Anyone studied for an Open University degree at 18?

My son and I were discussing his plans for the future, and he would like to know if it is viable to do a degree through Open University straight from 6th form College.
He has a part time job, and he would rather carry on working and live at home while studying, as doesn't want to run up debt for rent and bills while at university.

Has anyone on this board managed it?

Comments

• Friday1989
    Friday1989 Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    I started at the OU when I was 22 and I would definitely recommend it. There were quite a few people in their late teens and early 20s so although at 18 he would definitely be the youngest, he wouldn't look out of place at tutorials.

For me it was health issues that made me decide to go down the OU route but I would do it again even if I hadn't have been too unwell to go to a brick uni. I love the flexibility of the OU both in terms of pace and subjects. I did an Open degree which meant I could choose modules from any discipline and create my own degree.

One thing my mum was concerned about was whether it would be well regarded. I think it definitely is. I got into an oversubscribed graduate programme immediately after I got my degree and the reaction from employers has always been good.

He could always take one or two modules and see how he feels. There's the possibility of transferring to some brick unis if you successfully complete 120 credits too.
    Mortgage at 30: £204,750  (08/2020)
    Current mortgage: £154,369 (02/2024)
    Goal: £145,000 by 02/2025
    End goal: Mortgage free asap! 
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I have an OU degree that I did at 22 (and I have progressed very well in my career,and I'm getting towards the end of it)

I know someone who is doing theirs starting at 19, much for the reasons you mention. With my MSE head on it seem to make good sense on the course costs and living costs.

They do miss out on some of the "university experience" but for some a quieter, less stressful time is more desirable.

I'd recommend starting with just once module in the first year, and picking a sensible, coherent and marketable degree. Their are guides on their site to help with this.
  • Also worth considering the University of London International programmes. They offer academic direction by universities such as LSE, and have a good range of subjects.
    Not an expert, but like pensions, tax questions and giving guidance. There is no substitute for tailored financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure