Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Crimson60
    • By Crimson60 12th Jul 19, 1:08 PM
    • 696Posts
    • 158Thanks
    Crimson60
    Lightweight travel scooter
    • 12th Jul 19, 1:08 PM
    Lightweight travel scooter 12th Jul 19 at 1:08 PM
    I have looked on line and it is a bit difficult to know how to choose, or find impartial advice. Any experience would help a lot.

I am looking for information about searching for a small lightweight electric sit on folding scooter. The lady, who is saving up at present, is 4' 10" and weighs about six and a half stones. Would like the option, when scooter is folded, to pull it along like a trolley and take on the bus. Would like to be independent for as long as possible and be able to fold and assemble it unaided if possible. Has no car but ideally if, when necessary, would like scooter to fit in a car boot.

I wonder if any very light ones would not be strong enough, reliable or robust enough to last - this would be a 'one off' purchase not likely to be replaced. Has stairs at present although, if necessary, could be kept for short periods during the day in locked 'communal' bin store.

Not quite at the stage of going into a disability shop or searching for second hand yet - trying to do homework in advance but choices seem a bit overwhelming.

Any advice would be great, thank you.

Crimson
    Last edited by Crimson60; 12-07-2019 at 1:37 PM.
Page 1
    • Crimson60
    • By Crimson60 12th Jul 19, 1:17 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Crimson60
    • 12th Jul 19, 1:17 PM
    • 12th Jul 19, 1:17 PM
    We did not know that, PasturesNew, as lots of people seem to use them on pavements and in shops. Would be very dangerous on roads. Where could I search for the legal information for her, thank you?

Crimson
    • Crimson60
    • By Crimson60 12th Jul 19, 1:27 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Crimson60
    • 12th Jul 19, 1:27 PM
    • 12th Jul 19, 1:27 PM
    Sorry, PasturesNew - I mean the 4 m.p.h. mobility type to sit on. Only just beginning to do some homework and did not know I was using the wrong description. I have edited and put in 'sit on' thank you.

Crimson
    Last edited by Crimson60; 12-07-2019 at 1:39 PM.
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 12th Jul 19, 1:43 PM
    • 5,260 Posts
    • 5,783 Thanks
    ariba10
    • 12th Jul 19, 1:43 PM
    • 12th Jul 19, 1:43 PM
    JThere are quite a few of what you are looking for about but they are in the 2000.00 plus price range.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 12th Jul 19, 5:44 PM
    • 6,117 Posts
    • 5,655 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 12th Jul 19, 5:44 PM
    • 12th Jul 19, 5:44 PM
    Has comments been removed or am i not seeing some comments? It seems like crimson is talking to theirself.

I know you said the person wasn't at the stage of going to a mobility shop but in my opinion that's really the only way they will know what's suitable. This way she will be able to try some out to see what suits her best.
    • Crimson60
    • By Crimson60 12th Jul 19, 8:50 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Crimson60
    • 12th Jul 19, 8:50 PM
    • 12th Jul 19, 8:50 PM
    Has comments been removed or am i not seeing some comments? It seems like crimson is talking to theirself.

I know you said the person wasn't at the stage of going to a mobility shop but in my opinion that's really the only way they will know what's suitable. This way she will be able to try some out to see what suits her best.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Yes PasturesNew removed some replies because it was thought I was interested in an adult scooter (like the child's version only for an adult) and not a sit on mobility type. I hope this makes sense, thank you.

