quick q if anyone can help

I have moved this to its own thread rather than tagged onto a sticky as I thought it might get more responses.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• thank you soolin :)

can i ask how, from your pov as someone in recruitment, this can disadvantage candidates? it's not something i'm very au fait with as this is the first point in my career that i have considered disclosing health information. obviously it makes a prospective employer aware of a disability when they could opt not to disclose it, and opens them up to discrimination (shouldn't happen but does etc) but aside from that? i'm loathe to say at this point on the application form that i don't have a disability that makes me eligible for a guaranteed interview, when it's something i think i am going to have to disclose to future employers (certainly if only to explain why i'm taking time out of university, and prepare things in case i do have a setback and need time off - fingers crossed i won't, but just in case, i don't want to be leaving anyone in the lurch with absolutely zero warning).

at this point, i'm trying to escape my current job, which is making me desperately unhappy (in part, because of the depression - my employer is unaware, and i am often overloaded with work to the point where i do roughly half an hour unpaid work each shift to try and get a reasonable amount done, even though my contract stipulates that i don't need to achieve a reasonable or set amount of work. this is because a colleague has delegated work to me, and me alone, rather than ask other members of the team to actually do the work they're paid for, and this same colleague is consistently critical of me, with no constructive criticism, goes so far as to imply to my face that i'm incompetent, and when others make mistakes, lectures ME on their mistakes to make sure i don't make them. when i've never made them yet in the course of my employment. and all of this might be easier to cope with and stick out were it not for the fact that i am struggling with my mental health as it is, and that this job was supposed to offer me a distraction from my thoughts and a way to force me to leave the house. so i'm keen to apply seriously for work for the next year, and don't want to disadvantage myself in the process. i had thought that claiming a guaranteed interview at least offered me the chance to demonstrate my capability in person, and was positive in that i was disclosing my situation from the outset rather than springing it on someone at the last minute or after employment?

in terms of being able to cope with interviews - i'm aware and fully prepared to accept that i won't get everything i apply for :) i've had periods of unemployment before, and it took me 2 or so months of applying everywhere to get this current job, with no interviews (until i managed to find a job and wasn't looking for work... THEN the interviews came through). this was when i was applying purely for summer work, and temporary summer positions locally are few and far between -the job i'm in was advertised as permanent, but they offered it to me on a temporary basis as i couldn't commit to permanent. i think because of my situation - i'm applying for fixed contract or temporary work specifically because i can only commit to one year, and any job i take at this stage isn't a 'career' job, it's just enough to give me something to do and enough money to contribute to the household and council tax etc - i'm not overly concerned with what might happen if i got declined at a guaranteed interview because i know my cv is fairly strong; and i guess the way i see it is, if my application were to normally be overlooked because of an error that would prevent me from getting to interview anyway, claiming an interview would mean that i would be offering another factor to be considered under (so in addition to my cv, covering letter, application form, also interview performance)? unless i would still be rejected regardless with no consideration for how i performed at interview, and would just be wasting my and their time?
    Comping since August 2022
    - bottle of 7up, brewdog glass
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport