PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

For those aged 26-36 (Your housing situation)

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Do you have a link?
    It doesnt match what others have found so I’m curious and doesn’t sound right as roughly 30% never earn enough to own.

I reckon you’ve got a figure for private rentals only and assumed everyone else owns which is incorrect.
    Some are in social housing, some in care facilities, some with relatives and some in hospital (but mainly social housing).
    Indeed, there'll be a large number in social housing (we know that from all the posts here from people desperate to "help" their older relatives to exercise their Right to Buy...), and at the upper end of the age range plenty who have sold their last property and are now in nursing homes or other assisted accommodation, or staying with family.
  • When myself and my husband divorced we were both renting for a while, and our two new partners had also divorced previously and had rented like their exes. That's six people who went from owning to renting in their 40s. Messy but worth it
  • homeless9
    homeless9 Posts: 340
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Having kids means a commitment to look after them and the woman only stays in the home if she is the main carer, so it’s only for the kids benefit.

It is awful if a man gets kicked out of his home, but if you aren’t prepared to prioritise the kids you are not ready for fatherhood.

This is what infuriates me, this culture....

You are accused of 'not prioritising the kids' and being a bad father if you don't let your stay at home ex-partner have the house and the kids. It's ridiculous. It's all a fraud.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'm 31, my husband and I just bought our first house (3-bed detached) this year with a 5% deposit which we raised in a couple of months (half ours, half bank of mum and dad) on a bit of a whim. We'd rented for just under 3 years together, him a couple of years before that and I'd lived with my parents.

The house is big enough (may be a squeeze if we have children, we'd make it work), but I think we're both in agreement that we'd like our 'dream house' at some point, probably 7-10 years or so.
  • Trina90
    Trina90 Posts: 541
    Forumite
    I'm 28. Bought a 3 bed home with my husband nearly 4 years ago. No help to buy scheme. We were looking for a home where we could stay if and when we have children. Never rented but luckily my parents let us stay with them until I was 24 and had built up a deposit.
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000 2016: £130,000 2017: £116,000 2018: £105,000 2019: £88,000 2020: £69,000 2021: £51,195 2023: MORTGAGE FREE!
  • Sirrah67
    Sirrah67 Posts: 72
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    homeless9 wrote: »
    This is what infuriates me, this culture....

You are accused of 'not prioritising the kids' and being a bad father if you don't let your stay at home ex-partner have the house and the kids. It's ridiculous. It's all a fraud.

🙄 Do me a favour, never have children, you are clearly too selfish.
  • mpr87
    mpr87 Posts: 52
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm 31, girlfriend is 30. We are both currently living with our parents but are in the process of buying our first home. Just playing the conveyancing waiting game at the moment.
  • Frugal_Saver
    Frugal_Saver Posts: 318
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I’m 32, I’ve been renting since 18 but I have a 5% deposit and mortgage agreement in principle.

I moved from England to Scotland a few years ago, if I was still in England I don’t think I’d be in a position to buy right now.

I put an offer on a property last week but was outbid. Tomorrow I’m looking at a new build which I could get with the help to buy scheme. I’m going with an open mind but with the way the market is just now it will be easier for me to proceed with a new build as I will probably be outbid on other properties as I can’t offer much more than the valuation price.

I could wait and save more money but I’m fed up paying rent (which is increasing in a few months)
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Current debt £3,250 (29/12/20)
    Current savings £4,950 (29/12/20)
  • GoingOn30
    GoingOn30 Posts: 230
    Forumite
    I'm 30 and partner is 29, both professionals.
    I'd been saving since I graduated at 22 and we bought a 2 bed flat a year ago in South West England.
    We will outgrow it as soon as we have a mobile child (it's very compact with no outdoor space).
    We have a lodger in the spare room at the mo to help pay for a wedding, once the wedding is paid for the lodger money will go towards saving for the next upsize. Hoping in 9-12 months we can look forward to not sharing our home any more and enjoying the space.
  • Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Funds derived from cryptocurrency create an interesting headache from a anti-money-laundering regulations point of view.

Indeed, as well as the tax implications (hopefully the poster has paid the tax due on the gains made, which sound significant).

As to the poll, my understanding from reading other threads is that those around London and the South East are the ones struggling to buy, whereas elsewhere it is a lot easier. I work with someone who must be on £65K plus (before accounting for his wife's salary) in London who says that he doesn't ever see himself being in a position to buy in his part of London (close to Canary Wharf), so it is all relative!

I bought my first flat at 23 in South London, but there is no way I could afford to do that now if I was starting out, so good luck to all of you trying to get on the housing ladder.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure