Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • truescot
    • By truescot 15th Sep 19, 10:48 PM
    • 156Posts
    • 21Thanks
    truescot
    Cheapest (or free) Microsoft office?
    • 15th Sep 19, 10:48 PM
    Cheapest (or free) Microsoft office? 15th Sep 19 at 10:48 PM
    I really need to find the cheapest best way of having lifelong access to Microsoft Office. We had 12 months subscription with a new laptop which has now expired but need word, ppt, publisher etc for files for my new business. I'm sure I can get it cheaper than the 79.99 I'm being asked to pay?

Tried Open Office free software but the formatting isn't always the same so that's too much hassle.

Advice needed...thanks!
    Skint: (adjective) The tendency to turn off the grill when turning the bacon.

Think skint - it makes things simpler
Page 3
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 23rd Sep 19, 5:46 AM
    • 4,231 Posts
    • 5,657 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Until I retired from designing and printing business stationery and other products, I used MS. Office and Publisher. When those products moved on and in the case of Publisher stopped being produced, I used Open Office. I still use OO and have not found anything that I cannot do with it. Downloading the latest setup from Apache* presents an Installation of any or all of the features. These are: -

Writer (word processor) Writer creates letters, books, reports, newsletters, brochures, and other documents.
    Calc (spreadsheet) ...
    Impress (presentations) ...
    Draw (vector graphics) ...
    Base (database) ...
    Math (formula editor)
    All of these can be setup to convert Microsoft Office equivalents. Libre Office is very similar I am informed, but I have only used Open Office.

*Apache has the official download: https://www.openoffice.org/download/
    Originally posted by Robisere
    so you were not putting together business documentation, spreadsheets, databases etc. but just things that can be printed.

Watch formatting of a slightly complex document fall apart when it goes from Libre Office to Word or vice versa. Or spreadsheets fail because formulas don't work.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 23rd Sep 19, 10:47 AM
    • 6,159 Posts
    • 2,500 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    In what context?
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Potential compatibility issues as most schools and businesses use Microsoft office
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,114Posts Today

8,258Users online

Martin's Twitter