Options
123457»

Comments

• Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    Options
    mitzizoe wrote: »
    Advice Please I am desperate!

My ex-husband and I divorced 10 years ago. My daughter who will be 19 in November starts University next month. She has not seen her father for 7 years - her choice not his. During this time he has paid regularly through the CSA, never missing a payment, he has also always sent birthday and christmas gifts to her, which I am grateful for. His CSA payments will now stop, I have asked him to continue to support our daughter through university and he says he would be willing to help out but that he would like to have contact with her - I have spoken to my daughter about this but she is very headstong and says she won't be blackmailed into seeing him and will take him to court for support.
    Can my daughter take her father to court for support whilst she is at university - or do the CSA payments count as periodic payments?
    I would be really grateful for advice.

Sorry but I do agree with Transformer here - she has no wish to see him and yet you want him to support her through uni? If she is that headstrong and independant then let her stand on her own two feet - the decision as to whether she sees him is of course hers, but she should not expect him to support her if she is not willing to have any form of relationship with him.
    CSA_Help wrote: »
    Is this any reason to celebrate :)

Wonder if they can sort the rest of my mess out :rotfl:

Is it any reason to celebrate? I would think so lol! At least now it only means they have the previous mess to sort out without making any further ones!

We too have now ceased liability although that still has to be sorted out as its down to the PWC to stop claiming CB apparently, so we could be here for a while longer!
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • bodas73
    Options
    sorry for hijacking the thread here some great advice being passed around, i like many are trawling through the mine field of fact and fiction when it comes to child support payments, my daughter has just finished A-Levels and turned 18 on May 1st 2011, she has enrolled in Uni and starts that end of September, so im wondering when my payments to her mother will cease, is it basically about now or in the week of her 19th birthday, i was planning on keeping the payments up but would rather pay my daughter the money as she in my eyes is now old enough to be financially responsible.

thanks
  • PreludeForTimeFeelers
    Options
    bodas73 wrote: »
    sorry for hijacking the thread here some great advice being passed around, i like many are trawling through the mine field of fact and fiction when it comes to child support payments, my daughter has just finished A-Levels and turned 18 on May 1st 2011, she has enrolled in Uni and starts that end of September, so im wondering when my payments to her mother will cease, is it basically about now or in the week of her 19th birthday, i was planning on keeping the payments up but would rather pay my daughter the money as she in my eyes is now old enough to be financially responsible.

thanks

Give the CSA a call, and they can check if Child Benefit is still in payment, but generally if the child is going to Uni then CHB ends in the first week of September, so your payments should cease now-ish.
  • RedSky
    RedSky Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    Give the CSA a call, and they can check if Child Benefit is still in payment, but generally if the child is going to Uni then CHB ends in the first week of September, so your payments should cease now-ish.

How are the CSA going to carry out checks in future when the PWC does not receive Child Benefit due to being a higher-rate taxpayer?
  • PreludeForTimeFeelers
    Options
    RedSky wrote: »
    How are the CSA going to carry out checks in future when the PWC does not receive Child Benefit due to being a higher-rate taxpayer?

At this point, your guess is as good as mine, it's something I've asked but not been given an answer.

The child benefit payments have always been used as a guide, not a definitive 'yes or no', so it will be interesting to see what happens in higher-earning families. Does anyone know when the child benefit changes come in?
  • RedSky
    RedSky Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know when the child benefit changes come in?

2013 if nothing has changed - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2010/10/higher-rate-tax-payers-to-lose-child-benefits
  • AyJaydee
    AyJaydee Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can anyone please answer my predicament. A Consent Order was agreed through mediation in 1996 that states "they shall end on the later of the children reaching 18 or ceasing full time tertiary education". My daughter is 18 and intends to go to university for 4 years starting this year. Last week I saw my solicitor because I feel that I may be made redundant and wanted clarification; she said that I am liable for maintenance until my daughter finishes university.
    I looking on the CSA website, and rang them up, the CSA indicates that my commitment ends when she reaches 19yrs. I am not looking to evade responsibilities to my daughter, preferring any continued support to be voluntary; but I do wish to end my ex's hold over me, especially since the agreement says that the money goes to my ex, nothing about paying the money to our Daughter whilst at University. Was my Solicitor correct in saying that my legal obligation continues? And if so, why does this contradict what the CSA said? I looked at The Childrens Act, and the wording was not helpful.
    Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport