pointless until you know exact figures of what's been earnt, HMRC aren't monsters they just want to collect tax, and will notify you of close to exact figures. Send payment ASAP this sorts that link in the chain.

3. Contact tenants, they may be on your wavelength and are planning on what to do once 12 months is up. only when you know what their plan is can you action anything. Legally yes, you might have to get court involved etc but don't jump the gun until you get all info....

After this experience get a new estate agent pay more attention to what's being done, it's not something you can bury your head in the sand with, hope you get it sorted
  • LuckyG wrote: »
    If that furniture was so important to you then you shouldn't have left it in the property. Even if the tenant didn't have a dog, the furniture could still get damaged.

Domestic rats do not spread the plague :rotfl: that is a ridiculous thing to state. If that was the case I'd be long gone as I've kept rats for more than 15 years.

I value my animals just as much, if not more, than you value your precious furniture.
    If you valued it that much you wouldn't have left it in the property to potentially get damaged.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing! But the furniture is part and parcel of the property, it can't just be moved. The four poster bed is physically affixed to the floor and ceiling, though it isn't much good for sleeping in if you're over 5 foot tall.
  • Glbooth3 wrote: »
    Well I hope it's sorted for you, write down an action plan

1. Ring estate agents tomorrow, if can't get hold of by phone then see website for email etc...even send someone local round to them...ask for all receipts, invoices, everything from them...will help you calculate tax amount etc owed (if no experience get a trusted accountant)
    2. Once you have records of all above them contact HMRC, pointless until you know exact figures of what's been earnt, HMRC aren't monsters they just want to collect tax, and will notify you of close to exact figures. Send payment ASAP this sorts that link in the chain.

3. Contact tenants, they may be on your wavelength and are planning on what to do once 12 months is up. only when you know what their plan is can you action anything. Legally yes, you might have to get court involved etc but don't jump the gun until you get all info....

After this experience get a new estate agent pay more attention to what's being done, it's not something you can bury your head in the sand with, hope you get it sorted

The problem with stage 1 of this is that I can't get in touch with them (him) at all, I have left 20 answerphone messages and no response - I remember they had a very professional looking website which is no longer available and I can't find any documentation whatsoever apart from the contract with does not mention them.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    If all else fails you can always set your dragons on the tenants, their direwolf - I mean Czechoslovakian Wolfdog, and the letting agent. In fact whilst you're at it feel free to take out HMRC, preferably before I have to pay my next bill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure