can csa reduce payments to cover travel expenses

Options

Comments

• SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I don't...but that is because I don't have two weeks where I don't look after the children.

I don't even have one day!
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • BLT_2
    BLT_2 Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    Options
    SingleSue wrote: »
    Well I don't...but that is because I don't have two weeks where I don't look after the children.

I don't even have one day!

Time to kick the NRPs butt methinks, if I didn't time with my kids I would throw myself in the nearest canal with concrete boots on (stylish ones obviously :))
  • Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    Options
    hfr wrote: »
    As said above a variation can be looked but my opinion is that morally the NRP wanting to reduce maintenance payments that ensure your child can eat is morally wrong.
    hfr wrote: »
    Spoken like a person who has never tried to pay bills, rent and still feed the family!

Hi and welcome to the boards

Please can I remind you to have a read of the forum rules before posting? In particular please be nice to all moneysavers sometimes when words are written rather than spoken they can be interpreted very differently.

There are many stories on these boards from both PWC and NRP but in the main we can all see the other side - you can always look back through posts to see where the other person has come from.
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    BLT wrote: »
    The basic premise as I understand it is that the rate is set at 15% for the first child, with a 1/7 reduction for each day the NRP looks after his or her children. However this does not take into account periods where the NRP may have his child for 2 weeks. it is worked out averaged over the whole year

Clearly on 30 pounds a week this does not make much of an impact - however where the figure runs into hundreds of pounds the impact is dramatic. And before anyone comments on the fact that an individual paying hundreds of pounds per month can afford it please remember that the CSA is set at a percentage of your net wage, not your net wage after rent, utilities etc.

Interestingly enough has anyone ever heard of a RP giving up 50 percent of their tax credits for the 2 weeks they dont look after the children :rotfl:

...............................................................................
  • jen_br
    jen_br Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Options
    back to the OP.. We live about a 400 mile round trip from my step son (hes out of school now) but when we were paying we didn't get a discount at all and we struggled.
  • Swagger1980
    Options
    Hi,

Does anyone know if the CSA will allow a variation for excessive Travel to Work costs.

I earn a net income of £1481.34 which is fine however it costs me £418.23 to travel to London each month so I actually take home £1054.79 net.

Obviously I am not going to be able to make rent etc if they base it on the higher amount. It's going to be touch an go based on the lower amount but hey I suspect that the CSA will not allow this to be taken into account :(. If my fears are correct I will have to get a second job?
  • Swagger1980
    Swagger1980 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2011 at 4:26PM
    Options
    Loopy_Girl wrote: »
    And not only that, they are missing out on having their father in their life. It's a horrible situation to be in and more so as your lads are special ones:D but there's nothing that a PWC can do to want a NRP to be in their childrens lives....sadly.
    What about when its the other way round. I have wanted access to see my Daughter at the very least every weekend but the Mother has been very unhelpful in allowing this to happen.

She has always made it difficult for me to see my Daughter. She always makes out that she cannot pay for petrol when I have always offered to pay for it or visit my Daughter at hers. I have had many years where she does not answer my calls or the door or my messages for Months and Months.

In the past year and a half however things were going ok and I was seeing my Daughter about once every two weeks. Not great but it was better than nothing. The Mother had a baby with her new man in November and then bam! That is when she started being difficult again. Not even giving me an excuse for her behaviour.

I have tried calling her. She has now changed her number. I have facebooked her and she has blocked me. I have sent a letter and have had no response so I have tried.

I have been paying £180 into her account going back 6 years (outide of the CSA) which is over the amount that I should be paying and after not having contact from the Mother since before Christmas I decided to cancel the payment to her to see if she would contact me then.

She has gone straight to the CSA.

I'm fine with that as I want to pay for my Child but I believe that I shoudl have the right to see my Daughter. But there are no rights for the NRP in this case. The CSA should refuse payment if the PWC does not provide a reason for non contact.

What I do not understand is that the Parent with care has always said I am a great father so why would she act this way?

What can I do in this situation? I really miss my Daughter!
  • clearingout
    clearingout Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you can push it through court. Money and contact are treated separately. Your child needs financial support regardless of whether or not you see her. If the two were connected, we would have thousands of NRPs choosing not to see their children and not paying maintenance which if course is unacceptable.

I empathize with the situation, though. It's very hard and I can understand why you might stop paying. It is one of those situations where 'two wrongs don't make a right' however.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,

Does anyone know if the CSA will allow a variation for excessive Travel to Work costs.

I earn a net income of £1481.34 which is fine however it costs me £418.23 to travel to London each month so I actually take home £1054.79 net.

Obviously I am not going to be able to make rent etc if they base it on the higher amount. It's going to be touch an go based on the lower amount but hey I suspect that the CSA will not allow this to be taken into account :(. If my fears are correct I will have to get a second job?
    That's not excessive. The HMRC allows 45p per mile to cover mileage expenses from business income. At that rate it's equivalent to about 12,000 miles per year. 200 working days would therefore mean up to about 30 miles each way. As the DWP requires a jobseeker to accept work up to 90 minutes away as reasonable travel to work time you could just about travel 30 miles into London in 90 minutes. Have you considered moving closer to London to reduce your travel costs? Your rent would increase but your travel will go down. A monthly bus pass would then only be £68.40.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • karenx
    karenx Posts: 4,988 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Is the £1481 your take home pay? If so that wil be the figure used. Your travel to work has nothing to do with maintenance so wont be taken into account if you are on CS2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure