PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Areas in Surrey/Hampshire/Berkshire to buy in

Options

Comments

• chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I moved to Bracknell and really like it, direct line to Waterloo if that works for you
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Milerix wrote: »
    Paddington works ok if the train is very quick (which is why Twyford made the cut) but I need to get to the City so Waterloo is better. Our jobs are in quite different places so a lot is about finding that spot in the middle!
    I'm in the City and wouldn't fancy getting a tube to Paddington every day. That will add up to 30 mins to your journey (15 mins if you're VERY lucky and literally next to somewhere like Moorgate and the platforms are near each other at Paddington. It can be a bit of a walk from train to tube, not to mention the hoards of people and waiting times for tubes).

Is it family that's in Staines? Could this be the time to move slightly further away and consider Herts or Essex?
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Reading? Then you have choice of Waterloo or Paddington. I lived there for the best part of 30 years and it really isn't a bad town at all.
  • Milerix
    Milerix Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I moved to Bracknell and really like it, direct line to Waterloo if that works for you
    I've mostly seen new houses on sale there, but I may look again! I've heard some opinions that the morning traffic is bad due to overdevelopment, are you not finding it to be the case? Perhaps some parts are not as bad as others?
  • Milerix
    Milerix Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    I'm in the City and wouldn't fancy getting a tube to Paddington every day. That will add up to 30 mins to your journey (15 mins if you're VERY lucky and literally next to somewhere like Moorgate and the platforms are near each other at Paddington. It can be a bit of a walk from train to tube, not to mention the hoards of people and waiting times for tubes).

Is it family that's in Staines? Could this be the time to move slightly further away and consider Herts or Essex?

That's good to know, my current commute is 40 mins by tube and I don't want to go beyond 90 when moving out! (Though hopefully more like 75)
    My husband's job is in Staines area so can't quite escape that :)
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've mostly seen new houses on sale there, but I may look again! I've heard some opinions that the morning traffic is bad due to overdevelopment, are you not finding it to be the case? Perhaps some parts are not as bad as others?

There's loads of older house for sale :)

I don't think the traffic is bad, I drive to work (in Bracknell) every day
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    That's good to know, my current commute is 40 mins by tube and I don't want to go beyond 90 when moving out! (Though hopefully more like 75)
    My husband's job is in Staines area so can't quite escape that :)
    Ah, that makes it trickier then!

I go out in Marylebone a lot and occasionally Paddington as a friend is in Reading. From work (nr Liv St) to Marylebone, it usually takes around 30 mins door to door. I think the quickest was maybe 20 mins at an absolute push. That's from 6pm. I should imagine morning rush hour might be a bit of a mare with loads of people all arriving by train and heading for tubes.

You should definitely try a dummy run before committing.

No idea re Staines trains so can't help choose an area unfortunately. I'm sure the Waterloo trains to Reading are mega slow (am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong). My friend usually heads for Paddington, even if we're nearer Waterloo, as it's loads quicker.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Ah, that makes it trickier then!

I go out in Marylebone a lot and occasionally Paddington as a friend is in Reading. From work (nr Liv St) to Marylebone, it usually takes around 30 mins door to door. I think the quickest was maybe 20 mins at an absolute push. That's from 6pm. I should imagine morning rush hour might be a bit of a mare with loads of people all arriving by train and heading for tubes.

You should definitely try a dummy run before committing.

No idea re Staines trains so can't help choose an area unfortunately. I'm sure the Waterloo trains to Reading are mega slow (am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong). My friend usually heads for Paddington, even if we're nearer Waterloo, as it's loads quicker.

Yes, pretty slow (we always called it the Gumby Train :)). Fine if you're in no particular hurry but even during peak hours (when it doesn't stop quite so often) it still takes well over an hour to travel from Waterloo to Reading (as opposed to less than 40 minutes from Paddington). On the other hand, Staines is on the line so it's direct of course.
  • HHarry
    HHarry Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Farnborough isn't a bad choice - if you can find something you like.

Having lived here for 40 years I'd say it's not hugely exciting, but it is very convenient and has good facilities, especially for bringing up a family.

50 mins to London. Just over an hour to the coast. An underwhelming town centre, but Basingstoke is just down the road. Major hospital just up the road. Senior schools don't have amazing ratings.

Your budget will get you plenty of house, particularly compared to some of your other options.

Fleet is only one stop further on and is probably viewed as slightly more upmarket.
    Farnham has a better reputation, and the town in nice, but it still has some ropey areas.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Gotta agree with you Dave...

There was me thinking a BA postcode and I knew you would be a little more SW than me!

I used to be a little left of centre with a BA1 postcode....

Then I became more extreme and went EX.

Still a long way to go to reach TR though! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family