Crimson
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jul 19, 8:55 PM
    • 67,380 Posts
    • 305,458 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 12th Jul 19, 8:55 PM
    • 12th Jul 19, 8:55 PM
    I am actually looking for the exact same thing!
    So any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 16 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • jewelly
    • By jewelly 12th Jul 19, 10:30 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    jewelly
    • 12th Jul 19, 10:30 PM
    • 12th Jul 19, 10:30 PM
    A friend is looking at these

https://efoldi.com/
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jul 19, 10:47 PM
    • 67,380 Posts
    • 305,458 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 12th Jul 19, 10:47 PM
    • 12th Jul 19, 10:47 PM
    A friend is looking at these

https://efoldi.com/
    Originally posted by jewelly
    Wow, just wow.
    More than my budget though.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Crimson60
    • By Crimson60 13th Jul 19, 8:41 AM
    • 696 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Crimson60
    Wow, just wow.
    More than my budget though.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    This could be ideal for the lady in question. I know it is likely to be above her budget as she wondered about a good second hand one being a possibility.

As it is important and would help her a lot, but not very urgent, this one in the link could be a real possibility. She is saving for one and is eager for advice/recommendations such as this one. Thank you very much for this link and good suggestion, jewelly.

If your friend buys this one would you consider letting us know how they get on, please? It would be good to know how robust it is when, eventually, it would possibly be in daily use.

Crimson
    Last edited by Crimson60; 13-07-2019 at 8:50 AM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jul 19, 9:01 AM
    • 67,380 Posts
    • 305,458 Thanks
    beanielou
    This could be ideal for the lady in question. I know it is likely to be above her budget as she wondered about a good second hand one being a possibility.

As it is important and would help her a lot, but not very urgent, this one in the link could be a real possibility. She is saving for one and is eager for advice/recommendations such as this one. Thank you very much for this link and good suggestion, jewelly.

If your friend buys this one would you consider letting us know how they get on, please? It would be good to know how robust it is when, eventually, it would possibly be in daily use.

Crimson
    Originally posted by Crimson60
    So having looked into this further I could get one through kickstart at a cheaper price of 1299 I think it was but not until December. I have asked efoldi to confirm that this is correct. It looks like just what I want. However I really want it before December. Also not sure about the kickstart thing. There is a FB page.

***Keep plodding***
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 13th Jul 19, 10:56 AM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 72,831 Thanks
    D_M_E
    The first thing to decide on is does she want a 3 whell or 4 wheel scooter?

Next, as she is only 58 inches tall she most likely does not weigh much so would not require anything big.

Next, how often would it be used, and how far would it need to travel when in use and mhow long would it be used for at any one time - deciding or looking at this would give an idea of what to look at.

Next, does it have to come apart to put in the back of a car? Some do but there are some travel ones that don't.

You say you can tow it on a bus, but have you contacted the bus company and asked if they will allow the things on their vehicles - some do but others don't.

Once the above have been considered then you can start looking.

Also you need to take into consideration that some kerbs do not have a dropped section which scooters can use to get on or off kerbs and very often if they do some idiot has parked right in front of the dropped bit rendering it useless.

EDIT - these things start at about 400 brand new and can be had from 50 second hand but would advise if you go for a used one then allow up to an extra 50 for new batteries.
    Last edited by D_M_E; 13-07-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    • Crimson60
    • By Crimson60 13th Jul 19, 4:39 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Crimson60
    Thank you for all these things to consider, D_M_E. I have bookmarked this thread as there is so much to consider and it is all really helpful.

It would not have to be used every day just yet but she would prefer one likely to last a while and would need more use in future. An easy to fold lightweight (not too big) one would make storage and transport easier. Wants as much independence for as long as possible to do shopping and go out on bus or train alone when able to. Something lightweight which could be pulled along like a trolley when not in use - also to get on to the bus etc. The expensive eFOLDi one (as linked to above on Post #9) looks very good.

Not needed for long journeys - pavement only and probably return trips of about 6-8 miles round journey as a maximum to local shops and Health Centre etc. The local buses can accommodate wheelchairs, manual and electric and even twin size baby buggies, so, if folded easily, should take a small lightweight scooter.

Would like to take it (rarely) on U.K. bus tour holidays. Can walk some short distances unaided at present.

Not urgent yet and is still saving. All the information and things to consider are very much appreciated, thank you.

Crimson
    Last edited by Crimson60; 13-07-2019 at 8:10 PM.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 13th Jul 19, 5:28 PM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 72,831 Thanks
    D_M_E
    Just because the buses will take pushchairs, wheelchairs and the like does NOT mean they will take mobility scooters.

You need to ASK the company what their policy on the things is.

This also goes for the bus tour companies - a lot of them will not carry scooters and they will not allow their drivers to lift them into the luggage compartment, nor will they allow the rider's assistant, if one is present, to put the thing on the bus - I write from experience.

As for trains - again, you need to ask the train operators what their policy is - some will take them, no problem, just roll up and take it on the train, but others require you to book them on the train and give them notice.

Return trips of 6-8 miles - I'll have a look and come back tomorrow when I've got a spare few minutes, but would say that she needs something which is light and has either a single 32ah battery or two batteries ether 15ah or 17ah each. There are some which have a claimed range of 10 miles but they have two 12ah batteries and may not manage 6-8 miles.

With distance, you also need to take into account any slopes or hills, if the terrain or distance travelled is/would be all on the flat then not much problem, but if any slopes or hills are involved then going up them would, depending on the gradient, gobble up the battery's power, as would dodging any uneven pavement or potholes or even traversing cobbles if there are any in her area.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jul 19, 5:33 PM
    • 67,380 Posts
    • 305,458 Thanks
    beanielou
    D_M_E. Thanks for your input.

I am looking for something that is not too heavy and folds.
    If you point me in the right direction that would be just great.

Thanks

***Keep plodding***
    • Crimson60
    • By Crimson60 13th Jul 19, 8:09 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Crimson60
    Glad of all your knowledge, thank you D_M_E.

Although it is very expensive, what is your view on the eFOLDi, please?

Crimson
    Last edited by Crimson60; 13-07-2019 at 8:12 PM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jul 19, 8:24 PM
    • 67,380 Posts
    • 305,458 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad of all your knowledge, thank you D_M_E.

Although it is very expensive, what is your view on the eFOLDi, please?

Crimson
    Would you be happy to pay now but wait til DEcember to get it?
    I am unsure

***Keep plodding***
    • jewelly
    • By jewelly 13th Jul 19, 8:34 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    jewelly

Crimson
    Yes, I will feedback and let you know how he gets on. He first saw it advertised on TV and is going to ask for a home demonstration first. He is about 7st in weight with very little muscle and intends taking it on the bus to town and then getting around the town centre shops before returning via the bus. It does look ideal.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 13th Jul 19, 11:15 PM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 72,831 Thanks
    D_M_E
    The efoldi looks innovative, but I think there is too much room between the seat and the tiller for a 7 stone person, I think it would be too big for someone so small.

From the usage description in the original post, I think it's not a travel scooter that's needed, more something a little more sturdy yet still light and easy to handle.

I've had a quick look and think the Abilize Trident 3-wheel would do the job - you will have to do a search for it, I can't do copy and paste on the phone - it comes apart in 5 bits, battery box, rear wheel section, front bit, seat and basket, has a total weight including batteries of 42Kg and easily dismantles and reassebles. Has an onboard charger too.

If you do choose this or something similar then ask for the larger batteries for a better range.

Am sure there's someone local who has one, I'll go round and ask what they think of it and see how they move it about and report back.
    • Crimson60
    • By Crimson60 14th Jul 19, 9:04 AM
    • 696 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Crimson60
    Thank you so very much. It is a lot to think about and the replies have given lots to check out and, using the helpful links and information, discuss with the lady. She is thinking ahead and saving for when she can buy the right one for her - considering she will be less able in the future.

She has stairs at present and is thinking about alternative housing - but probably not affordable and folding scooter would be a great help to her.

I'll keep checking here for any more posts - all great and already very much appreciated, thank you all and D_M_E for good advice. I have looked at the link you gave and it looks good and much better for the lady's budget.

Crimson
    Last edited by Crimson60; 14-07-2019 at 9:29 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,446Posts Today

8,111Users online

Martin's Twitter