Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Leard91
    • By Leard91 22nd Oct 19, 4:43 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Leard91
    Buying a house without a garage conversion
    • 22nd Oct 19, 4:43 PM
    Buying a house without a garage conversion 22nd Oct 19 at 4:43 PM
    I'm in the process of buying a house that has both a roof and a garage conversion into living space.

We've just had our Homebuyers report back and the surveyor notes there are no documents confirming the conversions have been done to building regulations.

Speaking with the agents I've found out that the roof conversion has the documents. However the garage doesn't. Because it wasn't done to building regulations.

The agents confirmed that the sellers are happy to pay for an indemnity insurance policy for us on this however. What this means I don't really know.

Also the double glazing windows fitted were done by family and so there is no FENSA certificate for them. Again the sellers are happy to buy indemnity insurance for us.

My concern is now what happens when we want to sell the house, and how much of an issue this will really be?
    Last edited by Leard91; 22-10-2019 at 4:49 PM.
Page 1
    • sooty&sweep
    • By sooty&sweep 22nd Oct 19, 5:06 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 1,514 Thanks
    sooty&sweep
    • 22nd Oct 19, 5:06 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 5:06 PM
    Hi

I'm no expert but I'd want to know in what ways it's not compliant & if it will effect whether you can use the space.

Is it going to create alot of work & cost you money to rectify ?

Jen
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 22nd Oct 19, 5:34 PM
    • 10,241 Posts
    • 13,009 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 22nd Oct 19, 5:34 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 5:34 PM
    Indemnity policy is pointless as after 1 year the council can't take enforcement action for building regs breach unless the work is actually dangerous.

But with no building regs you have no reassurance whatsoever that the work was actually done to any minimum standard.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 22nd Oct 19, 9:34 PM
    • 6,824 Posts
    • 10,853 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 22nd Oct 19, 9:34 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 9:34 PM
    So you are thinking of paying for a house with a garage conversion that hasn't been done properly? How much extra are you being expected to pay for that over the cost of a house where the garage hasn't been changed? You don't want to pay extra for something that you might have to do yourself.
    • Alan2020
    • By Alan2020 22nd Oct 19, 10:22 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    Alan2020
    • 22nd Oct 19, 10:22 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 10:22 PM
    Depends on which part of the country and there are many reasons why people donít bother:
    1. Maybe built badly
    2. Unrealistic insulation standard leaving little headroom due to planning restrictions, so use thinner insulation.
    3. Want more glass area than meeting insulation
    4. No point paying an extra money, sliding doors cost £500 with 10 year warranty, we have 3 sliding doors, if I DIY, total cost £1500, for a piece of paper FENSA and indifferent installation total cost £7000, now work out the cost for entire house. No smart person will bother paying for cons like this. I had to redo all gaps in previous home with FENSA install.

Look at house with eyes open and pay accordingly.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 23rd Oct 19, 8:27 AM
    • 29,805 Posts
    • 102,892 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 23rd Oct 19, 8:27 AM
    • 23rd Oct 19, 8:27 AM
    The garage conversion may give issues down the line that aren't apparent yet if it's recent.

Integral and 'joined-on' garage conversions are 'normally' permitted from a planning perspective, so a lack of paperwork suggests an overall bodge intended to dodge the extra work needed for building regs. That extra work is often the difference between a pleasant extra space and one with condensation issues, or worse.

Personally I wouldn't pay a lot extra for the added area if it has a ??? over it, but then I did our garage properly.
    Things are more like they are right now than they've ever been.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,069Posts Today

7,923Users online

Martin's Twitter