Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Garfieldrocks
    • By Garfieldrocks 7th Jul 19, 2:42 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Garfieldrocks
    Renting and online bidding
    • 7th Jul 19, 2:42 PM
    Renting and online bidding 7th Jul 19 at 2:42 PM
    Hi everyone,
    My daughter is coming to the end of her 3 yr Midwifery course at Uni. She's just had a bid accepted on a place to rent, via an online letting agency. We're new to this system of house-hunting (have looked at lots of MSE posts to see if this topic has been covered before).

My question is, are there any checks and balances in place for online bidding like this, as it seems it could be open to abuse by rogue landlords/letting agents? It's not an open system as there's no way of checking who/if there really are other bidders (I appreciate the need for data protection/privacy). The rent went up by nearly 10% from what was advertised. This is a lot for someone in her circumstances. Is this normal?
Page 1
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 7th Jul 19, 2:53 PM
    • 6,387 Posts
    • 9,036 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 7th Jul 19, 2:53 PM
    • 7th Jul 19, 2:53 PM
    I've not heard of it before with a rental property. There are informal negotiations which will sometimes encourage a LL to take one tenant as opposed to another in high demand areas. I have so far only found one company that openly carries out bidding for rental properties as well as purchase properties https://www.letsbidproperty.co.uk/

This company is supposed to be pretty new.., surely they haven't taken over the rental market locally? I just wonder if there are other more traditional LA's in the area?

Its like when I was looking for a rental property, I avoided LA's with high admin charges (£600 compared to £100).

I don't think there is anything to stop bidding on rental properties or cap it. Just a case of voting with your feet. If your daughter can't afford to outbid others (which I can understand) in a high demand area, she will have to resort to traditional LA's. It does seem like an idea that is open to problems for prospective tenants.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 07-07-2019 at 3:01 PM.
    • Frannki
    • By Frannki 23rd Oct 19, 12:41 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Frannki
    • 23rd Oct 19, 12:41 AM
    Open bidding
    • 23rd Oct 19, 12:41 AM
    I have been bidding for 4 years now , my first bid is now 5th and my second bid is the 6th in the queue and it both shows “open”
    Is there a chance in getting the property?
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 23rd Oct 19, 8:11 AM
    • 6,666 Posts
    • 8,732 Thanks
    pinkteapot
    • 23rd Oct 19, 8:11 AM
    • 23rd Oct 19, 8:11 AM
    I have been bidding for 4 years now , my first bid is now 5th and my second bid is the 6th in the queue and it both shows “open”
    Originally posted by Frannki
    You should start a new thread as you're talking about a different topic. The original post here was about an unusual method of advertising private rentals. It sounds like you're talking about council housing.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 23rd Oct 19, 8:22 AM
    • 6,795 Posts
    • 10,822 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 23rd Oct 19, 8:22 AM
    • 23rd Oct 19, 8:22 AM
    Originally posted by Frannki

It will depend on your need.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 23rd Oct 19, 12:35 PM
    • 10,610 Posts
    • 14,725 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 23rd Oct 19, 12:35 PM
    • 23rd Oct 19, 12:35 PM
    A tenant is at liberty to rent from whoever they like - or not - subject to no unlawful discrimination.

Ditto a landlord is at liberty to rent to such tenant etcetc.

Lawful discrimination for landlords would be eg - over tenants ability to pay or good track record of paying in full on time & looking after their homes
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,708Posts Today

8,982Users online

Martin's Twitter